PDA

View Full Version : Brake switch mod

RytM1
06-04-2003, 10:15 AM
I just ordered an LED taillight/brakelight from www.atveffects.com , and was going to add the brake switches. Does anyone know where the instructions are that someone posted a while back. I thought it was in the tech section, but it's not. I found a thread doing a search, but all the links in the thread were no good anymore.

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 10:26 AM
$80 for a brake light. Ouch. Guess you don't want to get rear ended.

My buddy rides a warrior and he used to have one on his quad till it broke off. It sure was nice following a quad that had a brake light.

RytM1
06-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it is a bit pricey, but so was the tailight swap on my sportbike. A couple of guys weren't too happy this past weekend, having to follow me with a burnt out taillight, although it's not like I ever had a brakelight. Hopefully the EX will be torn down and parts sent to Pappy by the end of next week. I will get to put it all back together with the new toys (tailight should be here by next week, and the TCS's just showed up today).

Texan32
06-04-2003, 03:11 PM
here's all you have to do (this is how I did it)

under the nose (by the CDI box), there is a white (kinda translucient) 3 pin connector. splice in a wire to the wire that is black WITH SILVER DOTS (NOT the black with white line!!!). This wire is only hot when the key is turned on!

run the spliced wire up to the switch (i'm assuming you have already mounted the switch onto the brake master cylinder). connect that wire to EITHER pin on the switch. take a second wire connect it to the other pin (on the switch) and run that wire back to the brake light. connect that wire to the brighter half of the light you baught.

Hope this helps. let me know if you need more. I did mine a year ago and am VERYT glad i did. I feel much safer when i'm running with the crew, cuz they can see that i am slowing down!

p.s. make sure you get good contact for the ground wire

RytM1
06-05-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks Tex. Am I safe in assuming that the hook up for the rear will be the same way?

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 04:03 AM
Man I can't believe your going to tear it down in the middle of the season. But hey your getting it down for free you lucky SOB.

Texan32
06-05-2003, 10:12 AM
i actually only have mine set up for the front brake lever. I don't know how to set up the back brake. I know i have read it on here in the past though. If i remember correctly, you have to find a switch off of a street bike and go that route.

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Stupid question how do you mount the switch on the master cylindar. Got me confused.

RytM1
06-05-2003, 11:00 AM
I found one thread that someone listed a website that sells an brake switch that seems like a pressure actuated switch. You replace the stock banjo bolts with these (they have a hole in them and a sensor mounted at the end of thebolt). When you apply the brakes, it senses the build op of fluid pressure, and so on. There are also the manual type switches which are strictly electrical. I think what Tex is referring to is that if you look on the bottom of the stock front brake lever, there are holes to mount the switch.

Doug, I know its not the best time to tear it down, but I don't expect to be without for much more than two weeks. With my schedule being what it is, I probably won't be able to get out until at least the end of this month at the earliest anyways.

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Once you figure out how to do yours, let me know, I might have to do it to mine. Just a cheaper version.:devil:

Taco
06-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Here is a kit on ebay. It is for the rear brakes only. I have this kit and am currently rewiring it to use the front brake lever also. I must say its a well put together kit. Cutting out the tailight is the worst part.
OOPS forgot the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43974&item=2417501009

Texan32
06-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Stupid question how do you mount the switch on the master cylindar. Got me confused.

don't rightly know about the rear brake, but if you are talking about the front brake lever, well here ya go. The little switch that is inside the clutch lever assembly. If you look at the bottom side of the front brake lever, you will see that with the correct size screw (not sure about the thread size), the switch bolts right up. That is actually the same brake lever assembly that Honda uses for other bikes that DO have brake lights

RytM1
06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Taco
...Cutting out the tailight is the worst part...
Taco, what did you have to cut out?

Taco
06-06-2003, 01:23 AM
you have to cut out the rear tailight to accept two more light sockets on each side of the stock socket.

06-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Taco
you have to cut out the rear tailight to accept two more light sockets on each side of the stock socket.

Are we supposed to understand what all the babblin is?????
:confused:

RytM1
06-06-2003, 01:35 AM
Shheeeeeeeeeeeet, that won't be happening with the new LED lights. I talked to the guy at AtvEffects about it when I ordered it, and he said that the taillight can be wired up as a taillight, or as a taillight/brakelight combo. It just depends on where one of the wires is hooked up to on the back of the taillight at time of install.