PDA

View Full Version : made an AIR BOX today

"BLAHH"300!!
05-30-2003, 10:06 AM
check it out man...
..got bored today, called a freind that works with sheet metal
and decided i'd try making my own airbox and air scoops...

i made everything out of cardboard so he could have something to take true messurements from.
.it was a job, but everything turned out great..

SCOOPS..
...were easy...hardest parts was gewttin' em' even...
then i smaked myself in the head and just made a mirror of the best lookin' one....now their even.
hey, the scoops and set at the same angel as the vertical frame rails...is this a good idea?...wouldn't this force air to the ground?
should i make the streight up and down, or should a put a bottom on em'?

AIRBOX..
.. was easy, but a pain making sure everything was just under the exact frame messurements.
.my battery will mount inside...plus all the other electric stuff around there....i don't know if he's ganna weld the edges, or if he'll use rivets, and calk.......i'll have to hack the stock seat latch/air box mount off, so the back will sit flush with the frame...and still be able to use the stock latch...

boot/filter mount...that's the problem...i guess i'll use a piece of PVC or something, and join em' together streight....instead of mounting each seperatly....this will also make it alot tighter....
next problem was making a hole for em'....but my freind says he has some "TOOLrawks) that will cut a perfect circle....

LID...
..i'm ganna use another peice of sheet metal, that will mount onto little "L" brakets around the box....he's ganna use that tool to cut me some holes in just like i have on my stock box..

is there anything i need to know before i send them to him?

....:cool: :blah:

toby400ex
05-30-2003, 12:00 PM
IS this thing steel or aluminum?

QuAdRaCeR244
05-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
IS this thing steel or aluminum?

"BLAHH"300!!
05-30-2003, 01:02 PM
1" thick steel dawg....my ****z indestructable

aluminum man

exriderdude
05-30-2003, 01:12 PM
pics dude:macho

Rip_Tear
05-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Cool, I would also like to see some pics! I want to try the air box myself, I don't know too much about how to direct the air scoopsso I dont know about them.... (If I had an original set I could make duplicates...) Good job!

300exTJjeeper
05-30-2003, 03:36 PM
pic pic pic picpic

QuAdRaCeR244
05-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by exriderdude
pics dude:macho

pics would be nice;)

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-30-2003, 04:52 PM
:D

user101
05-31-2003, 02:44 PM
post pics

"BLAHH"300!!
06-01-2003, 12:35 PM
...gimme time....haha...
i decided to make the back the same angle as the frame reails,
and the front of the scoops streight up and down, i put a bend at the top , and at the bottom...
they run from the top of the vertical rail, to the bottom where the upper horizontal rail startes..
mount at the fender upper, and lower fender brakets, and i'll use a zip tie on the bottom to hold the fron the the frame.

i couldn't catch up with him this weekend, but i should have themby this weekend....

if you have a scanner, i'll take pics, and snail mail them to you...you scan em', and e-mail em' to me and i'll post em'..
when it's complete.

Rip_Tear
06-01-2003, 12:59 PM
It would make more sense for the person to just post them on here, and you could save them from here :D Just a suggestion :D

"BLAHH"300!!
06-01-2003, 02:13 PM
man that's kool too.....as long as i get pics of my bike on here

300exTJjeeper
06-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Send them on my way. and I;ll get them up for ya. Pm me and I;ll give ya my addy.

I really want to see this

e gracie
06-03-2003, 12:14 AM
this may elp i did it months ago.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45597

Jeff
06-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Whats wrong with a plain stock airbox?? I see no point in doing all this work for some "aluminum" airbox and/or paying $$$ for one. It dont help anything, you cant see it, all thats doing is putting extra weight on your quad. If you guys want to make a heavy air box for your quad, go ahead, but I think i'll stick with my light weight plastic air box that does me just fine!

UglyMotha™
06-03-2003, 03:32 AM
wwhhhaaaa :huh

Doibugu2
06-03-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
Whats wrong with a plain stock airbox?? I see no point in doing all this work for some "aluminum" airbox and/or paying $$$ for one. It dont help anything, you cant see it, all thats doing is putting extra weight on your quad. If you guys want to make a heavy air box for your quad, go ahead, but I think i'll stick with my light weight plastic air box that does me just fine!

Mainly they do it to move the electorics from the side of the quad to the inside the air box. Better redistribution of the weight. And like he said he was bored. Would you rather him resort to selling drugs?

Don't you know quads keep kids off drugs?

exriderdude
06-03-2003, 06:02 AM

uh actually aluminum airboxes are lighter than stock....and yes you can see them, and it makes the quad look alot better;)

NTPRacing#19
06-03-2003, 08:28 AM
AND stock airboxes are weak as a toothpick, i broke my stock airbox i think the first month i had the quad from jumping. they are just weaaaak!

DEAL
06-03-2003, 09:11 AM

It moves the battery to the center of the quad thus taking the weight off one side so you don't bend the subframe which is a common problem with 400exs.................
:rolleyes:

"BLAHH"300!!
06-03-2003, 10:24 AM
i' not payin' shh for this box....
..he knows i'll get him back...might buy the beer on our next ride, or somethin' like that..help him with his trike.he might be gettin' a warrior....i already know of a few things i can do to that to make it a little better....it'll come back to him.

acctually i didn't think of the weight part of it...moving the battery was my main objective..really wassn't plannin' on it at all, i just wanted some scoops, and had all that extra carb board...here i am...

took me a while to catch up to him...dropped it all off last night with a note,(2 pages haha)...he's backed up at work, but it'll get done by this weekend prolly....no rush..my fkn motor's STILL not ready.....
..i also dropped off my chain guard....told it was there for kicks, if i felt like it, do it, if not no big deal....prolly won't use one anyway

Fluid400
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Here is my custom alum air box. Def lighter then the stock. has a 1/4 gap from top of box to bottom of seat. Allows more air, more combustion more torq. Also shiny and looks mean

"BLAHH"300!!
06-03-2003, 08:24 PM
seat latch....
...300's have like a1/2" gap between the seat and the box lid.
also, if you notice on the seat latch, there's 2 positions,
you can lift the seat another half inch...or put it at stock position....unless your FAT it won't close all the way when you sit on it....and if it does, put somethin' under it.....
( TIP ).close it before you haul it down the road behind you ride, the wind will blow your seat and fender's off...i had this happen, and lost everything....someone came behind me and picked everything up....

i've been running mine with four 1" holes in the lid, uni filter, rejetted, and with the extra clearance..
..but after i get this box, and run it with no lid, i'll put it back like it's supposed to be....
...if i run it with a lid and holes, i'll keep using that extra clearance.

i don't know if 400's latch is like this or not...i know my buddies 400's seat sits flush on the frame/a-box, i havn't looked at his seat latch though.

thejeepdude
06-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Hey, one of you guys that made your own custom air box... would one of you be willing to gain some more practice and build me one? I can't see spendin 200 bux for one of these things, that's insane! Let me know how much you'd charge. I just need something that fits my battery, electronics, and UNI filter... with a lid. I'd build one myselft but I don't have the bending and cutting tools I would need, and I'm not that great at TIG welding. Let me know if one of you guys interested... thx!

01400ex
06-05-2003, 09:51 AM
heres mine, I go to Lenepe Tech for welding, so I'm pretty good at tig welding aluminum.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pc43bd3e506868ae9d66e6cdf27a408d9/fc037549.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p8e988b93523f7dd94e429cd272411b28/fc037553.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pcc10813632356a3c6c0d0649a835e424/fc03754e.jpg

Later Ryan H.

stiffy
06-05-2003, 11:01 AM
That airbox looks good how much would you charge to make me two of them?

Jeff
06-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Ok well I kinda understand, but I dont get where yall say you can "see" it, cuz I have to bend down to see it and I dont get how alum. is lighter than plastic??

But I understand where it replaces your battery, thats pretty neat.

rdmex
06-05-2003, 12:13 PM
and I dont get how alum. is lighter than plastic??

thats your problem, you dont understand :rolleyes:

Rip_Tear
06-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Seeing all this, is really making me want to make one... What thickness aluminum would you suggest? That looks like 1/8" ?

KAWSAM62
06-08-2003, 02:36 AM
.09 t4 aluminum 110.00 ea plus shipping in stock:D