PDA

View Full Version : 4 character search restriction

thejeepdude
06-03-2003, 05:35 AM
I'm not sure where to post this, but I have a suggestion. How about changing the minimum search word length from 4 characters to 3? That would make it a LOT easier to do searches on most aftermarket parts, since a lot of them are made my companies with a 3 character abbreviations. Also phrases like 'oil change' and 'timing key' would be nice to be able to use. I think the search feature is the most valuable feature of this website, and I think this could help a lot of people.

Thanks!! :)

AtvMxRider
06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
I'm not sure where to post this, but I have a suggestion. How about changing the minimum search word length from 4 characters to 3? That would make it a LOT easier to do searches on most aftermarket parts, since a lot of them are made my companies with a 3 character abbreviations. Also phrases like 'oil change' and 'timing key' would be nice to be able to use. I think the search feature is the most valuable feature of this website, and I think this could help a lot of people.

Thanks!! :)

put * behind the word.

Juggalo
06-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
put * behind the word.

that doesn't work. at least for me. personally i hate the 4 letter search restriction. i would like to see a 2 restriction but even a 3 is better than 4. theres just too many things to search for when you can only do 4 letters or more, it makes it a real hassle.

thejeepdude
06-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Exactly. While putting a * behind it works sometimes, it doesn't work in all cases, and sometimes causes you to have to filter through hits you wouldn't otherwise want returned. I know the reason for the minimum search length is because of the extra overhead needed on the backend for the search database, but I would think 3 characters would be a good compromise.

thejeepdude
06-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Hey is there an admin monitoring this forum or what? :devil: What's the verdict?!? :scary:

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Ben said awhile back that he cannot go to a 3 or 2 word search because it takes up to much system resources.

Your just going to have to stick with 4 and deal with it.