PDA

View Full Version : 440 w/o a cam

400exJOE
01-03-2002, 07:37 PM
i am going to put in my 440 very shorty along with a lectron 38mm carb. My Q is that everyone seems to put in an xr400 cam when they do the 440. I would, but the cash flow is running on E.
Anyways, is there any negative to not doing the cam besides not getting all the possible performance? With the stocker, i shouldn't experience any trouble, right? Or... since i'm not riding too muchin the winter, should i just wait till my B-day in early Febuary and get one? Thanks guys

mikeboone
01-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Yeah, you will be fine w/stocker. A higher lift cam would only add a few extra hp--with a 440; a stock bike will still be in the dust:)

crday98
01-04-2002, 12:01 AM
if you are going to do it,do it right.i think a 440 kit w/o a cam is a waste.you are better off going with the kit and a cam instead of the kit and a carb.the carb is something that can wait.you will be fine with proper jetting on the stock carb,plus the carb is a simple bolt on mod,it would make sense to do the cam while you already have the motor apart.of corse, you could just wait until you get some more cash for a cam,you could get one for around $150.

chris29
01-04-2002, 12:33 AM
I got that 38 Lectron carb and it is great except for one thing You have to take it apart all the time and clean it. It has a flat side so if some dust or dirt get into it the slide will stick about half throttle. The carb is awsome though other than that I love it, Just have to keep it mantanded

oynot400
01-04-2002, 08:14 AM
One of the guys I ride with has a 440 with out the cam. He has a little more bottom end than I do but I can out rev him. If you are going to put in a cam sometime soon, then I would wait and do it all at once. ;)