PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad issue

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 02:20 AM
after about 5 rides my rear brake pads are roached clean to the metal what gives, is it my rotor, it's a braking wave but i used the braking sintered metal pads with it which said they were supposed to be long wear, i used to only have change my stock brake pads (with the stock rotor) once or twice a year but at this rate with my new setup i'll be doin it once a month anybody else have any experience with this how often are you replacing pads

muff
06-03-2003, 02:28 AM
well now that your pads are worn right to the metal they are scratching up your rotor, so when you put on the new pads the rotor just rips the pads apart

when you need to do is sand the brake rotor nice and smooth and remove all of the scratches in it

you have removed your parking brake right :ermm:

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by muff
well now that your pads are worn right to the metal they are scratching up your rotor, so when you put on the new pads the rotor just rips the pads apart

when you need to do is sand the brake rotor nice and smooth and remove all of the scratches in it

you have removed your parking brake right :ermm:

it was a brand spanking new so that should have nothing to do with it, there's no marks in the rotor, i caught it just in time there's a bout a thousandths of the pad left so theres no damage to the rotor and yes the p-brake is removed with a nacs block off in its place

Taco
06-03-2003, 02:35 AM
try some stock pads on it. I have never had another set of pads last as long as OEM.

400ex45
06-03-2003, 03:32 AM
i have to change mine about 3 to 5 rides it depends on what you do to if you ride in lots of mud and dirt you will eat them up quick.

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 08:32 AM
well memorial day weekend was nothing but mud saturday sunday and monday, and i rode hard, so that can be the problem i guess i'll give the oem a try thats all i use to run and got good wear out of them but i figured the aftermarket rotor would eat em up i gues i won't know until i try em

GNCC#829
06-03-2003, 08:43 AM
I heard this from an ATV shop.
The first time that you ride after putting on new pads, ride the brakes for a minute or two. This gets the pad hot. When it cools, it hardens itself harder than new. They should last longer if you do this.

06-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Taco
try some stock pads on it. I have never had another set of pads last as long as OEM.

I have not had any last longer yet either.

Now one way to stop wearing the pads so quick is to stop dragging the brake :D

DEAL
06-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I have Ebc pads and they last me 3 to 4 months... but I also don't ride in much water...

toby400ex
06-03-2003, 09:27 AM
I think its the mud, i had brand new stock pads on and they were down to bare metal after maybe 4 hour of riding, not even hard riding.:mad:

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 09:33 AM
musta been the mud cause i had three days riding of it

muff
06-03-2003, 10:05 AM
yea that probably would have done it

hondamxer161
06-03-2003, 10:10 AM
i've gone through a set of ebc pads in two motos.

mike

QuadTrix6
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
just an off topic question but why is your name trademarked?:confused:

Doibugu2
06-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
just an off topic question but why is your name trademarked?:confused:

you can trademark anything, as long as you can pay for it.

Its because he's so cute! or not:chinese:

RIjon
06-03-2003, 11:50 AM
what abo0t solid rotors? (no holes or gro0ves)

You'd think if you didn't get the crud in the holes to wear down the pads .....they would last longer

IS that correct?

muff
06-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by RIjon
what abo0t solid rotors? (no holes or gro0ves)

You'd think if you didn't get the crud in the holes to wear down the pads .....they would last longer

IS that correct?

actually its just the opposite

with a solid rotor the dirt that gets caught on the rotor goes around and gets dragged into the brake pads and has no where to go, with a holed/waved rotor the dirt gets pushed into the holes or off the rotor

and also w/ a solid rotor once it heats up enough it will start to warp

RIjon
06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Ah!

Roger that

L.Vegas400
06-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
musta been the mud cause i had three days riding of it there is somwhting not quite strait about your quad, hmmm i cant quite put my finger on it.... ohh it has to be your headlights, right, no?... i guess im stumped

TRX_Thumper
06-03-2003, 03:46 PM
looks like the handlebars an steerin stem are screwed over what happened

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 01:22 AM
handle bars are fine, the stem is tweeked just a hair

I did a backflip of a 12ft ledge and didn't quite make a full rotation:huh

MOFO
06-04-2003, 02:28 AM
I've actually gone through a brand new set of OEM pads in one day. We rode around 7 hours at the last Cochranton Poker Run.... VERY MUDDY!!! We would have to stop ever 45 min and throw the mud off of our fenders because it was bending them down....my one buddy had stress marks in his plastic from all of the thick mud laying on them.

The next day I think I had around 1/4th of my pad left... if you ride in thick mud or sandy mud, that will eat your brakes away.

Make sure you p-brake is off and you are using a block off plate. Also, pull that rear caliper apart and clean it very good... you'd be surprised of the crap you'll find in there...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
06-04-2003, 03:40 AM
Yep something looks bent :D and what happend to that pretty quad that used to be in an office :eek: Looks like some one had fun getting it dirty..
I also went through some pads in 2 days I am sure it was the conditions water, mud, long and steep down hills.. before that riding here I think I changed rear pads 1 or 2 times since 2000..

UglyMotha™
06-04-2003, 04:42 AM
ya, i had to dimantle it just to get her clean again:blah:

that's when i found the rear pads were shot after i had scraped the foot of mud out of the rear:huh

cavaselis
06-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Ditto!!
Im getting ~6 hours of ride time per set of pads.Is there a aftermarket caliper or a fix?That gets exspensive.25 buck to ride per day.Not all sport quads do this so it must be something with the 400ex??Im liking the KFX 700 rear brake setup.

remlapr
06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
I think you can switch to a 250R caliper - not really sure what all is involved. What about those caliper covers being sold on eBay? I wonder if they would help - it doesn't cover the rotor though??