PDA

View Full Version : Attention Prairie 650 riders!

GETSOME
05-30-2003, 11:14 AM
I really want to know how the Prairie 650 does in the dunes-only. I already know it is one quick 4x4 on the dirt. I need some feedback on how well of a duner you think it is. Can it climb steep dunes? Does it do well with or without paddles? Please give me your overall impression of riding the Prairie 650 on sand dunes. I am getting a new bike for the wife, she likes automatics, she wants more power for the sand than her 250EX has to offer, and she wants to stick with an automatic. We go to the dunes a lot but I also want a 4x4 for the winter. Feedback is greatly appreciated.:D

05-30-2003, 11:49 AM
get the kfx700...its automatic & performs THE best in the dunes i think....

RuffRyder400ex
05-30-2003, 01:54 PM
i know someone who has one and rides sand mudd hills dirt trails everything. and its a good machine.

GETSOME
06-01-2003, 04:30 AM
Anyone been to glamis or dumont on a Prairie?

sweet300ex
06-01-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
get the kfx700...its automatic & performs best in the dunes i think....

Brad
06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
ive heard the prarie is about as fast stock as a 300ex but the 300ex would win, so if youve ever taiken a 300ex to the dunes theres a comparison, and the torque on those things are enormus haul my dads truck and trailor, so id guess there is some hill climbing potential:D

newjacksm
06-02-2003, 02:18 PM
im sorry but the praries is just as fast as a Z

Brad
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
i dragged my friends prarie once when my 300ex was stock, and it turns out i won.....hmmmmmm z400?

newjacksm
06-02-2003, 03:05 PM
wow thats the biggest bull **** iv ever heard:eek2:

GETSOME
06-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes, the Prairie is the fastest production 4x4 atv on the planet!

Brad
06-02-2003, 11:31 PM
praris is made by kawisaki right? maybe im thinking on rincon

jmoney45
06-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Brad
praris is made by kawisaki right? maybe im thinking on rincon

you may be. I don't think the rincons are that fast. I've heard the prairies will run with a 400ex in a straight line though. That's pretty good considering they give up a couple hundred pounds.

newjacksm
06-03-2003, 07:16 AM
they keep up with Z's so there either faster or just as fast as an EX

GETSOME
06-03-2003, 08:17 AM
I would kick arse if we could get someone on this thread who actually owns a prairie and could tell us what it will run against.

Flyin#3-1/2
06-04-2003, 08:23 AM
my friend has a prairie and i love it, for a 4x4. but then he switches it to 2x4 and it's even better. it's very good for mudding and trail riding, and i'm pretty sure it would have plenty of power for the sand if it had paddles on it. but i remember that my friend and i were in a sand patch in some of our trails and it still hauled ***** pretty well. i dragged him with my banshee and he isn't that far behind, i think he topped out at almost 70. about 67 or 68 it was. so i'd go with the prairie, very reliable and very fun to ride!!

Sparky416ex
06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
get the kfx700...its automatic & performs THE best in the dunes i think....

i dont know about the best...but it is awesome

GETSOME
06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
I wonder how the Prairie would do in 4x4 on the sand with stock tires vs. in 2x4 on the sand with paddles. Or how about paddles on all four? Any thoughts?

XANDADA
06-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Sorry to butt in on your thread, I don't really have anything related to sand to offer butt.....

Those Prarie 650's are damn impressive! I'll never trash talk another one, I learned my lesson. I was riding with a group of people and two of the guys had 650's. Everytime I would turn around to check on them the one guy was riding my arse. Now I know I'm not the fastest guy in the world but c'mon the thing stood its ground with a 440ex, 416ex, 250r's in the group all wide open in the woods. This guy was the craziest thing I ever saw....bouncing around like he was outa control but the whole time right there with us. I have absolutely no doubt what so ever he would pass a 300ex if he wanted to. He probably could have passed me if it weren't for the straights. If I were going to get a ute, that 650 Prarie would be my first choice.

GETSOME
06-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Big 10-4! Were getting one for the wife because she likes automatics and wants a little more power and I want something with some fender protection for the winter. It gets very muddy in Oregon during the winter.

Flyin#3-1/2
06-05-2003, 12:09 PM
yea! your wife will be very happy with the prairie. very dependable atv, and i love the selectable between 2x4 and 4x4! great for mudding too:D

zroost
06-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by newjacksm
im sorry but the praries is just as fast as a Z Whoever told you that is full of it...My Z tears my friends Fairy oh I meant Prarie apart...Sorry there is no competion there..As far as it beating a 400ex...no way either...get a grip

newjacksm
06-08-2003, 12:58 PM
ehh im sorry i just get my sources from Z400central.com about praries and Z400's ;)

zroost
06-08-2003, 01:34 PM
I get my resources from beating the praire myself..First hand knowledge is the best...

oynot400
06-11-2003, 03:23 AM
I got a buddy that has the 650 Praire. We took it to the Little Sahara in Oklahoma a couple of years back. It got along great in the sand. I do believe that if he had paddles on the rear he would of gotten around better. I rode it and jumped it a little on some of the smaller dunes. It handled pretty well and soaked up the landings. I was jumping it as far as my 440ex, granted I needed a little long run at the dune. I had no problem climbing the larger dunes either.
This year he put in a clutch kit and I think he is planning on getting paddles for it. It is tough to find paddles for the size of rear tire on a utility. The clutch kit really helps it, he doesn't have all the low end power he had before, but for the trail riding that he does, he don't need it.
He is looking the V force 700 right now. Personally I think that it would be a great duner. :D That motor has a lot of potential. I think the ride would be a little better with a-arm set up compaired to the strut on the Praire. I think the Priaire would fine for your wife/girlfriend (which ever one you are taking :eek: )

GOMER007
06-11-2003, 07:57 AM
just get her a scrambler 500 4x4. I had one and that thing would keep up with my eX and beet it:( I mis that beast!

cliq20
06-11-2003, 05:10 PM
the prairie is awesome. it will keep up with the 400ex and will ride well in the woods. takes some getting used to but with its size and power i'll climb any hill and ride with any atv. they are all great quads but the prairie for all around is wonderful. i can ride my wife and i on it and ride in the woods with everyone else and keep up (as long as she leans with me!).

wickedex
06-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey my buddy has a Prairie 650 and it's fast as he!!. NO IT CAN'T HANG WITH MY EX FO SHO!!! but it's fast, he has 28" Dirt Devil's on C-Series rims and it did GREAT in the dunes, it did alot better with them than the other guy did with paddles on the back. BUT...
he has had SOO many problems with it, I'LL NEVER EVER BUY A KAWASUCKI IN MY LIFETIME from the things that's gone wrong with that thing!!! we just got back from LITTLE SAHARA yesterday and he sat at camp from the first day til the last cuz of that thing, he went over a jump and allofa sudden it didn't run right, and he didn't land that hard either, it's like the rev limiter for reverse but it stays on all the time now, and the override button for reverse dont work on reverse either??? so, just thought ya might wanna know that the thing spends more time at the KAWI shop than it does at his house.

cliq20
06-24-2003, 01:02 AM
been running mine hard with my wife and i on it for a year and not a single problem. i'm in the woods not sand though. i'm not sure they were made to be dune riders...but to each his own. i'm personally fond of kawasaki after what i've put this beast through and it runs excellent!!!

KrazyKid300ex
06-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by GETSOME
I wonder how the Prairie would do in 4x4 on the sand with stock tires vs. in 2x4 on the sand with paddles. Or how about paddles on all four? Any thoughts?

i have an idea.... get the prairie and take out then 4x4 or front wheel drive. take out the axles in front and then throw some paddles on all four rims. taking out the axles in front will get it less weight. basicly do what they did to that rincon that won the Baja race.

cliq20
06-24-2003, 08:34 AM
they did that in dirt wheels but they had a special box built by kawasaki that made it scream...too bad we can't get that box too. i guess it rode wheelies around in the sand...

wickedex
06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
hey man that was the first time he ever took it to the dunes. what ya think the Dirt Devils are for??? We've had that thing stuck up to the racks in mud(prolly the problem) but prolly not the problem cuz another guy in town has one that he babies and it's in the shop just as much. AND NO IT STILL CAN'T TOUCH THE EX.

RuffRyder400ex
06-25-2003, 02:11 AM
the prarie is fast!!!!!!!!!!