PDA

View Full Version : 250r details?

mx517
06-01-2003, 06:44 AM
I'm looking into selling my shee and buying a quad more geared toward mx racing. I'm not sure if i should wait and see what 450's come out from honda and yamaha or purchase an R. I love the way 2 strokes feel, but it seems like a 4 stroke is the way to go. Are 250R's still competitive with yzf426's and crf450's and the newer 4 strokes that are being released? Also if i get an R what are the main differences between the 88-89 model and the 86-87 models. What would i want to look for when buying an R (like where do the frames usually crack, what to look for with the engine, carbs, and anything else that will help me in my search for a good R? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

shane

4TraxRider
06-01-2003, 09:25 AM
The new breed of CRF and YZF engined quads are faster than a 250R, unless a substantial amount of money is spent. The new R's, had a longer swing arm, and were a better buy if you can find one. Look for crash damage from roll-overs, and you know you can always take me down to look at it. You know I'll find you a good one.

Bean
06-03-2003, 01:30 AM
an R has the most availibility of aftermarket parts of any quad, they are still very competitive with the new bikes, you dont need 55hp to race around an MX track, get an 88-89 model if possible, the chassi is setup better, and the waterpump and clutch on the 89 is the best of them all. check the swingarm bearings, axel bearings, ride it for clunking and grinding sounds when shifting or turning. the seat latch fails alot if its stock, my seat flew off rampin a few times, check the brakes and see if the pistons drag, check bolts to make sure they didnt epoxy them in, if they did, they probably rig their stuff, watch that. and always ask a 250r seller what type of cam and valve and valve springs he has installed in his 250r, if he gives you the wtf look, he is probably intelligent, if he goes on and says i put so and so cam in it, dont buy that R. here is a good tip when buying a 4wheeler, act totally stupid about the bike, and see what the guy trys to pull, if he doesnt try anything and is perfectly honost, that could be the bike to buy