PDA

View Full Version : More Hot Cams Problems

2qk4u
06-03-2003, 04:29 PM
well today the local bike shop called me up after i dropped them off my stock cam and hot cam and they told me that they got my flange off my stock cam and went to put it on the stage 2 and it just slid on the cam with no effort. this is not good. so i called hotcams and told them about this and they are sending me out a new one tommorow. i have seen on here with several people having this problem and hotcams themselves told me if it slips on then its bad, well it is definitly bad. they told me all the bad ones were made in febuary. that cannot be true because i bought mine in january and according to the code on the cam it was made in oct of 2002. so they must have put out a lot of bad cams. as long as they are making ity right with me im not going to worry about it. i would have really been mad if i got it together and it started making noises soon after getting it all back together.
so i would recommend everyone that just put one of these in or has one getting ready to install and it doesnt have the flange already on it from hotcams to pay close attention when the flange is put on to see how tight it is. they say it should take at least 400lbs of pressure. if you have any doubt about it call hotcams and tell them whats going on. hope this little bit of info helps someone out.

L.Vegas400
06-03-2003, 05:53 PM
im taking mine to work tonight to press off and then on the new cam. i guess we'll see how it turns out. what the phone # for them if it doesnt work out?

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 03:39 AM
Not trying to start anything again, but this is why companies suck. They lie to you, and everyone seems to be okay with that. They claimed they only had one batch but yet 2qk4u has a cam from 10/02.

Yea yea yea, Hotcams is replacing everyones cam. There taking all the cams that everyone is sending back with the loose flange and solving the problem by welding flanges on them.

Do you guys that bought one of these hotcams get a kick back for being there R&D department?:eek:

06-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Do you guys that bought one of these hotcams get a kick back for being there R&D department?:eek:

I couldn't have said it better :cool:

I guess the reason they're so much cheaper than all other cam on the market is starting to show...:ermm:

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 04:07 AM

I'll show ya kick back, how bought if you bring you quad over to my place so i can whoop the **** out of it:devious: i guarantee you'll leave whistling a different tune

:D :D :D

but the problem is only time anybody says anything about the cam is when the have somthing bad to say i guarantee the good out weights the bad it's just like wiseco piston there really good quality piston but everyone thinks there junk cause only time someone speaks up is when somthing happened if everyone that had good experience with one spoke up you would be amazed

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 04:13 AM
Yea, I was waiting for you to respond. I've seen what happens when you ride, I ain't scared. J/P

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 04:15 AM
I hadn't laughed all morning until now........... smartass :mad:

LMAO:D :D :D

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Glad I could help:D

quadman21
06-04-2003, 05:31 AM
Ya know, I have read so many posts bad about hotcams. Tha's the number one reason I went with the XR cam. After having the XR I would like to go with another like the Hotcams stage 2. But I just can't convince myself because all of the bad I here about them here in the posts. However I do know a few I race with that have the stage 2 and have had no trouble. I think everything has good and bad. Elka had trouble when they started but seem to have things worked out now. Ugly motha mentioned weisco. Weisco has been around for years and I have never had a weisco piston problem. I just wanted to vent a little but I still believe just because some people have trouble with products, it doesn't make it a bad product overall.

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Why do you want to change from your XR cam?

Colby@C&DRacing
06-04-2003, 05:49 AM
I am sure that there could be some bad cams floating around out there but. I have had no problems with the ones in my bikes. Another thing that I do before shipping a cam is check the spliknes to make sure they are ok. I guess just one of the perks for ordering form a small shop and not some warehouse:)

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 05:50 AM
from my experience i have no probs with hotcams and i got my cam right after this problem arised and i open the top of my motor frequently cause i am a little skeered of the cam and it does sound like a freight train coming out of the top of my motor but i've got a good hard and i mean hard 200 hrs on it and no probs yet matter of fact my bike has been a jaw dropper ever since i got it put back together but i guess maybe i got lucky but i think with every product your always goin to have bad eggs, but i gotta give hot cams props for standing behind there product

I gotta give c & d props to cause when i ordered my cam from them they had two on the shelf and would'nt send em out to me until they got a flange to check, course they ended up being bad but it saved me a headache instead i just got to call them up every other day asking the status:D

06-04-2003, 05:53 AM
I have enough problems as it is...dropping a cam in to find out it's jacked up and go back thru the process of tearin the quad down to fix it is what bothers me. Now wrecking and tearing something up is one thing,,but dropping in a new part only for it to break just plain sucks. I'm sure the cam puts out tons of power from what i've read. But i see no reliability in the cams...my luck i'll get a bad one and then it'll get thrown thru the front window of hotcams.:eek:

almost 2 years of use with my XR400 cam and guess what.....No problems at all.. come to think of it..of all the members using the XR400 cam I haven't read one person complain of issues with it..

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 05:59 AM
how do you spell HONDA :confused:

r-e-l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y :D :D

quadman21
06-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Rico is right. I have NEVER had trouble out of my XR cam. DOIBUGU2, the reason I mentioned wanting another cam is only because I would like to squeeze just a little more out of my quad. I'm a woods racer all the way and bottom end and mid-range means all the world to me. I have that with the 440 and XR cam, BUT the grass is greener on the other side. So that's the state of mind I am in. I would like to experimant a little and see if there is a cam out there that is reliable but would give me a little more than what I have.

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 06:15 AM
quadman, i would recomend the stage 1 cam if you seriously looking into a hotcam you mentioned the stage 2 which is what i'm running and it's a more of a mid to top end cam it's great on the track but when i get into the woods and tight places i find myself working the clutch more than i used to where as the stage 1 cam is a bottom to mid cam

06-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by quadman21
Rico is right. I have NEVER had trouble out of my XR cam. DOIBUGU2, the reason I mentioned wanting another cam is only because I would like to squeeze just a little more out of my quad. I'm a woods racer all the way and bottom end and mid-range means all the world to me. I have that with the 440 and XR cam, BUT the grass is greener on the other side. So that's the state of mind I am in. I would like to experimant a little and see if there is a cam out there that is reliable but would give me a little more than what I have.

Go with a TC racing GNCC cam then...very reliable and the cost is about $190 with core trade in..

A woods racer and a stage 2 hot cam I don't think would be a good idea..

F-16Guy
06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
What about the HRC cam? I've heard they are close to the stage two, and with Honda's legendary reliability. You won't need hardened rockers, and if I remember right, you get to keep the compression release (which, IMO, will be much easier on the starter motor). The only downside is the price. I don't have an exact price, but I hear they're a little spendy. If (or should I say when?) my HotCam takes a big ol' crap, that will be my next.:cool:

06-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
What about the HRC cam? I've heard they are close to the stage two, and with Honda's legendary reliability. You won't need hardened rockers, and if I remember right, you get to keep the compression release (which, IMO, will be much easier on the starter motor). The only downside is the price. I don't have an exact price, but I hear they're a little spendy. If (or should I say when?) my HotCam takes a big ol' crap, that will be my next.:cool:

I don't think they offer that cam anymore. XR's only went with hotcams and replaced all their in house cams...:huh WTF were they thinkin.

Price on the HRC cam is around $280 and I believe it's a drop in cam too...I'm thinkin it's pretty damn close to sparks drop in cam which is about the same price. Coincidence i think not...:eek2:
HRC cam gets my vote and might be what I get next..

Here's a link to Xr's only page.... http://www.xrsonly.com/engine_comps/eng_comp_3.htm

quadman21
06-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the insight on the cams. I thought of the HRC cam and the TC cam. I beleive anything with the Honda name is worth it's weight in gold. But as some of you mentioned, it's a little pricey. I said I'm feeling like the grass is greener on the other side and wanted a little more power with some other cam. I'm just weary of getting my head stuck in the fence and being screwed with a less than reliable cam. eek2: Again, thanks for the good suggestions on cams.

F-16Guy
06-04-2003, 07:55 AM
If you can get a new stage two with the flange as part of the casting, you'll have no problems.

quadman21
06-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Just FYI, I looked up the HRC cam part # 14000-NKK-000 at Service honda and they are $277.14

F-16Guy
06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Just FYI, I looked up the HRC cam part # 14000-NKK-000 at Service honda and they are $277.14
That's not too bad, really. Don't you get the flange and decompressor mechanism all installed with it? Now that's a true "drop in" cam!:D

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 08:50 AM
We should have a true test of all these different cams. Because that is the only way you could truely find out which one is the best.

I have a stock quad, you guys buy the cams and send them to my house.

F-16Guy
06-04-2003, 08:55 AM
We should have a true test of all these different cams. Because that is the only way you could truely find out which one is the best.

I have a stock quad, you guys buy the cams and send them to my house.
No problem, is COD okay?:devil:

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 08:57 AM
No problem, is COD okay?:devil:

LMAO

I would actually do it, and would return the cams. Its just to bad it would take for ever to switch them all.

Ben, start contacting the shops and try and get some free ones.

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 08:58 AM
LMAO

cod sounds like the most acceptable way to go :p

Colby@C&DRacing
06-04-2003, 09:08 AM
True the xr 400 cams have had no problems. But they are pretty much a waste of money look at the specks they are almost the same as the 400ex cam. Hot cam had a good idea with there product yes there have been problems but that is why you buy stuff from shops that know what they are doing and the risk of getting bad parts is considerably less. Yes bad parts still go out the door but that happens. I have not had a hot cam problem since I started inspecting them myself. I am not saying that is not bad cams out their, and I hate to see anyone have that kind of trouble but with any aftermarket parts or hop ups there is a risks of defect. Some more than others. I hope the hot cams will get their quality control up to snuff because they ae good stuff when you get a good one

P.S. I am not bashing on the XR 400 cam just going by cost versus the performance gains.

JD400exrider
06-04-2003, 09:52 AM
What about the HRC cam? I've heard they are close to the stage two, and with Honda's legendary reliability. You won't need hardened rockers, and if I remember right, you get to keep the compression release (which, IMO, will be much easier on the starter motor). The only downside is the price. I don't have an exact price, but I hear they're a little spendy. If (or should I say when?) my HotCam takes a big ol' crap, that will be my next.:cool

I am running the HRC cam. Have had in for about three tank fulls with a 416 10.8-1 JE Piston. This thing rocks. It does come with the compression release and flange already pressed on. (Imagine that!) You don't need red loctite to hold the flange on either. The numbers on the Grind for the HRC cam are close to the stage 2 It feels more like a mid - top end cam but i did not loose any bottom end either.

When I asked on this site a while back about the HRC cam almost everyone told me Too Much Money Buy a Hot Cam. B.S. I will say Rico was one of the only guys that said the HRC cam is worth buying. (Thanks Rico ;) ) It seems like every day someone is posting a problem with the hot cam. The ones with out problems very well may be a good cam. But how many do you have to go through to get a good one. Personally I would not put one in my honda riding lawn mower. :blah:

The Cost Of the HRC
I paid 275.00 from Planet honda
Service Honda 270.00 (last i checked)
Planet honda had it in stock so i went there.
Sparks drop in 375.00

The cam xr's only sold was a copy of the HRC. Did not have the decompression. Was a regrind. They stopped making them I think because they carry the Hot Cam now. The price they have listed for the Hnda HRC is 500.00 + bucks :eek2:

You can look up the cam on serve honda. It is under the hop up kit for the xr 400 bike and it is under hondaline parts or somethin. Little hard to find where the kit is.

Sorry for the long post, but $hit. How many hot cams is it going to take to go wrong to realize that there may be some other cam out there compariable but more reliable. I will say at least Hot cams is standing behind them. :cool:

F-16Guy
06-04-2003, 10:24 AM
...I will say at least Hot cams is standing behind them. :cool: [/QUOTE]
Even though I have one of their cams, I think they're getting a little too much credit for how they're handling things. Once they realized the scope of the problem they had (and I believe it's worse than they let on), they should have sent out recall notices or maintenance bulletins to all of the people/distributors that recieved the faulty products. Atleast at that point, the consumer would have the option to inspect the cam and replace it if they found the flange loose, or if they just didn't want to take the chance with their machine. A redesign of the cam to include the flange must have taken a whopping 2-4 hours with an autoCAD, so why not bite the bullet as a company, send the notices, and be proactive instead of reactive?

JD400exrider
06-04-2003, 05:34 PM
...I will say at least Hot cams is standing behind them. :cool:
Even though I have one of their cams, I think they're getting a little too much credit for how they're handling things. Once they realized the scope of the problem they had (and I believe it's worse than they let on), they should have sent out recall notices or maintenance bulletins to all of the people/distributors that recieved the faulty products. Atleast at that point, the consumer would have the option to inspect the cam and replace it if they found the flange loose, or if they just didn't want to take the chance with their machine. A redesign of the cam to include the flange must have taken a whopping 2-4 hours with an autoCAD, so why not bite the bullet as a company, send the notices, and be proactive instead of reactive? [/QUOTE]

Could not have said it better myself F16 guy ;)

CBRSLIDER
06-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Man you all got me wondering about my hotcam. When we put the flange on the cam we had to press the bugger on with a huge press. It would not just slip on. Infact we saw where the flange actually was cutting the cam splines as it was being pressed on. Is that good? It made for a real tight fit. But like I said. Now I'm nervous and I don't want to have to rip the top end apart to see if it's alright. I don't want to have to keep replacing gaskets. But I guess that's better than a new top end.

Ray

06-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Well trash them all you like (I did for a while too) and I understand everones concern but I got some probs with some of your thinking.

First I had trouble with the grind not being right but the spline specs were fine so I didnt actually have a quality issue but a spec issue.

After some time Hot Cams had figured my problem and corrected it with a new cam and it has worked flawlessly.

I dont play up a company unless I believe in what I am saying and I got to say the stage2 is the best overall value over the others with close specs and would work great for most modded motors.

I have one very big problem with the guys who got the bad cams and unlike the starter of this thread who was wise enough to have someone experienced do his motor work and catch the problem did their work themselves and didnt know that there was an interference fit between the flange and cam spline. Honestley if you were more experienced you would have had issues with a loose fit and researched the problem and not had to tear doen the top end again.

Lets give these guys some credit for handling this properly and professionably as I have not seen this often in our sport. I only wish I get the same service with the problems I have with houser and were talking 800.00 not 130.00.

Dont misunderstand me I am not thrilled about a company letting a large amount of "bad" product reach the buyer but you have to agree they have handled this with good faith and covered the problems etc.

Now I am still not happy to see all the cheapo chinese bearings in the pivot works kits selling at what you could get premium japanese bearings for, but I guess one battle at a time.

Hey rico you with me on this one :D :blah:

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 04:09 AM
440EX4me

I don't agree with your response.

They only way we seem to get these companies to truely stand behind there products, is if we b-tch them out on here. How many Exriders do you think may have been screwed if it weren't for this site.

RUFIO
06-05-2003, 09:03 AM
wait you can order the Xr 400 cam straight from honda?

06-05-2003, 09:49 AM
440EX4me

I don't agree with your response.

They only way we seem to get these companies to truely stand behind there products, is if we b-tch them out on here. How many Exriders do you think may have been screwed if it weren't for this site.

Good or bad you got to love the power of the net!

Twenty years ago i am sure that fewer companies would be so accomodating, but today if you look at this type of post not all the companies are willing to do what HC has, and when I get a chace to make some calls on the problems with my a-arms we may be seeing a different response to solving problems with defects.

So maybe we agree on this more than you think LOL

2qk4u
06-05-2003, 04:46 PM
well i got my new cam today. looks good with the flange already on it. hopefully it will work out good for me. just need to get my head back from being ported and i will be ready to put her back together. i will let you all know how she turns out. hopefully a decent difference. we will see.

L.Vegas400
06-05-2003, 05:06 PM
do the new cams have the decompression stuff on there also. if not, how do you deal with that.

06-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
do the new cams have the decompression stuff on there also. if not, how do you deal with that.

Unless something has changed you dont you the decomp at all.

L.Vegas400
06-05-2003, 10:39 PM
so when you press the flange on the cam, the decompression stuff goes in the trash?

Honda - TRX 400 EX - All Part Number: TRX400S2-A
Spec Card

Description:

Stage 2 Cam

For motocross or desert racing only. Works well with larger than stock bore. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.
Intake Exhaust
Lift Duration Lift Duration
8.8 mm 254 ° 8.6 mm 254 °
Price: $149.95

i guess if i would have looked at the hot cams site i would have answered my own question:rolleyes:

quadman21
06-06-2003, 12:48 AM
rufio, yes you can. The XR part number is 14000-kcy-670. At a dealer they are about $173 and at Service Honda they are $129. They are a TRUE drop in cam.

Dune Surfer
06-06-2003, 05:21 AM
I have the new cam with the flange installed from hotcam. True they had a problem, but the bent over backwards to correct it for me. I think threre customer service is the best. Compare them to Yamaha and how they handled the Rapter trans problems. Even after replacing my cam I would recomend them. Still the best cam for the money by far. my .02

JD400exrider
06-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I I think threre customer service is the best. Compare them to Yamaha and how they handled the Rapter trans problems.

Don't forget the starter problem, and ..................................:scary:

lilpoppy
06-06-2003, 05:22 PM
I don't really understand why this arguement keeps going on and on. The problem has been fixed period. If you buy a new one these is no chance whatsoever of this problem reoccuring. I just droped about 500$ into my engine including the stage 2 hotcam and some porting and I went from loosing to piped banshees by about 5-6 lengths to beating them by 1 length. I would say that is a pretty decent cam especially since it only costs a little over 100$. You guys can waste your money on any other cam you want but take it from me I was killing piped Raptor,s, Banshee,s, and 440ex's all day long down in Pismo.

Ketch
06-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm with Dunesurfer, an lilpoppy on this one. I have one of the first ones out. I press mine on my self to. Had it a part not long a go and no problems at all. Very good value for your money and
it's a stage2.