PDA

View Full Version : Project completed

Jay300ex
05-30-2003, 08:10 AM
My project for school this year was rebuilding a fourwheeler:huh

Yea okay here are the specifics lol.. A friend from school came to me cause he knew I was taking engine repair classes at school and wanted me to fix his quad. Well, he brought me this.. thing. From what I found out by inspection was.. it is a 1985 Suzuki LT250R Quadracer. I thought it would be fun at first but I found out shortly that these engines are crap!

So I took the engine up to school where I had all the tools and started working on that. The problem would be that, the motor had never been rebuilt in 18 years, and basically was extremely worn out, and a part was locked in the cylinder which was basically locked up, thats why he brought it to me. The crankshaft was also so worn that I could take and wiggle the connecting rod back and fourth ( no not the back and forth that its SUPPOSE to move ;) ) So I bored the cylinder, rebuilt the crank, and that was all set!

Back at home (btw the engine took about 2 weeks to do around lecture and class work) I was working on the chasis. The plastics are really crappy, broken in a ton of places, lots of patches,, and not to mention it was spray painted white with "BOOM AUDIO" sticks on it lol. Anyway, all the frame really needed was rear axle bearings. This proved to be a bigger problem then I thought, because on this model a common defect was that the brake mount clip groove is to weak and breaks easily, which it was. Before I took it apart the rear brakes were so loose on the caliper that it would have been bad if ridden anymore. Not to mention that the tires were not even tightened onto the axle !!

The fix to the carrier was a long shot, a new one costed $300, and they didnt want to pay that, so it was I would do what I could do, if that didnt work, no rear brakes. What I did was I had a kid at school weld a big bulge around where the groove was stripped, and then I took it to a machine shop where another kid machined it to the exact diameter of the other side. Sucess! Saved some big bucks there and it worked perfectly.

I just got the entire machine back together, and basically the only thing wrong with it now is the front rims are so bent that it looks mad freaky when riding it haha.

It was a cool project and I thought I would share with yall, it was a lot of fun :macho . I almost don't want to give it back to him but hey.. my job is done hehe.

Jay

05-30-2003, 08:22 AM
You know quite alot about fourwheelers!. Did you get alot of help or what? That sounds like it would have been fun. You didnt have to pay for anything on it did you?

Jay300ex
05-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
You know quite alot about fourwheelers!. Did you get alot of help or what? That sounds like it would have been fun. You didnt have to pay for anything on it did you?

My instructor at school worked in a shop for years but he knows that I know what I am doing. I didn't have to pay for anything only the kid that owns it did. And I get to keep it for the break in period to ;)

Jay

Ryan300exRider
05-30-2003, 09:16 AM

kabd69667
05-30-2003, 09:22 AM
no, actually it is worth something. jesus i'm sick of these post whores like this kid above me. Keep up the good work Jay....Keep us updated:)

QuAdRaCeR244
05-30-2003, 09:40 AM
sounds like a fun project. i'd like to know more:)

2002_300_EX
05-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Sounds like fun because I had a similar experience but it was a 350 out of an old chevy in my Auto Mechanins class.

But lets see some pics.

sly400ex
05-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Good job man!;)

cool 300ex
05-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey man how long did it take you to do all this stuff?Soounds like alot of work!!!:eek2:

Glow Plug
05-30-2003, 11:51 AM
man i would love it if we could do that in our school but no we have to do gay wood work :mad:

RoadkillerRyan
05-30-2003, 12:18 PM
ya im doing that class next year i will bring in my motor anyday
Nice job

wilkin250r
05-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Man, next time anybody has a project like that, let me know. I'll totally lend my quad to let somebody rebuild, I got no problem paying for all the parts!!!:D

FastByDesign
05-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
man i would love it if we could do that in our school but no we have to do gay wood work :mad:

Ya that is cause of gay Mr.Zalinko, man I hate him:mad:

Jay300ex
05-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey guys I know some pics would be nice. But I don't have a camera to take any right now. Besides whats the point of just seeing the finished product and not the whole process heh. Next one though I will get the pics Cause I know that the school has a digital video recorder, I can even get a little movie of me first starting it probably ;)

Oh, and the entire project took about 2 months. Mostly because we had to get through like 5 chapters and hands-on tests in between, and spring break, and waiting for money and.. yea. But it would have been done sooner granted we had the money QUICK! I am glad it turned out right because it boosts my self esteem in the matters, since I am enrolled to goto AMI next summer for this ( professionally ).

Jay

CHAUNCY
05-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Sounds like fun:macho