PDA

View Full Version : electrical problems

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Well I got my oil tank in today hooked it up and was looking forward to getting it started. I have not ridden my quad since january. Anyways, i figured the battery would be dead since I have not ran it or charged it in 5 monthes. Anyways i get it all set up, turn the key and my neutral light came on, so i thought this is great maybe everything is going to work, i hit the start button and everything cuts out. So I check fuses and double check all my lines to make sure that everything is hooked up correct, and everything is. I put jumper cables on the battery thinking maybe the battery is dead but it still did not power on the lights or give enough current to start it. Fuses are good, all wireds are hooked up correct, and it still wont start, not even with battery cables

What are some other things i should check, i accidentally pulled my starter cover off, but im about 99% sure it got back together correct. Anyone have any ideas , im really wanting to ride.

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 11:04 AM
bump

2002_300_EX
05-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Does it make a weird clicking noise when you hit the starter?

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 11:08 AM
nope, i am not getting anything right now, it is completely dead. It clicked once before on the first time i tried it, and now it is dead.

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 11:39 AM
comeon im really wantin to ride, could the starter be the problem? i just went back over everything and found nothing loose

Basically, what could be wrong if:

I had lights, until i hit the start button and everything cut out.
now i cannot get lights or anything of the sort.
all fuses and wires are tight and connected right

Rip_Tear
05-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Did you jumper cable it right? + to +, - to - . I didn't ride my 400ex since november, and the battery was fine, it took a bit to start cause it had to get gas back flowing though... You are pulling you clutch in? By your gear shifter there is a wire there, just make sure its okay (that is a check for starting...) Turn the lights off so there is more juice for the battery.

IF all else fails, try bump starting it. That is where you get it moving and then put it in gear and let the clutch out. Thats all I can think of.

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 12:05 PM
yeah i k now i jumpercabled it right, im gonna try to bump start it now i had forgotten about that

derekhonda
05-31-2003, 12:24 PM
success ! it started up, however after letting it racking it out for about 3 minutes (the lights did work) it died and the battery would not turn over even a little. Im gonna stick it on a charger for a couple hours and see if that takes care of it.

2002_300_EX
05-31-2003, 12:45 PM
That happened to my 300 and My little solenoid thing was bad. That might be the problem. I Stuck a screwdriver shaft in between the 2 terminals and it fired up.

derekhonda
06-01-2003, 10:42 AM
i put it on the charger for about 6 hours, still nothing, dead as could be, anyone know how to diagnose if its the starter, or silinoid, or something else?

derekhonda
06-01-2003, 12:05 PM
bump

Rip_Tear
06-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Okay, it is the solenoid makes a click sound when you try and fire it up. Hook up the jumpers and see if it does that. Is there juice in the battery(battery fluid)? If its your starter that could be as easy as a loose connection. IF your solenoid clicks its probaly your starter. But I think its your solenoid...

derekhonda
06-01-2003, 01:59 PM
it makes no clicking noise whatsoever. The lights do not come on. The battery has been charged, it still does not work. It does not work with jumper cables on it. All fuses are good. All wires are connected right. IT DOESNT START ELECTRICALLY

It does start, by bump starting it.

Does that give you any more info to help me diagnose this problem, its really agitating.

TheX1992
06-01-2003, 02:27 PM
some batteries are just past the point of no return for charging. try and hook up another battery to it. are you using a car to jump start it? if i remember correctly cars are 12V and atv's are 6V...or am i wrong. try replacing the battery