PDA

View Full Version : hotcams and big bore

2001 trx400ex
06-04-2003, 11:43 AM
i have a hotcam stage 1 and i am dropping in a 426 with 11.1 compression but the hotcam website says the stage 1 isnt good for big bore kits. What is the problem with the stage 1 in big bore motors.

2001 trx400ex
06-04-2003, 02:38 PM
bump

2001 trx400ex
06-04-2003, 06:29 PM
help please

wickedex
06-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Prolly cuz it's too mild a cam. Stage 2 be much betta.:macho

Silverfox@C&DRacing
06-05-2003, 10:32 AM
From what I was told the stage 1 in a big bore actually looses power. they say to go with the stg 2 in any big bore and use the stg 1 in a stock motor.

2001 trx400ex
06-05-2003, 11:23 AM
y would i loose power in a 426

06-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Gonna try to make this simple.

The stage1 doesnt have enough lift to allow enough air and fuel to enter thru the valves into the cylinder of a big bore modded engine, and with the shorter duration on the stage1 it seriously needs more lift. This cam will wake up the average modded stk bore and even some of the less modded 1st overbores etc. but once you increase the engines ability to move air it will want more cam.

Though Hotcam has looked into a cam that would have more lift (more than the stage2) it doesnt sound like they will have one anytime soon.

The stage2 hower does offer more duration and about the same lift to allow the engine to get a larger amount of fuel and air into the engine. The only trade off is if your looking for stump pulling bottom end you still will want more lift.

The longer duration is especially needed in larger bore modded engines that are built for higher rpm power since at higher rpms there is less time avail for the fuel to enter the engine and the added duration allows more time for this to happen.

I have had both of these and the stage2 did open up the mid-top considerably compared to the stage1 with little negative effect on the bottom end.

If you look at the specs the stage1 is a enhanced version of the XR cam showing slightly higher numbers, and at an excelent price but thats about it. It would do wonders for a machine with an intake and exhaust that you just wanted to give an excelent boost to but once you get more serious into this and start spending the bigger bucks its time for a different profile cam.

Though the stage2 isnt the perfect cam for engines built for bottom end torque (funny cause i have one and it was set up for torque LOL) or extreme top end screamers on alchy but will work great in the average higher comp big bore engine with the usuall int and ext mods.

I would compare the performance to the typical aftermarket "track" labled cams due to the similar specs etc, but without needing the additional expense of hardened rockers etc.

Currently I am considering a few different cam grinds to wake up the bottom and mid more as well as retaining the top end punch and one of the biggest problems is that you can not acces the needed info. I have talked to some of the more popular engine builders to try to get an idea of how there stuff would work without getting the specs (they will not give up this info) but so far have not found out anything beyond the fact they claim there stuff works better. I am thinking I will end up with a 479 grind but that requires the hard rockers and I have other issues to take care of before I spend the extra 250.00.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

PS I have a slightly used stage1 if anyone needs a "deal"