PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield and McCoy lodging

petrucf
06-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi I am going to the Hatfield and McCoy trail system on June 20 with some friends, and I was wondering if someone who has ridden there could recommend what motels or lodging would be the best to stay at. I am interested in riding the bearwallow and rockhouse trailheads and would like to stay somewhere close, and was wondering if you could drive there straight from the motel.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 09:39 AM
They have some cabins in bearwallow that you could stay at. I think that they are associated with Red Anse or something campground. Don't stay at the campground if you tent camping. Its basically a parking lot.

But these cabins I'm talking about are right on the trail and you could ride from them.

Try this website, they have lodging and other info.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

You should wait till we go in July.

luvmyex
06-04-2003, 10:42 AM
I just got back.Try www.thedepotlodge.com It not many frills but its new and Jerry will go out of his way to help ya.Only thing is you have to take your own towels and no phone.Its in Man and about a mile from the rockhouse trailhead and about 20 mins from bearwallow.He will also put ya on some local trails that are pretty good too.Our room was two single beds and a futon.The other had two futons and another bed i think.Both have a fridge and privite showers.He's going to have a pretty good place by the time he's done.Its right beside the store too.

06-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Best place to stay is right here....:D

4punksdad
06-04-2003, 11:17 AM
devil anse campground sux............its a gravel lot next to a trailer park, and the owner "brady" isn't the most friendly fella. He has cabins but they are a ways away from the pay showers and you cant drive your truck to the cabin. We weren't quite sure how to tote all of our gear to the cabins on sport quads. I think anyplace might be better than devil anse. Heck..........ol "shady brady" charged us 9 dollars for a 12 pack of mountain dew one day!

MOFO
06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
I second what Rico said... its one of the nicest campgounds I've ever used... VERY friendly people!

We call that Devils anse, the Devils arse....:D

06-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
Heck..........ol "shady brady" charged us 9 dollars for a 12 pack of mountain dew one day!

ROFLMFAO

4punksdad
06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
I second what Rico said... its one of the nicest campgounds I've ever used... VERY friendly people!

We call that Devils anse, the Devils arse....:D

devil anse is the name of one of the original hatfield family members i believe.
devile anse hatfield.......

06-04-2003, 02:21 PM
devil anse is the name of one of the original hatfield family members i believe.
devile anse hatfield.......

Now I'm ROFLMFAO even harder..

Joe did he ask ya ta hang out in his hot tub too???:eek:

Pappy
06-04-2003, 02:24 PM
lmfao.....now you see why the fued went on so long:p for every nice person ya meet theres an equal number or azzholes:devil: joe im surprised you held back on the ol' boy:eek: :D

YZROOSTINYA
06-04-2003, 11:25 PM
How much was the depot lodge?

I am going from july 3rd to the 12th

place to keep quads?

its a hotel right?

4punksdad
06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lmfao.....now you see why the fued went on so long:p for every nice person ya meet theres an equal number or azzholes:devil: joe im surprised you held back on the ol' boy:eek: :D

i didn't :D

whats funny though..........is that raptor john and the the boys went camping there a couple of months before me and they claimed that brady was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I guess he was having a bad day when we arrived. oh well..........his loss.
I guess I pissed him off when I asked if he had any campsites with grass?:eek2:

06-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

place to keep quads?

its a hotel right?

you gonna stop by cheif logan state park and talk to the rest of us exriders.com guys.???

Ben
06-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by petrucf
Hi I am going to the Hatfield and McCoy trail system on June 20 with some friends, and I was wondering if someone who has ridden there could recommend what motels or lodging would be the best to stay at. I am interested in riding the bearwallow and rockhouse trailheads and would like to stay somewhere close, and was wondering if you could drive there straight from the motel.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Dirt Week is that weekend (the 20th) - so if you don't have a place to stay yet you might have some trouble. It is going to be extremely crowded then, you might want to plan for another weekend ;)

400ex Magnum
06-05-2003, 03:41 AM
I have a big group going in September and we are staying at this place in Man:

www.rockhouselodge.com

Here is some other rental lodge places that you might try that were recommended:

http://www.almostheavenrentals.com

http://www.atvlodge.com

http://webpages.charter.net/bearwallowtrailhouse/

http://browningforktrail.tripod.com/

We only chose the one that we did because the size of our group. We have about 20 some people coming and no one really wanted to camp.

jcsact
06-05-2003, 05:21 AM
We stayed at Almost Heaven Rentals (http://www.almostheavenrentals.com/) in March '03. It is not the Hilton but very nice for ATVing. We rode to the Rockhouse Trails every morning. I don't know if I can post this but go to ATV Time (http://www.atvtime.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi) and most of the people that rent places for Hatfield and McCoy Trials are on that forum. You can talk directly to them.

A guy I use to work with is related to the Hatfield & McCoy's. His Great Great Uncle or Grandfather was Devil Anse Hatfield. They have a Hatfield and McCoy Family Reunion that he goes to every year.

luvmyex
06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

place to keep quads?

its a hotel right?
It was $60 + $5 per extra person.A little high but like i said Jerry really will take care of ya.They are supposed to have a few more rooms by july.No it not a motel.Actually a OLD wharehouse that they are converting to rooms.They are brand new.I think we were the second group to stay there.Only complaints i had was no phone and had to bring our own towels.

monkeyboy
06-06-2003, 06:48 AM
wee likk staayin at da horsy barnz :cool:

MOFO
06-06-2003, 07:32 AM
So your the mofo's that the campground people were talking about. They mentioned one time they found some "backwood's" people staying with their horses.... :eek2: :eek: :confused:

Danny Reed
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
The Mountain Breeze Motel in Gilbert, WV is up and running. Located within a half mile of the Gilbert connector of the Hatfield McCoy Browning Fork Trail.
check out our website www.mtnbreezemotel.com

King07
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
www.livingoodlodging.com is a good place to stay. Randy and Vivian are great people and their rentals are first rate. You can ride to the Rockhouse from the rental through town.

rpyfz450
09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Awesome! What an informative thread!

My friends and I from NJ are looking to spend a few days out there. We're not interested in sleeping in tents.

Can anybody tell me which of these places :

1. you can ride right to the trails without trailering your ATVs?

2. have their own showers in the room/house?

Thanks!

RidinRed420
09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
devil anse campground sux............its a gravel lot next to a trailer park, and the owner "brady" isn't the most friendly fella. He has cabins but they are a ways away from the pay showers and you cant drive your truck to the cabin. We weren't quite sure how to tote all of our gear to the cabins on sport quads. I think anyplace might be better than devil anse. Heck..........ol "shady brady" charged us 9 dollars for a 12 pack of mountain dew one day!

Thats strange that you say that... I am from Boston, MA and I stayed there the one and only time I went to Hatfield McCoy and I thought it was great. We stayed in a cabin, which cost 40$'s a night and we had the entire place to ourselves.. We went in January.. I ride a 300ex, my boyfriend rides a Banshee and our friend was on a quad racer 500.. We just put the stuff in our laps and rode up there, and we had alot of stuff, tools, compresser, coolers, clothes, bedding, two dogs and all of their stuff, small grill a couple of big rubbermaid buckets.. It would have been alot easier if we could have drove the truck there, but it wasn't too bad.. I mean we knew before we got there, that was the rule.

As for the mountain dew, comon man, you didn't have to pay that! Its a friggen camp store, of course they are going to rape you on anything you buy in there... We just hit up the 7/11 that was about 5 minutes down the road..

I really enjoyed staying there... and I can't wait to go back.

Danny Reed
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
rpyfz450 I am not sure about the other places but my brother runs the Mountain Breeze Motel you can ride your AtV everywhere. The trail connector is exactly 1/2 mile from the motel. All you need to bring is your bike and whatever you need to ride. You will have to share the community shower with the other 16 rooms......... ha ha just kidding each room has everything you would expect + direct TV, wireless internet, each room has a small fridge and microwave. They have people in the office 24/7 so your bikes and equipment will be safe and secure. Tell em Danny sent you

trailhouseowner
09-16-2006, 10:06 PM
rpyfz450, we provide lodging in the Gilbert area. If you need lodging and want to find a dependable establishment that has been in business longer than all the others, check us out. We offer clean, affordable places.

But book early! Good lodging books quickly!!

mike426ex
09-23-2006, 01:55 AM
We are going to Rockhouse 9-28 to 10-1. I have been to the Depot and Rockhouse Rentals.

Rochouse rentals is a trailor and you have everything you need right there. (stove, microwave, frig, washer and dryer) The VP is righrt across the tracks. You can get your trail pass and snacks there. John is a really cool guy. We have rented from him 4 or 5 times now.

If anyone is going to be there that weekend, hope to see you out on the trail.

We are the Indiana Boyz...

exrider44
09-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I stayed at the Compton Inn lol. You can leave right from there and get onto the trail system. Also drive into town and get mcdonalds

Danny Reed
09-27-2006, 04:28 AM
The Compton Inn is the same exact place as the The Mountain Breeze. My Brother and sister in law are running it now and have changed the name is all. I couldn't tell if the lol after the name meant you weren't aware of the change or what. I left the website addy in my earlier post. It is a nice ATV friendly place

Happy trails

exrider44
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
the lol was cause the name made me laugh Compton is like a gang area I think. It was a great place to stay. I didnt know they had wireless access there thats sweet

Danny Reed
09-28-2006, 12:05 PM
HA HA yeah the mean streets of Compton. I think Snoop Dog stayed there last week.... not Really.

My brother Bill and his wife Karmen have made some nice changes to the motel. Basically just bringing everything up to date. I know they are in the process of putting new mattresses and carpet in the rooms and started a laundry service for their guests (however muddy) The rate is very reasonable. Strange enough Gilbert doesn't have a laundry mat.

Another interesting thing a lot of people might not know is Bill and his father-in-law Kendell run Gilbert Automotive and Performance which is just down the street. They are among other things a Tucker Rocky distributor. They are increasing their inventory all the time. The best thing in my opinion is if your ATV or Bike breaks in most cases they can get you back on the trail quickly.

If it sounds like I am proud of my little brother you are right I am. He has worked very hard and continues to do so.

Another thing that might be interesting to trail riders is that Bill worked for Hatfield and McCoy back in the mid 90's and was part of the team that made the trail system a world class project. There is a picture of him and two others placing the very first sign on the trail. I think it is on the "about us" page. He and Kendell have a lot of inside knowledge of the area and trail system. They are both available at any time for any questions you might have.

My wife says I am long winded and wordy so I guess I have bored yall enough. www.mtnbreezemotel.com thats the website good stuff on there. There is also a page on the Mountain Breeze website for Gilbert Automotive you may want to check that out as well.

God Speed and Good Luck

trailhouseowner
09-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Gilbert is a very ATV friendly town. We do have a great community. We now have four places that sell ATV parts--Rick's Auto, Mountaineer Motor Sports, Gilbert Automotive, and another--I am not sure of its name. We now have MANY lodging establishments. Some are located in town and others are located in the rural communities. We have people that rent houses and people that prefer a motel room. Our community offers something for everyone regardless of your preference or budget. 1/3 of all riders of the Hatfield McCoy Trails are entering from the Gilbert area. Now, that is really something! And it says a lot for the Gilbert area.

Danny Reed
09-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I couldn't agree more. If the 1/3 stat is accurate that really does say a lot. I have heard on the grapevine Gilbert has assembled a group of business owners and citizens that will be known as GATV short for Gilbert Area Tourism Venture. I think (don't quote me) they are in the planning stages of a polar bear run scheduled for sometime in Jan. That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I guess the focus right now is trail-fest. I am going to try to make it hope to see ya'll there. Good luck to all the business's.

With all the natural beauty and the genuine hospitality Gilbert is a very nice place to visit.

trailhouseowner
09-29-2006, 08:30 PM
The statistic that I quoted about 1/3 of riders entering from the Gilbert area came from a Hatfield McCoy employee. I believe that it is pretty accurate.

Yes, Gilbert does have an area tourism association that is being formed to help promote the ATV and dirt bike tourism in the area. It is mainly Gilbert area business owners. I am a member of the association. It has been good to work with others that feel as strongly as I do about the Hatfield McCoy Trails and the riders coming into the area.

Gilbert is a very promising area. We have great things to offer!!!

aaronqjones
10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Trailhouseowner, I just left Browning fork yesterday. I had a great time. Marty is a wonderful individual. I would not change a thing, rainy weather or not. I just read that this is Lisa. Thank you and we had a wonderful time and we will be back!

trailhouseowner
10-02-2006, 09:01 AM
We are glad that you had a good time!! I have to agree with you-- Marty is a great host!! He enjoys meeting the riders and visiting with them. We do our best to make sure that the riders have everything they need and are comfortable.

We looking forward to seeing you again!!

Browning Fork Trailhouse
Where you're treated like a guest, but you feel like family!

aaronqjones
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
You know, I felt like I was in my home town neighborhood, the neighbors are freindly, always visiting and just striking up conversation. I cannot say enough how much of a plesant experiance it was. Thank you very much for having us.

trailhouseowner
10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Southern WV hospitality is second to none!! Don't you agree!!

Les Davis
10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Guys here are a few places we have stayed over the last three years and I can't tell you how accomodating the people are in these towns. I would highly recommend any of these places below to anyone. Man and Gilbert WVA are pretty good places to stay as there is direct access to the Rockhouse/Browning Fork trail as well as local ATV's shops. Trust me, if you stay for any amount of time you will be needing them for parts and/or repairs. Mountaineer Motorsports in Gilbert and The Fire Pit in Man, WVA let us use there tools as well as a welder to repair bikes twice in the last two years. Good Luck and if your in Man, check out "Destiny's Lounge"...hahaha!! Let me know how you liked it when you get back.

Fox's Place - Gilbert, WVA 304.664.3867 (ask for Mike or Laura Fox) www.foxsplace.tripod.com

Rockhouse Lodge & The Depot Lodge - Man, WVA 304.583.6833 (Ask for Terry Fekete) www.rockhouselodge.com

Man Trail Riders Lodge - Man, WVA 304-?-? (ask for Dennis)
www. check out the Hatfield website for link and phone number

Danny Reed
10-02-2006, 10:28 PM
There is no question about that! The point that some may miss is that it is not contrived it is very genuine. They aren't nice and hospitable cause they want your money. That's really the way they are. I feel comfortable saying if you didn't spend a dime the people there would not treat you any different. Today so many places being nice is seen as a weakness but from my experience it is far from a weakness it is probably one of the areas strongest assets.

Les Davis
10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Danny Reed
There is no question about that! The point that some may miss is that it is not contrived it is very genuine. They aren't nice and hospitable cause they want your money. That's really the way they are. I feel comfortable saying if you didn't spend a dime the people there would not treat you any different. Today so many places being nice is seen as a weakness but from my experience it is far from a weakness it is probably one of the areas strongest assets.

I can't agree more Danny!! We thought that to be the case during our first visit but after going back over the last couple of years you can see the sincerity in the people that live in these towns. The people we have met there would give you the shirt off there back just to make sure you had a good time during your stay.

aaronqjones
10-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by trailhouseowner
Southern WV hospitality is second to none!! Don't you agree!!

100%

trailhouseowner
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Second to none and truly genuine!!