PDA

View Full Version : Here it comes, the jetting question.

400exbiggun
05-30-2003, 11:54 AM
ok guys, i have had some help from some people, but any way, i bought my quad with a jet kit. I did not know what sizes. The person that i bought it from was at highter elevation thatn i am. I am at around 700ft above sea level, give or take. I have a Big Gun slipon, and a K&N air filter and outerware. No other motor mods. The plug is BLACK and very rich. I found today it has a 160 main, i don't know about the piolit.
I have heard a 158 main and a 40 piolit, and a 152-155 main w/ 40 piolit.:confused:
Should i move the needle, or just that?
Also how do i know whst size piolit is in ther now?
and lastly how do i change the main? I know how to get to it, and i know what it is.:D

400exbiggun
06-01-2003, 10:02 AM
no one has anything to say????
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT SIZE THE PILOT JET IS????????????

gojk
06-01-2003, 11:58 AM
What kind of jet kit does it have? Are the jet round or octagon <SP?. Either way a 160 is way to big. I would start with a 155 if they are round or a 158 if they are not. Just do plug chops and see when they engine doesn't cut out at WOT. Also the 40 pilot should be fine.

400exbiggun
06-01-2003, 01:46 PM
the jets are round. i just checked, and it has a 38 pilot. Don't you think that is a wierd setup, a 38 pilot and a 160 main? I don't know what type of jets, the pilot has a little demented 4 sided star, or a messed up k on it in front of the 38.

Chef
06-01-2003, 01:53 PM
The messed up K means Keihin. :D

400exbiggun
06-01-2003, 01:55 PM
lars just helped me out, the main does not really effect the start, since it controls 3/4 on up. it has a 38 pilot, and everyone said to go to a 40, and then dropping the needle should help right.
so does this sound good, a 158 main, 40 pilot and dropping the needle one position.
ohh yeah, how do i drop the needle, raise the clip?
where is the clip??:D

lars
06-01-2003, 03:27 PM
just try the needle at the stock position only drop it if the guy u bought it from messed it up and way richend it up just put it at stock position and see how it is with a 158main i think 160 is also way big

lars
06-01-2003, 03:31 PM
heres the deal here guys he got this quad from someone that hade already jetted it with a 160 main and obviously a stock pilot but he says it starts real hard and plug is wet black all he has is a slip on im thinkin who ever jetted it messed with the needle and its floodin when he trys to start it but i know someone will be able to help you theres alot of knowledge-able people here :)

JOEX
06-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Lowering the needle (raising the clip) will make it more lean/less rich. Stock position for the clip is third groove from the top.
I can't explain how to do it on here, I type too slow:rolleyes:
You access the needle from the top of the carb. I think the carb needs to be removed or at least removed from the boots.
I highly suggest using a repair manual;) They are very helpful.

Joe

gojk
06-01-2003, 07:53 PM
If the jets are round then they have the dynojet kit in it. I would change to a 40 pilot and around a 155 MJ(If you still have the jets from the kit).Also the kit comes with a needle so there is no telling where that is at. I had mine, with the dynojet kit, slip on, no choke, and ground headers, at a 155 MJ, 40 pilot, needle was 2nd from top and it ran great. Also if I moved the needle up one more notch it would stuble when you would nail it and it would just die. Dropping the needle fixed that though. In my dynojet instructions it said to use a 165 for where I am and it was way to rich. Also to change the needle pull the plastics then you may or may not need to pull the gas tank, then once you can get to the top of the carb, remove the 3 screws on the top plate, under that you will see the slide and the arm that comtrols it. Pull the screw out of the top of the arm, and the two screws that screw into the bottom of the inside of the slide, pull the slide and you will see the needle hanging out of it. Just pull the C-clip off of the top and put it on the correct notch. Also I put the lock washer on top of the C-clip when i put it together. I don't know where the washer is suppose to go but it worked fine there for me. Now that my book is finished good luck.

400exbiggun
06-02-2003, 12:09 AM
i'll check that out when i get home from work today. Does a dynojet or K&n jet kit come with different size main and pilot jets?

Doibugu2
06-02-2003, 04:31 AM
The dyno jet does not come with the kit. It only has different mains.

I just installed my HMF slipon with the dyno jet kit and I used a 146 main with no mods to my air box, only the K&N filter. I'm also at 800 ft elevation. So I bet you might be still to rich at 155.

400exbiggun
06-02-2003, 08:14 AM
ummm....the clip is in the third from the top, so should i drop it. i should be going to my dealer today if they are still open to get the 40 pilot and the 158 main, and a 155 just in case.

gojk
06-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Remember to take out the adapter if you go back to stock jets. Also you might want to pull the needle and put in a stock needle because alot of people claim that the dynojet needle doesn't work with stock jets too well. I didn't have any probs running that way on mine, but I swithed it out anyway. Also I would try it once you get the jets in and see what it does. If it hesitates I would then drop the needle.

lars
06-02-2003, 09:10 AM
make sure your air/adjustment screw isnt wayoff this may have something to do with it starting hard to. stock is 2and a 1/4 i think out this screw is located on the bottom of the carb :cool:

400exbiggun
06-02-2003, 12:27 PM
what is a adapter????
i will check the air screw now. I just ordered a 155 main and a 158 main and a piolt. WOW these little things are EXPENSIVE. $31.35:eek: :eek:
But they had to order it, so it should be in in three days (yeah right):mad:

gojk
06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
I have one place here that sells jets for 2 dollars a piece and the Honda stealership sells them for 7 dollars. With the dynojet kit it has an adapter that 1. Makes the jet sit lower in the bowl, and 2. Makes the thread change. Just take out the MJ and then there will be a hex type adapter right under it. Pull that. It looks kinda like a stock jet. I know that my friend didn't have his in there and his still ran fine, but my instructions clearly stated to put the adapter in.

400exbiggun
06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
well where the main goes, there is a hex, then another on top of that, then the main. take out the one just below the main.
Am i going to experience a power loss with these new jets, since it is not a dynojet kit, or anything like that.

Also is the screw on the very bottom the air screw, caus if so it was aout far, like 3-4 turns, i put it at 2 1/4 now.
also last thing, i forgot if this makes a difference, i used to be able to totally easily let go of the clutch, no throttle, and it would still idle and move in gear, how to i turn down the idle????(all of this was like this when i bought it):eek2:

Ryan
06-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Your air/fuel screw can also effect your idle. If your air/screw is dialed in right, the idle screw should be on top of the carb. You should be able to get access to it from under the seat. Correct me if im wrong.

Hopefully this might help you out....

Go here: http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=11 For more details on the part numbers.

lars
06-02-2003, 02:24 PM
adj screw:cool:

400exbiggun
06-03-2003, 12:03 AM
thank you, well currently my carb is off my bike waiting for the new jets.........Now with that adapter, there is a small hex, then on on tho of that, then the main, just take off the top hex????
Also is there going to be less power with the new jets??

HEY RYAN, ARE YOU NEAR GREENWOOD LAKE, NY

gojk
06-03-2003, 05:10 AM
That sounds like the adapter. If you pull it and it looks like one of the new jets just alittle shorter than that is it. I don't believe there is anythign between the MJ and needle jet on a stock carb. Also you shouldn't notice any power loss once you put the correct jets in. You will actually feel power gains everywhere when it is correct. There is nuthin better than ridin a dialed in quad.

400exbiggun
06-03-2003, 08:00 AM
thanks alot guys, my 400ex is getting a complete makeover now. New jets, new red douglas rims, new front/rear tires, fixed my blowing fuse problem, fixxing the oil leak also. (then it will be for sale in a year...lol:D )
thanks guys, when the jets come in, i will tell you what the result is:D :D :D :D :D

400exbiggun
06-11-2003, 03:10 PM
ok, guys, got the jets, still waiting on my axle parts, should be here tomorrow. got the quad started, but it won't idle, how do i fix that, and how do i know if my jetting is correct, i have heard run at full throttle for a min. then cut the motor and look at the plug, should i do that???
What other ways????
and so the main jet only has one hex, then the hex shaped main right, because my old main had 2 hex's (i think one was an extention) then the jet??:(