PDA

View Full Version : pitching the nose

ESR250R
06-01-2003, 12:43 PM
i am having the hardest time learning how to pull the clutch in and tap the rear brakes over a jump. i've tried this several time and i always seem to freak out. if u use my two fingers to pull in the clutch all thats left is my pinky and ring finger to hold the bars and i dont like the idea of possible getting a little crazy in the air and not being able to control my atv. i need to know if there is a easier way to learn or do this or if its just something that takes time.

Ryan
06-01-2003, 12:49 PM
For me, it just toke time to get used to it. When im in the air, I pull the clutch in with my 2 fingers, tap the brakes, then once I hit the ground I drop the clutch and nail the gas.

You probably just need to get more comfortable in the air.

Nausty
06-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ESR250R
i am having the hardest time learning how to pull the clutch in and tap the rear brakes over a jump. i've tried this several time and i always seem to freak out. if u use my two fingers to pull in the clutch all thats left is my pinky and ring finger to hold the bars and i dont like the idea of possible getting a little crazy in the air and not being able to control my atv. i need to know if there is a easier way to learn or do this or if its just something that takes time.

Pull in the clutch over every jump just for practice and once you got that down as instinct just tap the rear brake. Thats how I learned.

Rip_Tear
06-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Great advice... Now I just need to feel good enough with my quad to actually launch it... I am scared that I am going to Endo hard or something and I just freak myself out too much to jump it yet... I will just take my time till I am ready, but I will remember that for when I start.

Derek
06-01-2003, 01:36 PM
With your right hand still on the bars you should be able to control the quad rather well. Just dont put so much pressure on your right hand before you pull your left hand off.

hondaracer31
06-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Here's something to try...Now don't laugh...it works, just try it.
I hit the FRONT brakes while I'm in the air. Grab them quik and hard enuff to stop the tires. Make sure to release them BEFORE you hit the ground. I know some of you are going to laugh, but TRY IT!!!!!!!

Mxbubs
06-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Guys Guys Guys, if you study the jump and know your quad there is no reason ever to have to hit the brakes. If you jump and level your quad off from the begining, you dont have to gyroscope it to land level. Remember, the steeper the face, the more it will nose dive you, so be on the throttle all the way thru. The flatter the face, let off the gas a bit right at the top.

I have never used my brakes, and I have jumped a 100ft double peak to peak.

Just say no to BRAKES!:D

Nausty
06-01-2003, 06:49 PM
yeah, mxbubs is right on that too other than the jumps where you have to hold pinned from the corner tell your in the air to be able to clear it. (thats what I don't like about almost stock motors)

Derek
06-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Bubs that is true but what happens when u hit a jump wrong and your nose does start to come up. Are you just gonna sit there and die. Its better to at least no what to do when something goes wrong.

Mxbubs
06-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Just dont ever come off the lip wrong.:D

AtvMxRider
06-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
I hit the FRONT brakes while I'm in the air. Grab them quik and hard enuff to stop the tires. Make sure to release them BEFORE you hit the ground. I know some of you are going to laugh, but TRY IT!!!!!!!

It's not funny cause it works. Along as the fronts not too high.;)

Derek
06-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Just dont ever come off the lip wrong.:D

AHAHAHAHA that wha the idea is.:p

MxDale71
06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Grab the clutch w/ all 4 fingers. That way it won't feel like you are holding on w/ just a couple of fingers... it'll be just like holding on to the bars any other time except it'll feel a little thicker cause of the clutch lever.

But if you are getting enough air that you actually can use the brake tapping trick, than you should be feeling comfortable enough on the quad to let go w/ one hand or AT LEAST a couple of fingers. If you aren't comfortable enough to do that, than it is probably not safe that you are getting that much air. Just go off of some little 20 foot jumps and practice grabbing the clutch while in the air. Once you get that down, then move up to the bigger jumps.

MxDale71
06-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31

That may work, but that can't be all that effective. There's less momentum in the front tires so when you lock those tires up, it'll have less force and it'll also be tryin to pick the back end up. The rear tires have more momentum and only have to assist gravity by helping push the front end down. So I don't see how using the front brakes would be all that effective at getting the front end down (unles you kept the brakes locked when you land... that'll bring the front end down for sure, and it would also do a good job of slamming the rider into the ground). I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but if you are gonna be pulling in a lever anyways, just use the clutch and tap the rear brake and it'll help MUCH more.

Mxbubs
06-02-2003, 01:07 PM
There is no subsitute for seat time. You need to ride enough to know the feel of the quad in the air, that way you dont freak out if you stand the nose up, or dip the nose.

Yeah, hitting the front or rear brakes will bring the front end down. If you should happen to jump with the front end up, I dont hit any brakes. I hold on tight, and just as the quad is making contact with the ground, I slam the gas. Why? Slamming the gas will keep the front end from slamming down even harder. If you dont know what you are doing, you will slap the front end down, and over the bars you go. If you brake to much in the air, this will make the nose drift down, causing your front end to slap down even harder upon landing, and over the bars you go. Remember, just dont freak out, hold on and gas it, clinch the gas tank with your knees to keep from being bucked over the bars.

If your nose dips, GAS IT! Most of the time, the quad isnt coming over, so gas it hard and hold on. Clinch the tank with your knees again.

If you study the speed and angle of the jump, you never have to worry about any of this stuff.:D

Sick0
06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
I think I'm with mxbud. I just learn how to hit the jump right. I don't think i had ever hit a jump; and had to use the rear brakes;