PDA

View Full Version : A couple pics of my friends "Almost" restored Quadracer

MOFO
01-04-2002, 06:34 AM
I figured I would post a few pics for the Zuki diehards out there.

Its an 86 Quadracer that has been pulled completely apart down to the frame and then put back together to factory spec. The only thing he is waiting for is the front plastic, nose section and his rear shock to come back from the re-build. I cant wait to take this puppy for a spin....

Keep in mind, this thing was completely trashed when he bought it. I'll see if I can get a few "before" photos from his wife...

I have a few more pics if anyone else wants some more...

MOFO
01-04-2002, 06:37 AM
one more pic...

Guy400
01-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Very clean! I'd love to find another '92 and rebuild it. Suzuki finally worked all the problems out of the Racer by then, just in time for them to quit making them:(

Tell your friend whatever he does, don't break that headlight cage. I found out the hard way that a new OEM cage was way more expensive than it should've been. I watched mine get tossed like a graduation cap when my bike went for a 10-over roll.

MOFO
01-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Thats funny you mention that. When he was bringing it home from the guy he bought it from, it fell out of his truck. That headlight assembly got bent in the process. He was able to bend it back, sand blast it and paint it. Turned out pretty good...

eric

stevengates45
01-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Looks like a nice bike. The only Suzuki I have rode was a Quad RUnner 500. How do the Suzuki sport bikes hold up??? :huh They look nice.

400exRacerX
01-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Wow, very clean and looks like it is in good shape. Let us know how it goes.....

Tommy 17
01-04-2002, 09:19 PM
wow hes got alot of toys in that garage.... it looks nice... almost looks like its off the show room ... i like the gold rimz...

MOFO
01-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Yep, this guy loves his toys. He had a 400EX about 1.5 years ago...knighttime is now the owner of it. He sold the 400EX for a Raptor....then he sold that for the Grizzly. Now he has the Quadsport he is working on. His wife has that 250EX and you cant see them in the photo, but his two kids have a quadsport 80 and a sundaro 50. For some reason I see him picking up the Z400 when it comes out too...

Oh BTW for those that dont know, the gold rims are OEM rims. They are a little banged up, but thats why he is keeping them and not going with aftermarket. Wants to keep the OEM look...

Eric

DEAL
01-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Is he running the stock silencer?

Guy400
01-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Eric, do you know if that radiator guard is factory? It's the small aluminum plate with all the holes drilled in it at the base of the radiator. I don't ever remember seeing that on any of my 3 Racers. Not to say it isn't factory, I'm just not be able to remember it.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-05-2002, 03:48 PM
even the john deer is in perfect shape- we paid like too much for our's and the first time out it looked like dirt.....i'd hate to be his cleanin' lady....very specific.....

zilla' i knew a guy that had a the lt500 one fast machine..
well he open it up on a long streight gravel road with a nice turn at the end.... he had brakes had plenty of time to stop but.....
his throttel cable got stuck wide open and loopdey looped up in a oak tree and a few fence post's bent the frame in the shape of a "C" :huh shattered his leg and liked to killed him....
plastic pretty much exploded i was back at the start of the road when he did all this on my old trx70 "long time ago" all you see is "POOF" plasit and dust but... dad took him to the hospital me and a freind came back after the bike took it home gave it a pump kick and a start kick... "RING NING NING NING" still runnin fine....

400exJOE
01-05-2002, 11:48 PM
hey guy660r, mxstar (nick) is selling a '92 quadracer 250 thats almost bone stock in the classified forum. He wants $2000 and he lives near Albany NY. Just thought you'd like to know.;)

MOFO
01-06-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Guy660R
Eric, do you know if that radiator guard is factory? It's the small aluminum plate with all the holes drilled in it at the base of the radiator. I don't ever remember seeing that on any of my 3 Racers. Not to say it isn't factory, I'm just not be able to remember it.

good eyes. ;) We made that one night because the factory guard is not made anymore. His stock guard got damaged when it rolled out of his truck. I think it turned out pretty good....also if you notice he put a belly guard on it. He also had that custom made....he made a template and took it to a shop.

Yes, that is the stock exhaust system (for now :) ) He insists he wants to keep it as stock as possible, but I know him pretty good....once its together and he starts into racing again, its not going to be very stock after that...

The main reason he picked this quad to restore is because he used to race an 86 Quadracer (when he was younger) and its kinda like a classic to him I guess.

Then engine itself was rebuilt..new piston and rings, rebuilt carb and he did put in a set of Boysen (sp?) reeds. We already fired her up in the garage a few nights ago. Sounds very good!

Exciting300...that tractor is a few years old too. Everything this guy owns it in incredible shape. I could eat off of all his equipment...

Eric

MxStar826
01-06-2002, 08:03 PM
hey Guy660R,i have a 1992 lt250r that wasjus rebuild and is in nice condition.check it out,ill sell if for 2400 if your interested.

Guy400
01-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Crimany, don't tempt me:devil

MxStar826
01-06-2002, 08:08 PM
shes a buet?eh?you know you would love ripping past all your friends on a mint lt250r.dont denie it.

01-06-2002, 10:18 PM
How are the shocks on those quadracers? dont like the ones on my 93 230E. I bent my leadlight gaurd and i just bent it back , looks a little weird now.

MOFO
01-07-2002, 05:39 AM
From my understanding, the rear shock is actually a very good shock. All you have to do is revalve it and get a new spring for your weight....after that, theres not much else out there that would be a HUGE improvement. Like all other quads, the fronts are not the best....

Eric

Guy400
01-07-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
From my understanding, the rear shock is actually a very good shock. All you have to do is revalve it and get a new spring for your weight....after that, theres not much else out there that would be a HUGE improvement. Like all other quads, the fronts are not the best....

Eric The rear shock was made by Showa, the company that presently does the 400EX's shocks. I've never heard about who made the fronts but I do know that they bottom much quicker than the rears.

MxStar826
01-07-2002, 06:21 AM
The fronts aren't too bad,but the rear is really nice.They have 5 notches to chose the stiffness.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-15-2002, 12:19 AM
......i forgot who started this post but.....

you gatta get us some after photo's.of the whole bike all the way around when he get's done with it....also..did he have any photo's of the bike when he first got it?????

MOFO
01-15-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by EX-CITING 300
......i forgot who started this post but.....

you gatta get us some after photo's.of the whole bike all the way around when he get's done with it....also..did he have any photo's of the bike when he first got it?????

dont worry, I will have some "after" photos once is 100% done. He is STILL waiting on the front plastic from Suzuki....on back order or something. Next time I am over at his place, I'll get some of the before pics from his wife....

Eric

Guy400
01-15-2002, 06:59 AM
Eric, you happen to know how much factory Zuk plastic is running these days? I remember when I rolled mine and destroyed the rear plastic I went to order factory plastic from my dealer and I remember almost passing out but can't remember what the exact price was. I ended going with Mairer and I regretted that...

MOFO
01-15-2002, 07:03 AM
LOL, you remember correctly. I think he paid around $250 for the rear plastic and almost $220 for the front. We did find a website that is based in AZ that does sell OEM Zuki plastic cheap. Something like $180 for the rear and $160 for the front. I think he is going to buy the stuff from AZ and just take it back to the dealer where he ordered the first stuff and save some $$$. As for the nose piece, I'm not sure how much that is. All I know is Suzuki told the dealer that part is going to take awhile to get...

His wife wasnt too happy when she saw how much the plastic was... :devil

Eric

Guy400
01-15-2002, 07:24 AM
Wow, sometimes I even amaze myself. I thought I remembered it being roughly $475 for that stuff. I'm really going to go out on a limb here, was that place in Arizona either AZ Powersports or Yamaha Suzuki of Arizona? I was referred to both of those places years ago for OEM stuff.

Did you ride your friend's LT before he stripped it down? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the bike once it's back into running shape. I think many people bash the LT's and most have never even ridden them.

MOFO
01-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Guy660R
Wow, sometimes I even amaze myself. I thought I remembered it being roughly $475 for that stuff. I'm really going to go out on a limb here, was that place in Arizona either AZ Powersports or Yamaha Suzuki of Arizona? I was referred to both of those places years ago for OEM stuff.

Did you ride your friend's LT before he stripped it down? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the bike once it's back into running shape. I think many people bash the LT's and most have never even ridden them.

I'll tell you what, I believe you are right about that place in AZ. I'll have to double check later tonight.

I didnt get a chance to take it for a spin because once he got it home, he started to tear it down right away. He was kinda pi$$ed when if fell out of his truck, so he took his frustration out on the quad by pulling it apart.

Hopefully this week he should have his rear shock back....then we can atleast take it for a spin with the front plastic off. I swear, I still have 2 stroke burnt in my nose from the one night we fired her up for the first time after the rebuild. We just sat in the garage and rev'd it a few times too many...LOL. After awhile beer and 2 stroke fumes actually go well with each other.... :D

Eric

01-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Very Clean, Lean, and mean looking. the front looks like a cheese grader.:devil :huh :grr

"BLAHH"300!!
01-15-2002, 04:00 PM
!!!!....shazayum....!!!!

MOFO
01-22-2002, 09:38 AM
Well the rear shock finally came in. We took it out last night for a few quick spins. My god does it run good. The biggest thing I noticed was how "light" it felt. Kinda felt like a little toy that I could just toss around. Its amazing how 80 lbs can make a huge difference!

Eric

Blackguywithouta400
01-22-2002, 10:45 AM
Ive never been a Suzuki fan but im sure for all out quality the John Deere will out last it :D

Two things that never Die John Deere & Honda :D

Thats a great looking quad, its nice to see someone bringing back an old monster. Looks good keep up the good work, i like the stock look. Can u spell SLEEPER ?

Guy400
01-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Eric, I may be picking up my uncle's 1987 LT250R. It's still 100% original (air filter, tires, plastic, motor, everything stock). May snatch it up, weld some gussets in the frame and the ride the thing. Was just reading about the LT's last night and found out that the 1985-1986 models were non-powervalve years but what came as a surprise to me was how good the quality of the shocks really were. They are Showa shocks that have preload, compression AND rebound adjustments. Weighed in at only 324lbs. dry. I think the LT's are much better quads than given credit for.

MOFO
01-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Yep...after riding his last night I can agree with you. These quads are VERY underated as to how well they run and handle. Once he gets his front plastic, I will have to give him a run and see what happens. I've got a gut feeling he's gonna leave me behind. :D

Eric

01-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Eric,

We really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the "just about finished restoration of the 86' LT250 Suzuki" that you posted on here.

You were a VERY big help in this restoration project and we enjoyed those evenings spent tearing it down and putting it back together with your help. The blue frame in the pictures is showing up as a powder blue when in fact it is the Suzuki blue (looks like the seat). When you get time you need to post the before pictures that I gave you so the dramatic difference can be seen!

In response to "the cleaning lady" that keeps all his toys clean......well it is a joint effort.....except for the John Deere...that has my name ALL over it!

In reply to the good price on the plastic.....it was through the place in AZ........ysasports.com....its not listed on the web site but you can get the phone number to call from there.

New handle bars are next (clutch cable is stretched to the max) so he is purchasing lower ones.

No......I have not ridden it yet....but when I do, I will only be riding it in the driveway......I do not want to be responsible for any damage to it! LOL

Thanks again Eric we appreciate all you have done.

His wife and riding companion........I spend alot of time in the back of the pack.....LOL

Honda 250EX........all stock........for now! : )

knighttime
01-24-2002, 12:27 PM
You gotta do a little woods riding with it. That would be great if you roosted Kevin with mud while you were riding his LT250 and he was on the Grizzled Grizzly.

MOFO
01-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Jody, thanks for that response. I'll tell you what.....it was more fun than anything ripping that beast apart then seeing the final outcome. So....whens the next project quad coming?? ;)

That would be a sight to see if you did get a chance to roost him while he was riding his Grizzly...LOL! :D

Eric

01-31-2002, 12:46 PM
Eric and Mike

After some thoughtful consideration (and liking my life the way it is).........Roosting Kev while he is riding his Grizzly and I am riding his Classic Suzuki would no doubt be "Grounds for a Divorce"......so I don't think that I will be doing it. However......ummm....if other riding friends of ours would like to do it......well then.....thats okay by me. LOL

Eric.....get that camera ready! Not only does he now have in his hot little hands his "nose piece".....the NEW front plastic has also arrived! The custom made front bumper (made by Kev...of course) should be done any minute now too! When it is all put together......it will be worth the photos for sure!

Next Quad Project...........................RIDING AND RACING THE CLASSIC SUZUKI!!!!!