PDA

View Full Version : Ignition

E400X
08-08-2001, 01:46 PM
Can someone explain to me how the ignition works. How does it get the power and how is the timing set up. Also, what does the stator do. I am just tring to understand this thing better. Thanks alot.

booneTRX
08-08-2001, 06:24 PM
The flywheel has wound coils for ignition and lighting. The stator has another set of coils for each. The flywheel either has magnets itself or can be completely magnetized, causing an electrical field thru the coils on the flywheel. As the engine rotates the flywheel an electrical field is amplified and picked up by the coils on the stator. These coils send power to the lighting circuit and to the CDI (capacitor discharge ignition). As long as your motor turns, a signal is going to the CDI and lites.

The CDI takes this signal which is a wave type voltage, and holds it until it reaches a certain amount. It then discharges to the plug creating the proper timing and voltage to burn the fuel mixture.

Timing is set from the factory at a point they want the plug to fire in reference to the piston location. Timing can be adjusted by turning the stator or by installing a notched woodruff key on the crank to shift the flywheel a few degrees.

This is the best I can explain. Hope it helps.

Dan

08-09-2001, 09:14 AM
Looks like somebodies got they thinkin cap on today,,,well explained my man...;)