PDA

View Full Version : ball joint

fly400ex
01-04-2002, 04:48 AM
Has anyone found an easy way to pop the balljoints out of the spindle? I don't want to buy the Honda tool.

RideRed400EX
01-04-2002, 07:05 AM
Use a rubber mallet to tap from the top and bottom to free up the ball joint. DON'T use a hammer, it will beat the hell out of the spindle.

01-04-2002, 07:35 AM
I'd tell ya the way me and a buddy did it on mine but I don't think it's too safe,,nor would I recommend it..:eek: But only one of them give me a problem out of the 4..:confused:

01-05-2002, 03:24 PM
I know this isn't the correct way but, if you loosen up the nut on the ball joint and back it off until it's flush with the end of the threads then hit it solid with a hammer or drift punch it will drive it loose from the taper. Then remove the nut the rest of the way and it's off. You might have to hold the ball joint shaft with needle nose visegrips to get the nut all of the way off. You have to leave the nut on when you drive the end of the shaft or you will bugger up the threads and it won't go back together. Or buy the tool. Hope this helps,Jim.

01-05-2002, 06:25 PM
I have removed ball joints from spindles by turning the castle nuts over, find or make a spacer that fits snugly between the inverted nuts, and then just loosen the nuts, which in effect pressed the ball joint from the spindle. Seems to work well and doesn't mess up the threads. Hope this helps.