PDA

View Full Version : Hotcam and other stuff jetting

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Very soon iam going to be gettin a hotcam stage 2 and i was wondering what the proper jetting would be for it. I also have a yoshimura rs3 pipe, air filter, jet kit stage 2 have no clue what the number is. Any ideas on what my new jet should be?

Chanman420q
06-01-2003, 11:30 AM
i dont think u have to jet for a cam............ i dont see how it effects air flow

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Yeah but i heard you were soposed to re-jet the carb with a bigger cam or something. I dunno most of you guys are alot smarter then me any help?

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
any ideas people.

Juggalo
06-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i dont think u have to jet for a cam............ i dont see how it effects air flow

ummmm a cam has a huge effect on airflow! it opens the valves wider and holds them open longeer, letting more air into the engine and more out.

Kilabanshee
06-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Juggalo my question still stands whats the jet i should run in the carb with the new cam.

Chanman420q
06-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
ummmm a cam has a huge effect on airflow! it opens the valves wider and holds them open longeer, letting more air into the engine and more out.

well now i know ;)

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 09:11 AM
you don't have to jet with a cam i ran my stock cam and went straight to to the HC and never touched the jets, a cam doesn't change the air/fuel ratio and doesn't change the volume that enters the cylinder it just controls when it allows it to enter and exit and allows it to enter and exit quicker due to the more lift

Kilabanshee
06-03-2003, 10:24 AM
so your saying i can run the normal jets i have in it know.

kgbg
06-03-2003, 11:19 AM
First off you could get away without jetting, but ideally you would want to dial it in perfectly. And yes a cam does effect the amount of air in the cylinder. There are two measurments on a cam that make them different: lift and duration. Lift is how far the valves open, so if they are open farther or less, you would be allowing more of less air/fuel into the cyl. The duration is how long the valves are open, so more duaration = more air/fuel in the cyl.
Second, always tell your elevation and airbox/filter when asking jetting info. Any info given without this is nonesense.
Good Luck

Kilabanshee
06-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok ill ask my local atv shop about all that stuff thanks alot guys for the help........