PDA

View Full Version : Pre-loading

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Anybody pre-load when they hit a jump?

If so how do you guys do it?

sweet300ex
06-03-2003, 12:04 PM
When you get to the bottom of the jump squat down, then when you get to the lip spring up

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sweet300ex
When you get to the bottom of the jump squat down, then when you get to the lip spring up

How much more air do you get?
Or isnt it noticeable?

quader400
06-03-2003, 12:43 PM
once you get the hang of it and time it perfect you will notice it. its all about the timing. all you do is basically throw your weight down so your shocks compress and then if you time it right they will throw you higher. good luck

RoadkillerRyan
06-03-2003, 01:05 PM
is it possible it might throw you off?

quader400
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
yea some times you get to carried away in trying to pre load and you forget to go the right speed or forget to give it gas at the lip so yea it can if you get to carried away in doing it.

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by quader400
yea some times you get to carried away in trying to pre load and you forget to go the right speed or forget to give it gas at the lip so yea it can if you get to carried away in doing it.

And end up landin on your @ss or havin your front shocks go rite through the plastic from the hard endo landing.

Im goin to the 60 footer tomorrow after school, Il have my friend bring a camera and Il show ya how I did with it.

06-03-2003, 02:42 PM
ahh sometimes i jump the jumps sittin down and land sittin down:eek:

QuAdRaCeR244
06-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
ahh sometimes i jump the jumps sittin down and land sittin down:eek:

i do that too:ermm:

kxrider
06-03-2003, 04:21 PM
preload i do it everytime, when u hit the bottom of the jump push your shocks down as much as you can, and then at the top like bunny hopp, like your on a bmx bike, it does quit a bit once u get it down

Nausty
06-03-2003, 06:44 PM
yeah it allows you to catch more air on jumps with crappy lips and even more on jumps with good lips.:D Also it helps with the tricks.

Narly R
06-04-2003, 06:00 AM
well I try to but I think my shocks are so shot they dont have much "boing" to them! But when I do I can see a differance than from like someone who doesnt.

quaddict53
06-04-2003, 08:59 AM
When I preload I find that I dont neccessarily get higher, but it tends to push the back of the quad up when your rear shocks unloads, so that helps get the bike level in the air w/out using much body english. Just dont let the back get too high......:eek2:

DaveEX7
06-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by quaddict53
Just dont let the back get too high......:eek2:

Then pull in the front brake and rev the engine!:rolleyes:

hessianmx111
06-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Then pull in the front brake and rev the engine!:rolleyes:
pulling in the front brake makes you nose dive:rolleyes:

DaveEX7
06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
pulling in the front brake makes you nose dive:rolleyes:

Thats the back brake there buddy.

quaddict53
06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
pulling in the front brake makes you nose dive

hittin the back brake will bring the nose down.....the front brake should theoretically lift the nose (drop the back), but since there is no driving force to the front wheels, it isnt always very effective.

Glow Plug
06-04-2003, 04:06 PM
i thoguh when you hit stab the thorttle it will lift the back end?

hessianmx111
06-04-2003, 04:33 PM
hey buddy actually front brake does not bring front up. there was a thread on freestylemtx.com about this and the end result was that it sends you into a nosedive that you cant stop because theres no way to get the wheel going again. jacob from zerogravity fmx said that it also made you nose dive and hes a pro level fmxr i think he would know. also glow plug stabbing the throttle or panic revving will bring your front end up

hessianmx111
06-04-2003, 04:36 PM
heres the link fourth post down http://fmtx.shread.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13166&pagenumber=2

hessianmx111
06-04-2003, 04:41 PM
one more i found http://fmtx.shread.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10699&perpage=15&highlight=front%20brake&pagenumber=1

06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
i use my front brakes to drop the front on small jumps it doesnt work as good because they dont have as much momentum, if something spins its trying to go straight when u stop something from spinning the energy has no where to go but off and it will go straight forward causing the front to drop, in the rear the rear wheels spinning cause the back to drop because the momentum of the back wheels kinda weighs it down, im not scientist but u get what im saying? it works ive done it before...

hessianmx111
06-04-2003, 04:56 PM
see out of everything he just said it all comes down to the front brake will drop ya front end plain and simple

kxrider
06-04-2003, 05:07 PM
man hessian is right everyone knows if you hit either brake in the air the front end is goin to drop, if you dont beleive me or him hit a big jump and lock up the front and just hold on them

DaveEX7
06-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Well Chris told me that when you're nose-divin, you not only whack the gas you lock up the front brakes also, I tried it and its the same as hittin the gas.

06-05-2003, 09:34 AM
nope the only reason the back still dropped is because that force is greater than the front wheels spinning, there is no reason to hit either brake if u wanna bringt he front up

TheRedRebel17
06-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by kxrider
man hessian is right everyone knows if you hit either brake in the air the front end is goin to drop, if you dont beleive me or him hit a big jump and lock up the front and just hold on them

I'll have to agree. When you hit the front brakes hard, it does a stoppie. So in theory, it should do the same in air.

Nausty
06-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
I'll have to agree. When you hit the front brakes hard, it does a stoppie. So in theory, it should do the same in air.

Well thats because theres friction between the ground and the tires. The whole reason it works is because basically when you hit the brakes in the air when the tires are spinning the quad acts like its part of the wheel and wants to spin with the tire.

lol, I think it would work hitting the front brakes to bring up the rear end but the thing is you'd be landing with your front tires stopped so its easier to lose control(on a bike, dunno if it applys as much on a quad). Also if you do go into a nose dive its gonna be harder to correct it to bring it back up because your rear tires will already be moving so if you mash on the gas you won't be able to bring up the front end as much.

bluebaron
06-06-2003, 03:31 PM
no it dont// yes it does no it dont// yes it does

no it dont/// yes it does no it dont//yes it does:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

nojoke4stroke
06-06-2003, 06:04 PM
kids these days :rolleyes: it's physics,hold the front end of your bmx bike up and crank the front wheel forward with you hand as fast as possible then hit the front brake,what happens?thats right folks.the front end dives down.now coast down the street on the same bike on a flat piece of ground then attempt a wheelie,what happens?thats right,the front end comes up.the same thing happens with a quad or a dirtbike theres just more moving parts and power not directly related to the user that aid in this,im not saying this works for a quad,its just easier for you 14 year olds to lift up the front end of a bmx bike to try this.any significant motion will come from the area with greater mass or receiving greater force,ie:rear brakes.thats as lamens as i can put it and if you dont understand then you should hang up your riding gear.

DaveEX7
06-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by nojoke4stroke
it's physics,hold the front end of your bmx bike up and crank the front wheel forward with you hand as fast as possible then hit the front brake,what happens?thats right folks.the front end dives down.now coast down the street on the same bike on a flat piece of ground then attempt a wheelie,what happens?thats right,the front end comes up.the same thing happens with a quad or a dirtbike theres just more moving parts and power not directly related to the user that aid in this,im not saying this works for a quad,its just easier for you 14 year olds to lift up the front end of a bmx bike to try this.any significant motion will come from the area with greater mass or receiving greater force,ie:rear brakes.thats as lamens as i can put it and if you dont understand then you should hang up your riding gear.

Nicely put..... but when I locked up the front brakes and rev'ed the throttle the front wheels came up and the back end dropped so do what you wanna do when your nose-divin.

Back to pre-loadin, so all I hafta do is push my weight down before the take off and spring up as soon as my wheels get air.

Nausty
06-07-2003, 05:40 AM
get on the gas if you start to nose dive. Man I wish I was as good with words as that guy i'm not even gonna try to explain because he will be able to 10x better in 10x less the amt of words.

DaveEX7
06-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
Man I wish I was as good with words as that guy i'm not even gonna try to explain because he will be able to 10x better in 10x less the amt of words.

And make us look like asses at the same time.:scary:

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Anybody pre-load when they hit a jump?

If so how do you guys do it?

Just like bunny hopping a bmx. Just make sure you time it right. Try to slam your weight down just before you get to the jump lip, and as you get to the top, pull your weight back up by jumping. It will usually give you a few extra inches in lift, just enough to get over the lip of a dangerous double.

OR if you are racing, you UNLOAD. Unloading will keep you from being sprung in the air. When your tires are in the air, you cant get traction. Racers want to stay low and fast. Watch Ricky Carmicheal ride.

To unload, try not to push any weight down on the quad on the face of a jump. Just at the bike gets to the lip, bend your knees because the suspension will be compressing. If it compressing and your body force is pushing back, you will preload. Instead, let your knees give when the bike pushes back at you.

Good luck!

DaveEX7
06-07-2003, 06:09 AM
What I used to do was on this one jump I would keep seated until I hit the lip then I would stand up, that really helped, but I cant do that on some of the bigger more dangerous jumps.

06-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
only reason the back still dropped is because that force is greater than the front wheels spinning, there is no reason to hit either brake if u wanna bringt he front up

DaveEX7
06-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Just whack the gas!!