PDA

View Full Version : FMX Mods

Wired
06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
everyone does mx mods, what do you guys do to setup your quad for fmx. just curious

first thing i do is monkey around with the suspension, i try to stiffen up the shocks a little bit so i dont bottom out on hard impacts.

i also run a lower tire pressure, this helps take a little impact out of hard landings and i feel more comfertable approaching a ramp if its smoother.

i usually run my handlebars as high as they can go. i like feeling comfertable standing up and not having my back croutched over. i want to be able to correct anything wrong that happens right off of take off. standing up in attack position works best and feeling comfertable standing is VERY important for when i ride freestyle.

QuAdRaCeR244
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM

Glow Plug
06-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
I wish i could fmx :( man i need a job hey wired how's the kfx coming any picture? or some more top secret stuff

06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
i usually run my handlebars as high as they can go. i like feeling comfertable standing up and not having my back croutched over

muhaha i feel the same way and everyone bashes on my quad because of its high bars, i love em, there awesome bend, if u stand up on a cr, and look where the bars are to your body and then stand on my quad its about the same difference, the seat is lower tho

flyin#5
06-02-2003, 03:01 PM
well im not picky... thow me a quad and ill hit the jump with it.... and "try" some freestyle:rolleyes:

Wired
06-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
well im not picky... thow me a quad and ill hit the jump with it.... and "try" some freestyle:rolleyes:

im not picky either, it just makes it 10x easier to be comfertable on the quad ;)

kxrider
06-02-2003, 05:16 PM
i didnt do nothin to my 250ex(lost cuase for freestyle), but my kx shave the seat to make cans an stuf easier cut the plastic for look, no grab holes cuase i cant grab nothin but my balls, and i dont wanna be a poser:D

Nausty
06-02-2003, 05:39 PM
man I should get a longer stem. I agree with you about the bars because i'm 6' 2" I make my quad look tiny and i'm always hunched over. I can't even touch my handlebars if I stand up strait with a strait posture. I would get atv bend bars but I got some long arse arms too and the atv bars always seem to be closer to my chest. I can't wait tell I order a +2 length and +1 forward stem.

On topic though I don't change anything besides maybe a little foot work on the lip or rutts on the face of jumps. I can't wait to try some stuff this weekend.

flyin#5
06-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Wired
im not picky either, it just makes it 10x easier to be comfertable on the quad ;)

thats true!

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Im not Jon Guetter but I can do the simple stuff....

.No footers
.No handers
.No footed look back
.Can Can (kinda corny)
.No footer TO No hander Lander
.Nac Nac
.Cliff Hanger
.Workin on the cordova- with my new TAG's it makes it easier cause they are pretty low bars.

But I usually check the face of the jump before I hit it, like Il roll right to the top of the lip and see if its gonna launch me or is it more of a speed jump then air. Other then that I pretty much do what you guys said.

MojaveKing
06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
hey wired.......Herp hit the new jump......its not bad......i am thinkin about it.....
well when u goin to post some pictures of the KFX?? come on man!
what bro is still back @ wabasso....wti the R who he sold to Tony......just he was @ the track sunday
also
u guys have to get that Hbomb Films WEb site WORKin!!
:D come on guys:D

airheadedduner
06-04-2003, 06:25 AM
I am not really a freestyler but I have my R set up to get big air out in the dunes.

For shocks I am running EX shocks on my R in the front. They are valved for a 190lb rider. I weigh 142. The rear is stock with an LRD long traval kit, revalve, eibach spring. It is valved for 180lb rider. Compressin 2 clicks from maxed and slowed rebound so it don't kick me on landing, preload is set so that with no wieght on the wheels there is no preload. Again, compression is used instead of preload so it don't bounce as much off the landing. I prefer my bars forward a little more and my levers and throttle angled down a lot. This is so I can use them more easily in a standup position. I am currently running a 3 over stock swingarm. It gives me more traval and balences better though I will probly go back to stock. But making it balence better and more stable is a trade off that is no longer worth it. The longer swingarm de-centralizes the weight making it harder to adjust errors. I finnaly got front beadlocks to cure my bead blowing problem, front sand tires don't exactly have the stiffest sidewalls:ermm:

Glow Plug
06-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I am not really a freestyler but I have my R set up to get big air out in the dunes.

For shocks I am running EX shocks on my R in the front. They are valved for a 190lb rider. I weigh 142. The rear is stock with an LRD long traval kit, revalve, eibach spring. It is valved for 180lb rider. Compressin 2 clicks from maxed and slowed rebound so it don't kick me on landing, preload is set so that with no wieght on the wheels there is no preload. Again, compression is used instead of preload so it don't bounce as much off the landing. I prefer my bars forward a little more and my levers and throttle angled down a lot. This is so I can use them more easily in a standup position. I am currently running a 3 over stock swingarm. It gives me more traval and balences better though I will probly go back to stock. But making it balence better and more stable is a trade off that is no longer worth it. The longer swingarm de-centralizes the weight making it harder to adjust errors. I finnaly got front beadlocks to cure my bead blowing problem, front sand tires don't exactly have the stiffest sidewalls:ermm:

sounds like quite the set up got any pictures? :)

airheadedduner
06-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Only ones in the air:p I will have to get pic when I get the beadlocks mounted up again. Their was a flaw in the welding and they leaked bad but I fixed em good.

Here is an over posted pic, but I likes it:cool:

CHAUNCY
06-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Only ones in the air:p I will have to get pic when I get the beadlocks mounted up again. Their was a flaw in the welding and they leaked bad but I fixed em good.

Thats a sick pic:devil:

Glow Plug
06-06-2003, 03:37 AM

i've seen that one a ton but i still like it how far up were you? :D

airheadedduner
06-06-2003, 05:30 AM
We scaled it out one day with one of the other pics I have. That one I am not at the highest point. In the croched attack possition I am about 5'6 on the bike. We scaled it at the highest point on the other pic and estamate it to be 14-18ft off the ground(we could fit about 3 of me betweent the ground and the bottom of the bike).

4TraxRider
06-06-2003, 06:12 AM
What's everyones best trick that they can do? I can finally do a no footed no handed can can. I think it's sick, but I know you guys can out do that. So whats your best?

DaveEX7
06-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
What's everyones best trick that they can do? I can finally do a no footed no handed can can. I think it's sick, but I know you guys can out do that. So whats your best?

Superman-Backflip:rolleyes:

Naw, my best is prob the cordova Im still workin on.

Glow Plug
06-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider

double back flip lol no i don't do tricks on the bayou :rolleyes:

Sick0
06-08-2003, 03:47 PM
I welded the two stock peg togatehr. Its better for the your ankles and more comfortable and have a little more controlle of the quad. I also have 1/2" spacer behind the steering bushing and a I think a 1" forward stem. I'm 6'4" so I need more room than the average guy. I'm cutting the lower part of my back plastic so my boots don't get cauth in them. I was thinking of saving the seat foam to get better clancer and to be able to turn better. I geuss all of these mods arn't just for freestyle but the help for racing too.

Nausty
06-08-2003, 04:36 PM
yeah, i'm 6'2 and before I got my bar clamp kit which raised my cr hi bars about a inch which is about perfect. Now I need to adjust my bars farther foward or get a differant stem which we will pry just reinforce the stock one and bend it back into shape. Either way though running the bars a inch higher made a huge differance. I don't like atv bends even though they sit higher because they have so much sweep and its like the bars are at your chest and you can't get any leverage on them.

Heres a pic of my new universal bars which I got for 75 bucks and have a 2 year guarentee.:D

Just about everything is better with this setup. I got alot of parts polished so that you can see yourself in em. I moved the location of the tether which is a lot better. New grips that are tie wired and wrapped with tape around the tire wire. Just so many little things that make it feel and look so much better. I also got only the electric start button on the handle bars so I don't bump the killswitch or lights in a race and I got my right grip trimmed so its not in the way of the throttle. SS brakelines make it look pretty trick too.

lol, I can't beleive i've talked this long about my bars.

Dan_Guetter
06-08-2003, 07:29 PM
yea we got a mod for ya!!! but what is it!!??

top secret:eek2: :eek2:

airheadedduner
06-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
yea we got a mod for ya!!! but what is it!!??

top secret:eek2: :eek2:
:confused: What could that possibly be:confused:

I just picked up my adjustable thumb throttle lever today, it looks trick. Hmmmmm something else to tweak:p