PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to know how to hot wire your 400EX?

Minimee
05-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Check out my website..I just made an article on how to start your quad without a key. It just so happened yesterday when I went riding I left my key at home so I decided to make the article.....Hope you like it.
http://haywire.csuhayward.edu/~scarrill/article.html

Elmo on PCP
05-31-2003, 12:34 PM
thx for the article. My friends honda recon key works in my 400ex any one know why?

2002_300_EX
05-31-2003, 12:53 PM
All you have to do is pop off the ignition and connect the wires. At least thats how you do 300s.

400EXRIDER
06-01-2003, 08:28 AM
what are the 2 things you got on the starts the 2 black wires

Minimee
06-01-2003, 02:02 PM
they are alligator clips.

RytM1
06-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mini, you just made it that much easier for people to steal quads now!! At a time when ATV's are being stolen left and right why in the world would you post an article on the internet, helping "would-be" thieves, become actual thieves? Why don't you just post your address, and leave your back door open for them too?

Minimee
06-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Noproblem, i posted the article for people who forget their keys, not for theives. But then again if they are theives then they will do whatever they need to steal you quad. One article on a website will not make your quad get stolen tomorrow.

TRX300X
06-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Locks only stop honest people. If someone wants to steal your ride bad enough they'll get it. Seriously though, most people can figure out how to put 2 wires together to turn the ignition on or in the case of my X disconnect 2 wires. I wouldn't worry about theives being able to hotwire your quad. Usually they'll roll it off. It's a lot quieter that way.

Minimee
06-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TRX300X
Locks only stop honest people. If someone wants to steal your ride bad enough they'll get it. Seriously though, most people can figure out how to put 2 wires together to turn the ignition on or in the case of my X disconnect 2 wires. I wouldn't worry about theives being able to hotwire your quad. Usually they'll roll it off. It's a lot quieter that way.
exactly!

RytM1
06-01-2003, 07:33 PM
I totally agree with that, and in my line of work, I see it every day. And I agree that most will probably be able to figure out which wires to put together, but let's not give the knuckleheads in society more ammunition to work with, and make it that much easier for them once they get it. Its just MHO, that I wouldn't post that kind of information on a website. It's a little more work to do, but make a post telling people that you know how to do it, and if they want to know how, PM them with it. I also know a slick little trick for "breaking in" to Ford Explorers, without the person seeing any signs of it, but I wouldn't post the instructions in a forum like this. I have sent emails or PM's to Explorer owners who want to know how they can safegaurd against that happening to them.

Minimee
06-01-2003, 07:50 PM
thanks for your opinion, but let me say once more that I posted this for people who forget their keys after driving forever to get to their riding location. I mean there are many websites that tell how to do illegal or bad things but this doesnt mean that you will be the victim of these things happening to you. I think its a great tip that all 400ex owners should know even if it means someone might know how to steal their quad. Would you rather drive an hour to get to your riding location and forget your key, sit all day while your buddies ride, or ride with them?

Doibugu2
06-02-2003, 04:38 AM
Being that the ignition on a 400 only has 4 wires and it really only takes 2 of them to start it, I don't think you would have to sit out and watch your buddies ride if you really wanted to.

Also, RtyM1 is a police officier so I think he kind of knows what he's talking about. He knows how a simple post like this which may help some members on those days that they forget there key, may also assist another who has is a criminal and ends up stealing a quad. Get what were trying to say?

toby400ex
06-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
Thanks Mini, you just made it that much easier for people to steal quads now!! At a time when ATV's are being stolen left and right why in the world would you post an article on the internet, helping "would-be" thieves, become actual thieves? Why don't you just post your address, and leave your back door open for them too?
IT doesnt matter if the theifs can start the quad or not, someone i know had their atv in the back of their truck with the tail gate locked, the theifs lifted it out of the truck and stole it. Its as easy as getting a friend and puttin it in neutral, no key needed, hot wiring comes later when the *** wants to ride it.

RytM1
06-02-2003, 08:16 AM
I understand that, as I said. I also know that people who would probably do something like this on a regular basis, already know how to hot wire them. But for those that don't, and may want to mess with one of his buddies, or take someone's quad for a joy-ride, I just don't see why we should make life even the slightest bit more easy for them.

Doug, thanks for understanding.

Mini, I understand where you area coming from, as I've almost been in that spot once. I don't knock you for looking out for the site members, and I never said you shouldn't have done it. I just think you should have gone about it a different way.

Minimee
06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
I understand that, as I said. I also know that people who would probably do something like this on a regular basis, already know how to hot wire them. But for those that don't, and may want to mess with one of his buddies, or take someone's quad for a joy-ride, I just don't see why we should make life even the slightest bit more easy for them.

Doug, thanks for understanding.

Mini, I understand where you area coming from, as I've almost been in that spot once. I don't knock you for looking out for the site members, and I never said you shouldn't have done it. I just think you should have gone about it a different way.
well said, but whats makes you think that people who do want to steal or take friends quads for joy rides wont PM me? I dont see how that way is any better than posting the way on here.

RytM1
06-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Thats where you have to use your judgement. Ask a few questions of the person before you give them the directions. Maybe a few questions that only someone with a 400ex might know. For example, if you have a guy telling you that his 400 is liquid cooled, I probably wouldn't give him the directions.

Anyways, to stop beating a dead horse, what's done is done. Don't sweat it. There are pros and cons to everything, and some valid points have been brought up here. I'm just trying to raise a little awareness about how even the best intentions such as yours, may fuel someone elses bad intentions.

Minimee
06-02-2003, 03:21 PM
ok, have a nice day and be sure to keep your eye on your 400ex, since the chances are much higher someone might hot wire it.

TRX300X
06-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Lock picking sets and those inflatable bags work great for getting into any car. I have a set in my truck. No I don't use them to steal other people stuff, but what I do use them for is if I happen to be somewhere and someone locks their keys in their car I'm more then happy to unlock it for them. For a small fee of $5 for my troubles.

I see where you're comming from with giving out the information. I guess I never looked at it that way.

06-02-2003, 04:49 PM
helping "would-be" thieves, become actual thieves
Good point, and could be just enough to push the ones that were thinking about it.

Then again like was said earlier many just get wheeled away.

Wonder if "quad theft" will ever become part of capital punishment, that would be a deterant.

monkeyboy
06-03-2003, 05:38 AM
i tink all dem carz slapnutz bringgz home and wurks on in da barn is hotted wiredd cuz he'z never got da keeys to dem:ermm: himz maks lots o monees afftr tarin dem partt an seellen da parts ta peepls.;)

infantry317
06-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Get insurance, no problems then. :D

06-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
Get insurance, no problems then. :D

Try to do that here.

first its overly expensive ($200.00+ for liability only is common) and second only a handfull of companies even write ATV's here.

Dont believe it, then go check out some web sites and type in NJ you will learn some interesting ways a ins co tells you to FO.

hondarider2006
06-05-2003, 11:35 PM
I got my 400 stole earlier this year. I bought a new one, thanks now you made it even easier for them to steal this one.........:confused2

Minimee
06-06-2003, 08:30 AM
your welcome

bmw500hp
06-08-2003, 08:39 AM
That info is nice to know but coution should be used in in dispersing it. Maybe a pm wiould be a little better. At least it wont show up on search engines. You might should remove it from the general internet. Doing so may be a mutual compromise. Conspiracy breeds contempt.

4wheelboy
06-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Dont believe it, then go check out some web sites and type in NJ you will learn some interesting ways a ins co tells you to FO.

i no wut ur sayin 440ex4me very hard in nj and dude u should just delete this fourm:rolleyes:

sickmojave
06-10-2003, 03:27 AM
thank you. now hidding the keys from the kids is going to do alot of good :mad:

06-10-2003, 07:10 AM
i dont think anyone will ever steal your mojave unless its a joke

sickmojave
06-10-2003, 07:45 AM
I totally agree:eek2: the second it gets the new crank in it I am trading it in on a 400ex. I am hoping it will be done by friday.that's why I come to your fine site.

MOJAVE= big ol' steamin pile of (well you can tell I don't want to be stuck with it anymore)