PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

01-05-2002, 09:22 AM
In 10 minutes I begin the reassembly of my 400, excuse me 416. I got the cylinder back last night so today is the day. I am also installing the XR400 cam. Anybody got any recommendations on how long to run the motor before I change the oil once it starts. I was figuring on running it for about 10-15 minutes to allow the filter to catch some of the extra cam lube and then draining, new filter and then breaking in the beast. Does this sound about right? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

01-05-2002, 04:59 PM
yea that sounds pretty good to me... just let it sit and idle for a while then give er a lil throtle and let it get completly warm then after 15 minutes or so drain and re-fill and install a new oil filter ... then i reccommen about 1-1.5 tankfuls of fuel and then re-do the whole oil change..... you got the idea.... good luck and have fun...toby

01-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks Toby, I got the quad all back together, ran for about 15 minutes, changed oil and filter. XR400 cam definitely makes the machine sound a little different. I suppose the 416 kit might also add to the sound. One thing I did notice was the quad smelled very hot, do you think that this is normal after what I did, or could it be now that the compression is higher it just runs hotter? Only rode the quad for about 1 minute in the desert. Neighbors don't appreciate the dust/noise. Only had 1 problem, but 1 call to Terry at Marcums solved that. The one thing I can say is the Honda service manual is great. Next week I'll find out how much improvement I got. Later. Craig

Leo
01-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Letting the bike idle for an extended period of time is the LAST thing you want to do with a new cam..

Sounds like you used some cam lube so it probalby won't be an issue...

Leo

01-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Early next week I should have my cylinder (416) back and assemble the engine. I also am installing an XR400 cam. What is the proper break-in for a new cam?

01-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Leo, I wish I had asked this question yesterday but I really don't think I let it idle for any more than 1-20 seconds at a time. I kept running it back in forth from idle to about 2,500-3,000 rpm based on sound. Everything so far sounds good. Hopefully nothing comes apart down at Glamis Friday.

01-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Leo
Letting the bike idle for an extended period of time is the LAST thing you want to do with a new cam..

Sounds like you used some cam lube so it probalby won't be an issue...

Leo

can you give more detail i am not doubting you in anyway i am just interested in getting my info strati...i thought you should let it idle for a while to let oil get on to the cam and on the rockers and all that good stuff.... i could be wrong... ( it has happened 1 time!...lol maybe 2 ).... thanks

and cutthing...sorry for the wrong inof i was misinformed when i bought my quad.... i don't do bussiness with im anymore.....toby

01-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey Toby,

No problem dude. The quad is fine. I just wish I could have actually ridden it today. My plans for tomorrows ride fell through so I won't really get to see how she does til later. I can't wait.

Craig

Leo
01-05-2002, 08:55 PM
If you were revving it up a bit that's OK... The way I read your post I thought you just started it up and let it idle for 10-20 mins..

Most camshafts for non-roller applications recomend not to let the engine idle during break in, and to keep RPM's at least 2000..

"Do not allow engine to idle below 2,000 RPM during break-in"

Personally my biggest concern would be the cam lobes / lifters getting adequate lubrication during break in at low RPM's (idle)..

Leo

Tommy 17
01-05-2002, 09:09 PM
i broke mine in by holdin in some gas(lett it rev up not idle but don't go on and off the gas) till the motor got to hot to touch which was around 2 or 3 mins... shut it off let it cool down completly... started it up for 5 mins shut it down doin the same thing... then i rode it around for 5 mins shut it down rode for 10 shut it down... and i did this till i got to 30 mins and did 30 mins till i got to 2 hours and changed the oil...

01-06-2002, 04:35 PM
cutthing, when you said it was hot was this during the idle/ rev time. If so it's due to your not moving to get air thur the air fins. it's like when you let a car with no fan idle to long. it over heats

01-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Yeah it was, I did have a large fan on but I didn't have it blowing directly at the quad. It didn't seem too alarmingly hot, just hotter than it did stock. Tonight I started it up and it smokes just a tad when you let off the gas, I don't remember it doing that before either, I imagine it is just everything seating in. Sound normal to you? I wonder what Honda does to break in new motors before they are shipped out. I'm not talking about break-in periods, I'm talking about the time in the factory once the quad is all together and has to be quality checked. Do they even start them? Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.