PDA

View Full Version : LEaking E-Series WTF .....

RIjon
06-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Ok, This has to be a manufacturing defect

My damn WB Can is leaking out the BACK where the shell is wrapped around ...like there is no seal in there :mad:

http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/Leaky.jpg

No wonder is sputters and backfires on Decel :(

Any way to Fix this? ( I am not the original owner)

Thanks

TheX1992
06-01-2003, 08:44 AM
1. contact the company and tell them your problem

2. weld around it to seal it

Sick0
06-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Mine does the same thing. Smoke comes out both ends. Its only a list of problems I've had with this pipe.

RIjon
06-01-2003, 09:14 AM
I thought these were suppost to be Great Pipes :confused:

Most of what I have Read has been positive

But WTF , that's just piss poor design work :grr:

What is your 'list' of problems sicko ?

Anyone have a fone # for WB ?

:ermm:

4TraxRider
06-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I think I remember reading that the WB leaks out of there, but I can't remeber if it was the e-series or not. Try using solder to seal it up, if you ever have to repack it, you might not be able to break a weld very clean.

RIjon
06-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Well I can't see welding Alum to Stainless very easily :confused2

Thanks for the thoughts so far

DaveEX7
06-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by RIjon

714-692-3464 ;)

AtvMxRider
06-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Well I can't see welding Alum to Stainless very easily :confused2

Thanks for the thoughts so far

That part is not aluminum.

400exBro
06-02-2003, 10:37 AM
it is normal i talked to someone at WB and they said it is normal and it won't take away power, if you don't like it take some rv silcone and put it around that way it is sealed and that is what i did... but i really wish i spent the extra cash and bought a sparks x-6 pipe...

Sick0
06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
I thought these were suppost to be Great Pipes :confused:

Most of what I have Read has been positive

But WTF , that's just piss poor design work :grr:

What is your 'list' of problems sicko ?

:ermm:

Well One by one the mounts broke off. the pipe broke off the silencer and had to be re welded, the thing leaks form the front. The clamp thats clamps the head pipe to the silencer snaped, and O the the packing is going. Snap a bolt the holds one of the disk on.

Bean
06-03-2003, 04:00 AM
did you ever stop and think maybe that those problems could be from your own errors?

like maybe you installed it wrong, tightened the bolts to tight, etc

Sick0
06-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Bean
did you ever stop and think maybe that those problems could be from your own errors?

like maybe you installed it wrong, tightened the bolts to tight, etc

Maybe it would if I was they only person thats I heard of doing this too. why do you think WB redesign the pipe. Thats have a lot of problems with this stuff. I know 3 people in my home town thats this has happen to. and there isn't alot of poeple heard r]that rides quad. I mounted it right. I'm sure one problem cause another problem. but wtf, design the pipe a little better. I have one of the older olders too. I can tell you thats the pics is of a new one.

remlapr
06-03-2003, 11:50 AM
How can you tell the "old" ones from the "new" ones?

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
How can you tell the "old" ones from the "new" ones?

By the shinyness:D .

But seriously an "old" one can be polished up to look like a new one or even better.

Sick0
06-03-2003, 11:58 AM
For one his pipe is connected diffrently to the silencer, they added a gusset to stiffen thats area up. They used diffrent mounts.

northeast400
06-03-2003, 01:33 PM
The new has a gusset from the pipe to the canister. you have the new design

dblej23
06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
i have had a e-series for about a year. i was up riding and thougt my bike seemed a little loud, i reached bac and the pipe broke off the mount and there was a sqare hole.the whole mount had fallen off and eventually it broke it three pieces.it craked all along the weld and looked like it had been leaking for awile.i will never buy another one like that.right know i'm looking at yoshimura.

remlapr
06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
yosh pipes are very high quality construction - but the e-series beats it in the shootouts by about 1hp, but the yosh's are sweet looking.

dblej23
06-03-2003, 03:52 PM
i have had a e-series for about a year. i was up riding and thougt my bike seemed a little loud, i reached bac and the pipe broke off the mount and there was a sqare hole.the whole mount had fallen off and eventually it broke it three pieces.it craked all along the weld and looked like it had been leaking for awile.i will never buy another one like that.right know i'm looking at yoshimura.

dblej23
06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
but if the quality is not there and it falls apart in after a year the one horse power dosen't much.

Sick0
06-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dblej23
but if the quality is not there and it falls apart in after a year the one horse power dosen't much.

Like I said this happen to alot of poeple.

06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Sick0
I know 3 people in my home town thats this has happen to. and there isn't alot of poeple heard r]that rides quad.

Why would you get a pipe that 3 people you know already have???? WTF?!?!?!

Sick0
06-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
Why would you get a pipe that 3 people you know already have???? WTF?!?!?!

I was the first person I knew who had the pipe. and I didn't know **** about quads then. I just wanted a cool looking pipe thats made alot of nosie

danney f
06-04-2003, 05:11 PM
These same probblems have been talked about in a past thread.
Here is a short cut to it.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51430

wickedex
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Ya'll are lucky. My E-Series broke at the joint where the pipe is welded to the can. I laid me a nice bead 'round it and it's held up fine. I like the tunability of it over most pipes though so I'll keep it.:macho

Meek
06-04-2003, 10:45 PM
I have had this problem also, the first was replaced at no cost to me. When the second broke they told me that they would not replace it, since I did not buy it from them, that it was an exchange. I had RANGER400EX weld it up for me, and have had no more problems, until last week when the mount tab broke off.

DaveEX7
06-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Seems like most people who have had the E-Series say it either broke or they got a new pipe instead..... Im glad I went with Big Gun.

buckeye400ex
06-05-2003, 08:00 AM
The welds are crap on this pipe. Yours has the bracket like the remanned I got from White Bros. Just get a good welder, to put a decent weld on that area. It's all steel. The silencer cover is aluminum.
My feeling is the angle of the pipe to the silencer is the problem. No one that I know of with the Pro-Meg Full system has this problem, and the pipe and silencer are parallel to the ground, not pointing up like the e-series slip on.

RIjon
06-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by buckeye400ex
It's all steel. The silencer cover is aluminum.

This confused me

The silencer is leaking around the shell , where the seam is around the rivets

you say the 'cover' is Alum and the rest is Stainless ??

If that is the case then how can I get it welded :confused:

Stevie-D
06-05-2003, 01:34 PM
This confused me

something tells me that its leakin from where the can connects to the pipe. if you doubt me, take some soapy water(very soapy) and cover the pipe with it...then turn on the quad and see where its bubblin at;)

it seems awful strange to me that it would leak where you said

buckeye400ex
06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
This confused me

The silencer is leaking around the shell , where the seam is around the rivets

you say the 'cover' is Alum and the rest is Stainless ??

If that is the case then how can I get it welded :confused:

I was thinking it was leaking in between your two green arrows. Where the steel pipe enters the silencer piece. That's the weld on mine that broke. If it's leaking around the rivets, drill em out and take the aluminum piece off, repack it and re-rivet it back on. The aluminum piece should be pretty snug on the steel oval piece that is connected to the pipe.

Clear as mud? Sorry man, just trying to help. Good luck!

RIjon
06-05-2003, 02:36 PM
The weld at the pipe is perfect

It is just where the yellow is on that seam , right out towards the front of the quad (not the rivets themselves)

tonight I cleaned it all real well and filled it all the way around with Two Part Opoxy

Worked like a charm

The rest of the Can is in perfect condition

I also did what Another member(F-16guy) described and made it so Both mounts are rubber mounted so they can vibrate a lil

Thanks for all the help guys ;)