PDA

View Full Version : 14/39 Sprocket combo

thejeepdude
06-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Well, it seems like everyone on the board is gearing UP for more speed, but I decided to go for a 14/39 combo for more control and bottom end torque in the steep rocky terrain I frequent. Just wanted to say, it's awesome! The biggest advantage will be the ability to slow it down some on the steep technical climbs without boggin down. I'm sure I lost some top end, but I never ride that fast anyways... just wanted to provide some positive feedback in case someone was contemplating gearing down and was talked out of it by other posters on this board... don't be afraid, go for it! Besides, sprockets are cheap! I'm going to keep a 14/15/16 on hand just to experiment with them.

RaptorEater
06-02-2003, 06:58 AM
go with the 16/36 and you will fly by a stock raptor like nothing...ex for life

Notu400ex
06-02-2003, 10:01 AM
This is a common combo on the east coast. I even have a 13 tooth from SideWinder when the 22" tires are thrown on.

I am getting a 250r rear brake setup and going to run 13/36 gearing/ I want to gain as much space between the skidplate and the rotor and sprocket or modify the rear skidplate to gain ground clearance.

/Jon

thejeepdude
06-02-2003, 10:02 AM
raptoreater: why would i want to "fly by a raptor" going up a 60 degree rocky hillclimb? Did you read my post? The whole point was bottom end, not drag racing.:rolleyes:

bmw500hp
06-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Jeepdude...you prob use the 14/38 before you went to a 39...post the differences when you went to the 39 rear. Curious to hear them...

RaptorEater
06-02-2003, 03:18 PM
so your telling me you only climb hills? unless you like getting passed non stop get the 16/36 or get a worker to climb hills

see you in last place

thejeepdude
06-02-2003, 06:54 PM
bmw... actually, I went from stock 15/38 to 14/39. I had to get a new chain and had to buy new sprockets anyways, so I opted for the lowest gearing rockymountainatv.com had. As for my experiences thus far, I just spent the last few hours on the mountain and it made a HUGE diffrence on the rutted up steep trails. I never had to use first except for the really rocky spots where it helped a lot to keep the speed down. Third became usable :D wheras before it would just lug and I'd have to hit 2nd when I don't want to. It even helped on the MX track at the same park. It's small and sandy with no long stretches. Now with all those turns 3rd gear is right in the power band and fourth is much more effective when hittin the table tops.

RaptorEater... you sound like a punk little kid. Do you always run your mouth before you know all the facts? No, I don't ALWAYS do hillclimbs, but the nearest OHV parks in my area are not high speed areas. They're more technical riding, or maybe that's something you don't do because you don't really have any skill :confused: It's amazing your gearing seems to be perfect for every situation. There's a tool for everything, and when I go to a more open area I plan on trying a 16 tooth, since it takes a whopping 10 minutes to change. You bring your 16/36 geared 400EX out here and I'll bet you quads that I'll beat you to the top of the hill of my choice. Put up or shut up, unless you're going to say something useful.

L.Vegas400
06-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
RaptorEater... you sound like a punk little kid.... Put up or shut up, unless you're going to say something useful.
very well said:macho

bmw500hp
06-03-2003, 08:04 AM
bmw... actually, I went from stock 15/38 to 14/39. I had to get a new chain and had to buy new sprockets anyways, so I opted for the lowest gearing rockymountainatv.com had. As for my experiences thus far, I just spent the last few hours on the mountain and it made a HUGE diffrence on the rutted up steep trails. I never had to use first except for the really rocky spots where it helped a lot to keep the speed down. Third became usable :D wheras before it would just lug and I'd have to hit 2nd when I don't want to. It even helped on the MX track at the same park. It's small and sandy with no long stretches. Now with all those turns 3rd gear is right in the power band and fourth is much more effective when hittin the table tops.

Dude...thats just what I figured...been lookin for some usable power in 3rd until get some mods... never use 5th except to get down the road to the next trail...and they mostly all ruts,rocks on the hill..."always" pullin from idle in second then to third and then loosin power...Thanks for the complete answer.....

thejeepdude
06-03-2003, 08:11 AM
no problemo... sounds like your riding conditions are similar to mine. I say definitely go for it! It's so cheap anyways, might as well. If you do decide to go with it, let me know what you think!

bmw500hp
06-06-2003, 03:07 PM
no problemo... sounds like your riding conditions are similar to mine. I say definitely go for it! It's so cheap anyways, might as well. If you do decide to go with it, let me know what you think!

jeepers...had some bent teeth on my 14 so i bought a new one and also a 39 tooth rear .....lol..Love it! 2nd gear comes right out of a bog... and 3rd now pulls up the rpms rather than pushin 2nd to the limit. Not having to downshift to 2nd in the tight woods is great!

RIjon
06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
I very well might do the same thing

I Never go WOT in 5th gear , I am always doing more technical riding than anything

Sounds good

thejeepdude
06-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, first time at the dunes with the new gears... spent the weekend at Sand Mountain climing up and down the 600ft dunes and man it's awesome. The only downside is that on the REEAAALLY steep stuff, toward the top of the hill when I'm forced to downshift to first, it's geared so low it's like come to a crawl. But that's really OK since I can now run most of the hills in 3rd instead of 2nd, and hardly ever have to use first, as second pulls so strong. I think once my pipe gets here and I get the jetting right, I'll never have to use first on the dunes again. There were a few places on the wide open trails where it would have been nice to have my higher gears back, but I clocked myself on GPS at 59.7 mph... and honestly, that's way more top end than I really need most of the time. With the added ability in the technical stuff and the extra torque in the sand, I think the 14/39 is just about perfect for my riding style.

bmw500hp
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
man, just had to give this thread one more pop..hills are so much better with the 14/39...when the front end comes up, and you slip, the wheelspin is "just right"...I think this particular ratio is a real winner for woods riding, especially with the stock motor. Now the only time I use first is when lighting a cigarette, lol :D

thejeepdude
06-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Hahaha... I hear ya! But shhhh... don't tell anyone else around here... they all seem to swear that higher gearing is the answer, regardless of where you ride. :p ;) Oh one more thing, if you ever get have to carry someone around (my girlfriend in this case), the extra torque makes a HUGE difference! I carted her to the top of Sand Mountain and even with her extra 120lb back there, I was able to climb just about anything, and the midrange acceleration in the sand is way better too, which is great since riding in sand is practically like riding with your brakes on as far as rolling friction goes...