PDA

View Full Version : Making the stock suspension better?

thejeepdude
05-30-2003, 09:42 AM
OK, so I know my stock suspension sucks on my 400EX. Whoops are the worst, as the thing just wants to throw me off... mostly because the rear end wants to buck up really bad, even if I keep my weight far back. So my question is, what can I do for cheap or free to make my stock suspension handle a little better until I decide to lay out the cash for some Elkas and Arens A-Arms? I want to do it right the first time, but the pocket book can't handle it right now. I don't want to spend money having a rebuild done on the stock shocks, but if I can adjust them softer or harder, or get a cheap spring, or replace the oil, or do something to at least help for now, that would be great. BTW, I'm about 195 lbs, ride standing up on the aggressive stuff, and am not scared of the throttle until this thing starts bucking like a horse. :rolleyes: Ideas?

QuadTrix6
05-30-2003, 10:07 AM
turn the rebound down on the rear shock. Its on the left side on the bottom and turn it clockwise to clow it down. I would say if it bucking turn abt 1/4 turn and go from there.

thejeepdude
05-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks, I'll start with that. I thought that was preload, though? Is there rebound too? I haven't really looked that closely at it yet... will do when I get home from work today.

aussieex
05-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Suspesion adjustment isnt that hard if you understand it. slowing your rebound down will be fine on the big hits but if you slow it down to much when you hit the whoops if it is to slow it will not have time to fully extend before hitting the next one, this causes the shock to pack up and you end up having decreased suspension travel. There is also a compression adjuster htis contrls the bottoming resistance of the shock , more comp stiffer suspension. You need to play around and find a setting which suits your riding the best.

thejeepdude
05-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Well, I finally got a chance to play with the rebound setting on my stock rear shock and I ended up turning it clockwise about a full turn from where it was. It was amazing the difference it made on the almost vertical 3-4' bump I mess around on in the back yard. It was much easier to keep the nose up a little when gettin air, and previously this little jump really bothered my bad elbow that's still healing, but now it seems to land softer and doesn't hurt at all. I'm still going to play with it but now that I have an idea of what I'm doing it should be easier to get dialed in. Thanks!

P.S. I still can't wait to get a real suspension some day! :)