PDA

View Full Version : you modify 2 stroke flywheels.

lex luger
05-29-2003, 03:26 PM
i know people that cut their flywheels to make them rev faster(less weight spinning on the crank) or they will do a smaller wheel (lighter even yet) i have never herd of anyone doing this to a 4stroke, sounds like it would be impossible(because of the chain, vavles cam etc.) but has anyone? just wondering

Burden7
05-30-2003, 02:43 AM
Yes, it is possible to lighten a flywheel on a 4 stroke. I have mine lightened on my 452x and it makes a hug difference on accleration. I haven't had any problems with it stalling on me either. I know there are some other people on this site that have lightened their flywheels on their 400ex's.

airheadedduner
05-30-2003, 05:28 AM
I don't hear about lightening 2 stroke flywheels as much as on 4 strokes. You can do it yourself if you have the confidence and you balence it good all the way around. You will loose some bottom though but meh, who cares??

lex luger
05-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I don't hear about lightening 2 stroke flywheels as much as on 4 strokes. You can do it yourself if you have the confidence and you balence it good all the way around. You will loose some bottom though but meh, who cares??

until now, i MIGHT have herd of one guy lightening a 4stroke. every one does it to two. on a two stroke you gain low end. it revs faster also.

airheadedduner
05-31-2003, 05:09 PM
I am pretty sure you loose low end. More weight smooths the powerband and gives low end. At least thats how I know it works on a thumper. I have seen heavier flywheels for the CRF for that purpose. Less weight is less momentum the engine has, so at low RPMs it is more likly to stall.

Diedrich
05-31-2003, 05:54 PM
how do you lighten the flywheel?

AndrewRRR
06-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Yeah you can even buy heavier flywheels for CR250s and CR500's for woods riding to keep them from stalling as much.
I'm pretty sure they lighten them on a lathe or CNC mill but i'm not sure. I am thinking about doing it on my R. They usually just take a few ounces off. A couple of my buddies had it done to their banshees and they rev faster.

Juggalo
06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
rico has his done i believe