PDA

View Full Version : chain help

Pappy
06-04-2003, 06:43 AM
ok...what tricks do yall have for a master link that has decided it doesnt wanna be part of the program:mad:

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
if your talking about o-ring links, those things are the ***** ever to get on the first one i did after three hours of throwing stuff around the garage i ditched the orings and it went on fine the second one i did took forever too, i took the c style vice grips and squezed it as tight and possible and the took a flat head screw driver working it from both ends beating it on, i wonder if there's a trick to it:huh

Pappy
06-04-2003, 06:52 AM
well ive done the throw stuff around part already:p

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 06:55 AM
sounds like your off to a good start then, just a couple more day and it should be on :eek: :blah:

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-04-2003, 07:17 AM
I'm confused...what seems to be the problem? Grab the link, slide it on the chain, pinch the link on with a set of channel locks, slide the clip on, and use the channel locks to pop it in place :confused: :confused2

Pappy
06-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I'm confused...what seems to be the problem? Grab the link, slide it on the chain, pinch the link on with a set of channel locks, slide the clip on, and use the channel locks to pop it in place :confused: :confused2

:o

06-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7

so your basically callin Pappy a dipchit :eek:

Pappy
06-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Rico
so your basically callin Pappy a dipchit :eek:

lol...if it was that easy :p ive installed alot of chains...just never one this bad:ermm:

06-04-2003, 07:37 AM
what kind is it ?

Pappy
06-04-2003, 07:41 AM
its a o ring....

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
its a o ring....

it took every thing i had to compress that sucka :macho

spliffy
06-04-2003, 07:47 AM
listen to ugly (no offense towards you uggs) ditch the outside 2 orings & slap the sucka together... thats what I ended up doing too.

spliffy
06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
dont blow out your own "oring" while doing it either pappy. :p

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by spliffy
listen to ugly (no offense towards you uggs) ditch the outside 2 orings & slap the sucka together... thats what I ended up doing too.

yup that's what i had to do on my machine, and she's still pulling strong to this day:p

06-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
its a o ring.... ahh ..who made it ..DID ,RENTHAL,Tsubaki?..you get it right ?(the name to be more precise)..;)

Pappy
06-04-2003, 07:55 AM
its a "kick my *** brand" did o ring.....i got now.....i juts had to get manly wit it:macho

06-04-2003, 08:01 AM
:D ok just wondering ...yeah I did a DID before they can a pan in ***, but i found the trick to be clamping it together with a small
1 inch type clamp in order to compress it for a few minutes before installing the "keeper" part of the master link

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-04-2003, 08:13 AM
LOL, I'm not calling anyone a moron, I'm just confused on what the problem is...its such a simple procedure.

Pappy
06-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
:D ok just wondering ...yeah I did a DID before they can a pan in ***, but i found the trick to be clamping it together with a small
1 inch type clamp in order to compress it for a few minutes before installing the "keeper" part of the master link

lol....i had..repeat had a 1 inch clamp....its lookin more like a pretzle now:p i did that while i made the post and was lookin for responces......when i walked back out it went on pretty easy:D

wilkin250r
06-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Did throwing stuff help?

I'm just wondering, because I'm going to replace my chain as soon as my new engine gets here (Duncan PC2000 340cc powervalve) Maybe I should stock up on ammo, maybe do some conditioning. What's more important, the size of the stuff you throw or the number of items?

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Did throwing stuff help?

I'm just wondering, because I'm going to replace my chain as soon as my new engine gets here (Duncan PC2000 340cc powervalve) Maybe I should stock up on ammo, maybe do some conditioning. What's more important, the size of the stuff you throw or the number of items?

I think it's all in throwing stuff that your goin to regret later :confused2

wilkin250r
06-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
I think it's all in throwing stuff that your goin to regret later :confused2

So I should probably throw something expensive? Should I move grandma's fine china out to the garage before I start, just so it's handy?

06-04-2003, 09:56 AM
love them non O rings chains. :D

Mxbubs
06-04-2003, 10:01 AM
If it were me, id just put some pulleys on it and convert it into a belt drive.:D

honda350r
06-04-2003, 02:59 PM
I know it is a little late but I will tell you how it is done !

All you do is take a pair of vise grips and a 1/4 inch nut. Place the nut on the side the master link is going to come though and squeeze! If that takes anyone more than 5 seconds you might be a moron!!

Jim

JOEX
06-04-2003, 04:26 PM
I had problems getting my DID x-ring master link on. I did the vice grip/clamp/hammer/trowing things procedure with no luck. So I just drilled the MOFO holes a bit bigger. Just the other day I tried to take it off to clean it and the MOFO wouldn't come off:mad:

So I guess DID suks chit:confused:

Joe

Mxbubs
06-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Either I you guys have odd ball chains, or I am a complete idiot. I have never had problems getting master link clips on any chains, and I fool with chains alot at work. Some people try to put the clip on the closed end, the bend the open end out to squeeze over the other pin. I hope this aint the way you guys are trying to do? Thats the hard way. All I have ever done is slide one pin up into the clip so it is at the closed end, and set the open end up to the edge of the other pin, take a flat head screwdriver, pop the back of the closed end and it pops on.

Did I miss something?:D

JOEX
06-04-2003, 05:03 PM
I didn't have a problem with the clip, it was the oval piece of the link with the two holes for the pins. The holes weren't big enough for me:o

Joe