PDA

View Full Version : Uh help please

Red00Honda400EX
06-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok so I have some problems I'll explain in the best detail possible.

I was riding in loose stone/gravel pit today and I was just going to let my clutch out and my quad died. So I tried to start it and nothing it would like hit the starter and thats it. So Me and chknhawk tried to push start it and nothing. A littler later I tried starting it again and it made a horrible griding noise (same noise it made when I let the clutch out and it shut off). So we throw it in the truck and take it back to my house. I check the oil and only had about a quart in the resivour (yeah not good but it gets better) then I pulled the other plug on the motor and only a few drops came out of the motor. I pulled the valve caps and it all looked nice and oily in there and I let all the oil drain on my fingers and I didn't see/feel any metal shavings at all. I can't get my plug out as I lost my tools and none of the sockets I have fit in the motor. So what I'm thinking is either the clutch finally granaded as it has been working on that for the passed 6 months (yeah not good either) or the oil pump went bad and the motor granaded at which I'd guess it would be cheaper just to buy a used 400 motor. Like the one ben has forsale. Anyway what would you guys suggest. I didn't have time to pull the motor tonight but I'll get it out thursday. I'm going to try to do a compression test tomorrow but I don't have a gauge and gotta call a few friends to see if they have one. Well tell me what you guys think.

Thanks,
Justin

:(

Texan32
06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
i would definately start with pulling the clutch cover off, since you already have had problems with it in the past. Did you pull the oil filter out and check that for metal? You might have sheared off a tooth or two (big chunks) in the clutch that wedged themselves inbetween some other gears and locked it up.

TheChknhwk
06-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I compression tested yer girl, but I don't think she was 11:1. J/k man, but that blew. The trails around your place are awesome & I can't wait til you get it rebuilt so we can run them again:) Let me know if you need a hand; if I have time I will be glad to help.

Hawk

Red00Honda400EX
06-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Reading the other thread about the Hot cams I'm wondering if the flange came loose. Anyway anyone else have an idea. I hope its just the clutch but I have that sinking feeling. :( :( :( :( :(

Mxbubs
06-02-2003, 05:49 PM
If it died, it is not solely a clutch problem. If you are running a hinson basket, the bolts that hold the gear to the back of the basket could have back out, scraped the motor and made it jump time. The 400ex is notorious for either jumping time, which is caused by a loose cam flange, scrap getting between the cam chain and sprocket. If it jumped time, you probably stuck a valve thru the piston. These bikes also blow alot of head gaskets. They also explode clutch baskets, which will in turn send shrapnel all thru the motor and make it jump time. Or they will blow out the connecting rod bearing which sucks. Usually is blown clutch--causes jumped time-----.Blown head gasket, or blown connecting rod bearing. The connecting rod can also snap if you jump time and stick a valve thru the piston, the piston sticks to the valve and the rod breaks as it is trying to pull the piston back down.

Either way, I learned the hard way, fix it 100% before you restart it.

Red00Honda400EX
06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Well here is what I saw after pulling the case off. Nothing really the clutch still looked good (I only got part of it off as I didn't want to use an impact wrench on the other bolt and was working alone.)

Only thing I saw that worried me. But it could just be in the casting of the metal its big to show good detail so It may take awhile for dial uppers.

http://www.thebestgen.com/images/P1010026.JPG

I didn't find any metal in my filter or on the bottom of my motor. I guess all I have left is to pull the top end tomorrow and see whats up with it. :( :(

BTW shop manuals rock. :D

Mxbubs
06-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Smaller

oregonrider89
06-03-2003, 06:50 PM
You may have busted a flywheel key, (woodruff) (sp?) key. I know big bore 250R's can do that. Just an idea. You'd have to pull the cover off the bolt you use to turn the engine manualy, sorry I have no idea what its called. On the left side of the engine, the larger of the two that need a alan wrench to take off. If the bolt on the end of the crank that holds your flywheel on is loose thats probly what happened.

oregonrider89

Red00Honda400EX
06-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Smaller

I coulda made it smaller but the big pic shows good detail. ;)

I still haven't had much time to pull it apart I'll probably pull the motor tomorrow and take the top end off :(