PDA

View Full Version : timing key and cam..

zoom400ex
05-29-2003, 03:33 PM
would a sparks timing key and a top end cam work good together or would it work better witha midrange cam? i am just thinking baout some cheap ways to get the ex ahead of the game...

GNCC#829
05-29-2003, 03:40 PM
I was told scecificly by sparks, dont use their key with any other cam than the stock one, or on an engine with more compresstion. If you do, you will eventually burn a hole in the piston.:(

KillWhitey
05-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Listen to Sparks if that what they tell you then i'd do it they know there quads pretty good:cool:

UglyMotha™
05-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
I was told scecificly by sparks, dont use their key with any other cam than the stock one, or on an engine with more compresstion. If you do, you will eventually burn a hole in the piston.:(

over a 100hrs and still running strong and i do periodically check it and so far there are no signs of that type of distruction ;)

i also know of some people that ran this similar setup for a couple years without problems

GNCC#829
05-30-2003, 03:51 AM
eventually??:confused: :confused: :confused:

UglyMotha™
05-30-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
eventually??:confused: :confused: :confused:

when 8 or 12 years down the road like i said we have successfully ran this setup for almost two years in a buddies quad and we do wot ridding once a week thru out the spring summer and fall months and occasionally during the winter however I wouldn't run the timing key with anything over 11:1 compression the reason you will burn a hole in the top of the piston is due to over heating but when i have my machine running cooler than a stock 400ex i really don't see you buring a hole in the top of the piston like i said been running it for two years and had it apart last month and the piston looked flawless, but take it for what it's worth, these are just my experiences ;)

GNCC#829
05-30-2003, 04:55 AM
If you are running cool, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. :)