PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250R help Please!

DESDAK4
05-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Ok guys I am trying to help my buddy (Killerworm) get his 250R going and we have ran into some problems as we get into the final stages.

First off we can't get any spark. Per the diagram in his manual we seem to be missing a Pulse Generator and the regulator. Can the bike be set up to run with out these, keep in mind this bike has NONE of the factory lighting system or the factory engine stop switch. It just has an after market kill switch.

Second, there are two holes in the motor that let antifreeze out. They are about 6mm hole and one is in the right side of the jug (if you are looking at the front of the bike) and the other is directly under the water pump. They are both threaded hole. What are they?

Killerworm has a thread about this too called something like wiring - the last step.

Any help would be really awsome guys, he has been trying for months to get this thing going.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

XANDADA
05-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Can't help with the electrical :( but the threaded hole in the jug is simply to drain the antifreeze out. Never noticed another one directly under the water pump but it is probably for the same thing. The folks at macdizzy are usually good at electrical stuff. good luck:)

fenix0069
05-30-2003, 03:48 AM
the bottom threaded hole lets all the coolant out and the one on the cylinder lets the coolant out of the top end only (comes in handy when changing head domes).

As for as your ignition....you need to have a stator, a cdi box, and a coil w/plug. Regulator is just for your lighting.

DESDAK4
05-30-2003, 03:51 AM
By any chance do you guys know what size those two screws are, the motor came without them? Also do you know if the CDI hold a charge (capacitance) if so what leads might they be?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

wilkin250r
05-30-2003, 05:02 AM
I don't have the answers to your questions right now, but I have an 86 250r and I may be able to find some of those answers. Give me all the information you can. What mods does the motor have? Is it stock wiring? What color are the leads? What have you tried so far?

CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition, so I would imagine that you should be able to measure capacitance somewhere. Do you have a capacitance meter? It may help with diagnostics, but you don't need to rush out and buy one if you don't have one, I think we can get by without it.

I'm an electrical engineer, and even though I don't know ALL the details of the ignition off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure I can figure out a solution to your problem.

I'll look at my quad tommorrow, and get back with you. If it's important enough, I'll give you my cell number, and we'll try to get some of your problems solved.

First, I would suggest you get a multi-meter and do as many electrical tests as you can. The manual should have a procedure to determine if your CDI is good or not, as well as checking the stator. Have some extra spark plugs handy, and we'll see if we can't get some answers for you this weekend.

Bean
05-30-2003, 01:41 PM
the screw on the jug has a 10mm head im pretty sure, but if the leak on the waterpump is below the actual cover, because there is a screw in the cover to let antifreeze out to, but if it is below this cover, your mechanical seal is leaking

250rpilot
05-30-2003, 02:36 PM
the antifreeze drain screws are 6mmX1.00 screws. MAKE SURE you go to honda and get the little copper gaskets for those screws, or they WILL leak. and yes, there is one in the water pump cover and on the cylinder.

powerslider
05-30-2003, 04:10 PM
You definitely need the pulse generator, it triggers the cdi off the flywheel to fire the coil/spark plug. The regulator is only for the lights, won't affect spark...

Night Prowler
05-31-2003, 08:08 PM
You can't test the CDI box with voltmeter. I have one that is fine because i bought a new thinking that was my problem and it wasn't. I don't have my R anymore so i would part with it .

DeCap27
06-01-2003, 02:08 AM
i think its time to put the thing away for a year or so and restore it.. it took me about 2 years to restore my bike mostly becuase i wasnt makin good money the first year and i was only able to put 3,000$ into it.the second year i got a very high paying job and was able for a bank to trust me and give me a very big loan....:p

second prowd owner of a
fully restored 89 LT500R

DESDAK4
06-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Not being able to restore it is not the problem. He bought this thing in december and it now has a ton of new stuff on it we just can't get spark. This wiring set up had spark when we took it off back in Dec but we jsut can't get it now so we don't know what is going on at all. the bike is basicly completly retored except for the wiring.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

250rpilot
06-01-2003, 05:56 AM
make sure your ground wire is hooked up properly!!!

Night Prowler
06-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Another thing make sure you kick the crap out the bike with the plug out to check for spark when you are testing after any changes because they don't show alot of spark unless you are kicking it over fast.
I thought my CDI box was bad but i still had the original key switch hooked up and that was the problem. ;)
Also have you looked the stator over good , i think there is a little black box that has a pickup/ point that may be bad ?
One of my riding buddies had trouble with a loose coil wire also it just wasn't twisted in good enuff when they put a new spark plug wire on. It would run ok part of the time and then lose spark.
It helps alot when u have a buddy with donor that you can try different parts from until u track it down.

deathman53
06-01-2003, 10:19 AM
that little black pickup box went bad on my 250r, the stator coils are still good though. I put another stator I had in and it ran great once I rejetted it. I hear they lose spark stregnth gradually, after I put the new stator in I was running a 178 main, verses a 170 before. the same thing on my tecate it started to lose spark, nd I had to lean the jetting.

holeshot19
06-01-2003, 11:51 AM
it sounds crazy but true. bet a runing 250 r and start swaping parts.one at a time till u find whats wrong if still cant find it make!!!!!!!!!! sure all ground are clean. especally if frame had been painted . shoot i bought a r one time that had been siting 4 years and replaceded every thing and still no fire the only thing that fixed it was i keep kicking it and started fireing i think i was cause the crank had surface rust on it and wasnt grounding the stater and flywheel:mad:

NDpredator
06-03-2003, 01:18 PM
bump

Bean
06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
it could very well be a kill switch ground wire, or wiring harness ground wire, both of them should be located near the steering stem, clean up the connections and stuff, also try cleaning the coil and stator magnets, maybe you need a wiring harness and sparkplug cap, my cap went bad

06-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Bean
it could very well be a kill switch ground wire, or wiring harness ground wire, both of them should be located near the steering stem, clean up the connections and stuff, also try cleaning the coil and stator magnets, maybe you need a wiring harness and sparkplug cap, my cap went bad
best advice yet