PDA

View Full Version : GasGas HP300 computer & wiring

AndreS
05-30-2003, 08:14 AM
i'm trying to uderstand what the computer does for me. 1st- since tthe pickup is on the rear axle, if the wheels spin the speedo will be off... what use is that?
2nd- it reads in Km/h, is there any way to make it read in mph?
3rd- i understand the speed indicators & distance calculators, but is it also a run time meter for the engine?

i started investigating seting up the fan to run full time, now i'm looking at it and the rest of the wiring harness and wondering what is actually useful.... seems like a lot of dead weight for anybody that races... or never rides at night.
from what i can tell, two wires come out of the lighting coil, yellow is hot, red is cold(ground)... a third comes out with the other two but was taped back onto the other two at the factory & dead-ends. when it all goes into the harness, yellow remains yellow, but the red wire becomes a yellow w/ green stripes..... so i believe with just a few connectors & short pieces of wire i can wire around all of it & eliminate it all except the fan, kill switch, & ignition system... do i dare it????

i wish i had a real wiring diagram.

AndreS
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
i'm not sure what's going on in the harness but both red and yellow go to ground somehow... i can't figure it out.

AndreS
06-03-2003, 10:50 PM
well i sorted it out today...
following the instructions on the tech section at gasgasatv.com, i have now wired it up so the fan runs off the stator coils instead of the lighting coils. the entire lighting wire harness is off, along with the horn, lights, switch assembly, and dash board. i just needed to make a few pieces of patch wires with solderless terminals so that i didn't have to cut any wires at all.
i can post instructions if anyone wants them.
i plan to remove the lighting coils as well as the fywheel magnets(about 13 oz.)...which should really make it fly! all the stuff is going into a box to be shelved... so i have it in new condition if/when i decide to sell it (if ever.)
i gave up on the computer, never had one before & it's more hassle than it's worth... it came off too.

oynot400
06-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Sorry I have not been on, Deere has been cutting us down on internet usage. :(
Anyway, I don't know of anyway to convert the speedo to mph. That may be a thing that some one can come up with and replace the computer or Gas Gas can make for us in the good ol USA.
The one guy that races Hawkeye Downs has all his unnessary equipment taken off. Head light, computer, dash, brake light and the lock to unlatch the seat. He has some sort of a trigger set up to unhook it. One thing he did that I would not recommend was to take off the air box. In the last race his carb fell off. So the air box gives some support for that.
I had one of the guys over at gasgasatv.com tell me about the lighting coils. I am not ready to do that since I plan on trail riding this some and do some night riding.
Have you had a trouble with your fan relay. I burned up another one the other day. I am going to wire it directly. If I understand it right I need to use the yellow wire? Is this correct?
I have tried to that smackover site. I am having trouble with it. I log in and when I go to post it will not reconize that I am logged in.
Oh well, email me if you have any questions.
Thanks, :)

AndreS
06-05-2003, 09:42 AM
i haven't had a problem wth the relay yet (knock on wood)

i am looking at trimming all the fat i can as well, but will not remove the airbox, it's open enough. i did remove the magnets on the flywheel yesterday, hopefully i'll get a chance to go riding soon to try it out & see if i like it that way. i'm considering the seat latch thing too, but i like the fact that it's locked when i'm at the dunes & it isn't that heavy.

on the wiring:
here's what i did: yellow wire that is taped back onto the wires coming out of the stator i connected directly to the yellow single wire going into the fan solenoid & the fan runs whenever the engine is on...
i tried wiring directly to the fan & then grounding one wire going to the fan, the fan only turned when i revved the motor up.(but it eliminates the solenoid)

i'm not sure which is the better setup of these two.

also, if you want to put that fan thermostat inline just run the yellow wire to one teminal on it & make another to go from its other terminal to the solenoid or the fan with solderless terminals(the thermostat is just a thermal switch.. it's pretty basic)
i will be wiring the thermostat into mine, and adding a Tafta cooler i just need to go buy some heater hose.

in regards to your fan solenoid going out, could it be that the voltage regulator went bad & is causing the solenoid to get more than 12V & melt down?

oynot400
06-05-2003, 04:45 PM
The dealer is getting me an aftermarket voltage regulator. Tim's don't seem to have a problem. The only thing is I don't want to wait another month for the relay. :( I hate to do too much to this quad because I plan on trading it for a 450 this fall or winter, spring at the latest. I want my 4-stroke back....:(

oynot400
06-06-2003, 02:59 AM
When you say the fan solenoid, do you mean the relay? I wonder if I can use a standard relay to get buy for the weekend. :confused:

AndreS
06-06-2003, 11:19 PM
yes that is what i meant to say... fan relay.