PDA

View Full Version : 350r power problem!

Narly R
05-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Ok I have a 350r engine and i have a stock pipe and stock 36mm carb and it just bogs alot on the bottom end and top end. I just havent had the money for a carb or pipe, but I think Im gettin the 2 within 2 weeks and is what I want to know is, is that why its running so crappy? I think so, Im shure it is Im just wounderin.:confused:

Glamis400ex
05-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Narly,

I'm not engine god, but I would suspect that with that big of an engine...the stock carb and pipe are causing major restriction. It can't breathe. I could be completly wrong too...:confused:

Glamis

310Rduner
05-31-2003, 04:14 PM
stocks 34mm but anyways when i first got mine it was running so ****ty you wouldnt believe.. slapped a 38mm on it and it was a COMPLETELY diff bike.. imo get the carb first.. if your motor cant get enough gas theres no point in a good pipe.

you wont be disspointed with one thing about it...

prolly try 38a/s if you want top end or 38mm tmx for low-mid.

that or you might 39mm fo rthat big engine:eek:

airheadedduner
05-31-2003, 04:59 PM
No matter what carb it should still run okay. What color is your plug??

Narly R
05-31-2003, 06:11 PM
Wel I dunt know if its not getting enough air and gas and cant get it out then it would be like amost sufecating it. But my plug well, I havent checked it I think I should I guess but it still is getting enough gas I know and runs like crap!!!! I know it has to be the pipe! I will see.........:rolleyes:

twisted threads
05-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Slap a 39PWK carb on it and a big bore pipe and that thing should rip.

honda350r
06-01-2003, 03:25 AM
I will bet your stock carb is way too rich ! That bigger cc engine will have alot more velocity and will pull more fuel than a small cc engine!

Big carb big jets and small carb small jets!

Jim

AndrewRRR
06-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Thats like telling an elephant to breathe through a straw! Your stock pipe won't scavange the exhaust from that motor worth a damn and a 34mm carb is waaaay to small. I'd just wait until you can get a proper pipe and carb. I ran a 38mm A/S on my 350r and now I'm running a CNC'ed 40.5mm and it woke it up quite a bit. CPI and a few other companies can make a pipe tuned for your particular motor, and a few companies make big bore pipes (FTZ, LRD, to name a couple).
What is the motor ported for? Usually big bores don't have a problem with bottom end, so you are probably way fat on your pilot jet and you probably have the wrong needle. I used a stock-type needle and the taper was way off in my R. I ended up going back to my LRD big bore needle (I think it's a DEJ) and it made a world of difference.
P.S.- dont bother boring your stock carb. I had a 34PJ that was taper bored to a 39mm and the thing was so screwy nobody could get it jetted right. Thats when I bought the 38 a/s.

86350x
06-01-2003, 08:49 AM
MY bro's 302 r wouldn't rev out at all under a load, until we seriously openend up the airbox and installed a 38mm air stryker. I'd go with an lrd or an fmf fatty for pipes.

Narly R
06-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Well I picked up a Bill's pipe and silencer yesterday, its not really what i wanted but for only 30 bucks and in good shape it was a heck of a deal! I have to put it on still but Im going to ride it today and Ill tell ya if I see and differance! Im going to get a Kihien (sp) 39mm carb soon as well! Then I should be back in action!;)

forum
06-02-2003, 05:28 AM
you need a big bore pipe. and a 38mm airstryker. Talk to LRD. they really know there stuff. they ofer a big bore pipe. THe 38mm Airstryker is a much better carb then the 39 pwk. THe pwk doesn't mix the fuel air mixture well. Don't just buy a regular 250r pipe. YOu really need a big bore pipe. why would you spend the money on a 350 kit and still have a stook pipe?? are you a new comer to the sport?

airheadedduner
06-02-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by forum
you need a big bore pipe. and a 38mm airstryker. Talk to LRD. they really know there stuff. they ofer a big bore pipe. THe 38mm Airstryker is a much better carb then the 39 pwk. THe pwk doesn't mix the fuel air mixture well.

Why is that?? I thought the only difference between the 2 was the airstryker's finned inlet:confused:

Narly R
06-02-2003, 05:56 AM
I know why its not running well and I knew when I got the engine what I would need I just couldnt afford buing a new ;pipe and carb at the time! I will get some kind of carb then! And I have a 36mm right now not 34. Im shure this bills pipe will be better that stock! I will get a LRD big bore pipe in time. I just need to make some money!

AndrewRRR
06-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by forum
you need a big bore pipe. and a 38mm airstryker. Talk to LRD. they really know there stuff. they ofer a big bore pipe. THe 38mm Airstryker is a much better carb then the 39 pwk.

My motor was orginally a LRD 350 and honestly I would advise against the LRD big bore pipe and 38mm carb unless you MX. When I had it the thing was all midrange and the pipe didn't really make a noticeable difference when you adjusted it. I also got rid of the 38mm A/S because it just won't breathe enough for the dunes and drags (LRD told me to get the 38 since I was into MX also at the time).
Is your motor ported for mid or topend? Mine's a full race (topend) port so that may have something to do with it. I'll show you want a 350r pipe is supposed to look like :macho
Here's my CPI:

Narly R
06-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Well I rode it today with the Bills and it made a lot of differance! I also ordered a 39mm carb today but I cant wait to see how that goes! Im shure shell rip! How hard is it settin a carb up like do I have to do all the jets, and needles ans what-not?

310Rduner
06-02-2003, 08:20 PM
depending on where you get the carb from, it will come prejetted. how close it is to what you end up with as far as jetting may be close or slightly off.

when i got my carb from ESR it was jetted spot on, and only had to change it slightly.

they should have asked you all sorts of questiond when you ordered it like your setup, elevation and weather so they could jet it.

AndrewRRR
06-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
Well I rode it today with the Bills and it made a lot of differance! I also ordered a 39mm carb today but I cant wait to see how that goes! Im shure shell rip! How hard is it settin a carb up like do I have to do all the jets, and needles ans what-not?

When I got my 40.5mm carb from ESR the jetting was way off. Maybe they thought I was running a 250 still (although you'd need to rev it to 14K to need a carb that big on a 250, lol). I'd start with a 50 pilot, DEJ needle, and a 185 main. When I had the 38mm I ran a 48, DEJ, 180 setup. Now I'm running a 50, DEJ, 200 with the new porting, pipe, and bigger carb.

Narly R
06-04-2003, 05:50 AM
Well I had the guy who built my engine order me a 39mm carb because hes a dealer so I can get them really cheap, so when the carb is here Im going to have him set it up because I dont reall know how to do anything besides the main jet and needle. Im shure he'll do that, but how much differance will a 39mm carb make? Like about how much HP gain will I see?
:confused:

twisted threads
06-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Trust me when I say, the 39mm carb will make a huge difference in your bike over a 36. Once you get a big bore pipe some day it will wake the bike up even more. Lot of my buddys have the CPI pipes they seem to work really well.