PDA

View Full Version : best pipe for 400ex racing?

01-03-2002, 06:50 PM
what is the best racing pipe for my ex i am looking at the curtis sparks ct racing and yoshimira i have a kn filter jet kit vented air box thinking about 440 or 416 not sure. i need some good feedback a.s.a.p buying pipe next week and motor kit following week any info greatly appreciated

01-03-2002, 07:21 PM
welp if your not worried about noise i'd go with the T.C. racing pipe or the curtis sparks pipe...... i've herd nothing but good things about both of these pipes ..... Warriorman has a tc and says he really likes it so you might be able to get more details from him about it..... just my .02 toby

Tommy 17
01-03-2002, 08:43 PM
can someone give me some info on the curtis sparks pipes whats the differnce between the x-4 and x-6... i am gonna get one soon as i save up the money and i dunno what one to buy... also can u post me some pics bc sparks sites won't get any bigger and they are so small and ic an't see it to good on creechs quad on huevos... thanks a million tommy

01-04-2002, 11:39 AM
I have been told that the X-4 is for low end, and the X-6 is for top end.

01-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Honestly I don't think it matters,,since your only talkin about 3 or 4 HP...I've got a FMF powerbong, and PC4 setup,,and run against all types of pipes and beat most of them and been beat by half of them,,get whatever you think looks good,, and won't piss off the neighbors. IF ya want HP get the motor rebuilt..;)

I"m thinkin about gettin a different pipe setup,,not for more speed but for a different sound...pretty stupid huh,,,but that's my thoughts on pipes,,,your riding skill will determine if you finish 1st or last,,not the pipe you run. But like I said if you wanna race and have a faster bike than the other guys,,modify your stock pipe and bore out the motor.

Mity Mo
01-04-2002, 12:35 PM
Rico hit the nail right on the head. I can beat all pipes out there. Then the next day they can beat me. Its motor work and skill level, not the size of your pipe.:p

JabberJaw
01-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
Its motor work and skill level, not the size of your pipe.:p
That's not what SHE said!

Mity Mo
01-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Okay I will give you that one. I walked right into that mess. Mo:D

Dave400ex
01-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I like my TC Racing Pipe a lot. If your not worried about sound I would get it. I felt gains all through the powerband. Now remember, this is just from me riding it, it`s not from a dyno. I am very happy with my Pipe. I`m glad I got the TC. Now all I need is a TC Motor.

400EX21, The X-4 is for a Stock to a Mild Modified Motor. The X-6 is for a Mild to Wild 465 Big Bore Stuff. Sparks told me he found the X-4 gave a little more bottom end on a stock motor. I know your motor is not stock. I would call and ask him before you buy one. Have you thought about a TC Pipe? You could save a little bit of money.

Tommy 17
01-05-2002, 10:15 AM
nuttin against ur tc pipe but i realy don't like the looks of sumtin that small... i think its to small... i will probably get a x-6 but i will call curtis sparks first and talk to him about what one i should buy...

Dave400ex
01-05-2002, 01:02 PM
I was a little worried about how it would look at first too. I like how it looks now. It`s almost hidden. If somebody would rear end me, my Pipe wouldn`t get smashed. The X-6 will be a very good Pipe.

01-08-2002, 08:14 AM
Warriorman,,after takin my new 416 out this weekend,,,I think you'de be MORE than happy with it,,,a 425 would be a little faster I'm sure,,but man the 416 kit is a torque monstor dude,,I was pullin 3rd gear wheelies on the snow with my stock tires,,the difference can't be exlained,,I'd say go with the 416 kit and have a little more confidence in your cylinder not bein to thin..compared to the 425. HEre what I looked like after my first ride on the 416....:D :D :D

rhandw69
01-08-2002, 09:36 AM
WHere can I find out about any TC products via website??

01-08-2002, 10:06 AM
He has a webpage but not much there still building it,,,tcracingengines.com I think....your only option is to call him..:(

Dave400ex
01-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Rico, I think I will do the 416. I just got done reading your other Post about it. Everybody that has the 416 loves it. I will just tell Tom I want a 416 Piston Kit. He will tell me to do the 425 though if I tell him I want to race XC. I guess I won`t tell him. The TC 416 Piston Kit and XC Cam sound really good right now. I have to get my Suspension done First. I don`t know when I will have the money for my Motor. That would be cool if I could have it done Next Winter. Did you do anything to the Clutch? I was thinking a Hinson Basket, Heavy Duty Springs, and some New Stock Clutch Plates. How does that sound? How much Hotter does it run? I also thought about getting the Pingry Oil Tank. Let me know what you think.

Rhandw69, Rico is right. I would call him. He is a lot of Help. Tom explains stuff very well.

01-09-2002, 07:46 AM
When I started ordering all the motor stuff from Terry at marcums i also tried to order a hinson basket,,yes I said I tryed,,and terry told me I didn't need it. He said the 2001 and on clutches are pretty strong and to just use it till it wears out,,but when it does I'll be goin with a hinson basket and all stock plates,,maybe the 8 plate system hinson recommends..

Scott
01-09-2002, 08:17 AM
TC pipe:

Has anyone other than me noticed that the TC silencer is nothing more than a 4" supertrapp that's cut down? It still says supertrapp on the side of it.

I like TC, don't get me wrong. I think he has an incredible reputation and when it comes time for my bike to have engine work, I'll probably go to him.

Pingry tanks:
A shop near me has had MANY of these brought back in to him with broken welds. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Just a couple questions I had. Not trying to bash anyone's bike or parts.

Mity Mo
01-09-2002, 10:31 AM
On the oil tanks question, it sounds crazy but the ones I have noticed that are broken welds are because of owner error. The rubber was either not put on the tank when replaced on bike or the rubber has worn out and needed to be replaced. What is happening is the oil tank is moving around in the space it was created for and one bone jarring knock ussually puts a tear in the welds. I have had my oil tank for quite some time now and have not had any problems, but I have replaced my rubber bushings twice to keep it that way. Mo

Scott
01-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info Mighty Mo.

So what branch were you in?
Navy myself.

Mity Mo
01-09-2002, 11:05 AM
I was in the Navy also. BM3. I served on the USS Long Beach. A nuke carrying nukes. Over in Gulf from may-nov91

Scott
01-09-2002, 11:28 AM
I was an ET2 Nuke. My intial orders from Prototype were to the Long Beach in March of 91. I recieved a NROTC scholarship and the Command Career Counselor called me in and asked where I wanted to go, to the ship or to college. It took about 0.0002 seconds for me to decide that one!! Hmmm, no women on ships (back then) or lots of women at college.... Let me see..... Guess where I went?

I transferred to Ohio State July 10, 91. Other than on paper, my Navy career ended that day... On paper I was in from May 89 till May 95, then 2 yrs IRR.

Dave400ex
01-09-2002, 02:44 PM
Rico, TC told me to run the stock clutch until it went out too. I will get the Hinson Basket and Stock Plates too. I would like the 8 Plate System, but I think the Hinson Basket, New Plates, and Heavy Duty Springs will work good enough for me.

Scott, yes it is a SuperTrapp Pipe. He does something to it. The Pipe comes with all the SuperTrapp Hardware, but the TC End Cap is much better, and of course louder.

That`s good to hear that the Tank has held up Mity Mo. How much are new Rubber Bushings?

Scott
01-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Warriorman:

The Supertrapp is cut down (I don't know how many inches) and TC has you cut either 5 or 6 inches off the back of your stock headpipe. Or at least that's what he did to 2 of the 400's I ride with.

As for the end cap, there's about a dozen different ones you can get with different designs and from closed to open. My friends both use the open endcap, but they each have a couple to choose from. The endcap, discs, all interchange with all the supertrapp parts.

I guess I wonder if the TC is cheaper or something? If not, why not just buy the supertrapp, cut it, cut the head pipe, buy the open endcap, and poof-ta, it's a TC pipe!

Dave400ex
01-09-2002, 03:01 PM
You cut 5 1/2 inches off your Stock Headpipe. That`s how all of his 400EX Pipes are. I use the Open End Cap too. I have all the Discs, and SuperTrapp Parts too. I won`t ever use them. I`m just going to run the Open End Cap. I don`t think SuperTrapp makes this Pipe anymore. I`m not sure. I would just rather buy the Pipe from TC then do all the Mods to it myself. I like the Pipe Setup a lot. It sounds cool too.

chris29
01-16-2002, 04:31 PM
The TC racing pipe is one of the best pipes you can buy for mx. Yes it it a suppertrapp pipe that has been modified by TC racing. It will give you all the gains you need on a motocross track. The TC motor also works really well with it. I love my TC motor and pipe. TC racing is one of the best four stoke engine builders. But I think you should chose a pipe that your engine buillder or you prefer for your engine. Like the TC pipe will work best with the TC motor just like a CT pipe will work best with the CT motor. You should run the pipe your engine builder recomends for your engine because he is the one building your engine and he will know what is going to work best with your engine set up.

Dave400ex
01-16-2002, 05:31 PM
I agree. Chris, did you buy the TC 416 National Motor Kit, or did you buy all the Motor Parts at different times?

chris29
01-16-2002, 10:33 PM
I had my motor built by Rocky Ridge Racing. They work with TC racing and he had sent my head out to be ported by TC racing. I got the TC mx cam and valve job. I also got the Lectron carb, What TC racing uses on all their motors. So yeah It is the TC racing National pacage. I just had the Piston and every thing put in by Rocky Ridge Racing. You can also order TC racing stuff through them since they are a TC dealer.

Dave400ex
01-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Does Rocky Ridge Racing cost the same as TC? I think I`m just going to get the TC 416 Piston Kit and XC Cam. What do you think of that setup? Should I get anything else or do anything to the Clutch? Thanks.

chris29
01-17-2002, 10:25 PM
yeah they charge about the same, but I think Rocky Ridge might be a little bit cheaper. If you are modifying the engine then you should put a clutch in it. The stock ones are weak. If you want to contact Rocky Ridge then the number is (270)259-9604 ask for Ken Cornwell he will hook ya up with everything you need.

01-18-2002, 08:43 AM
I'd leave the stock clutch in there until it goes out,,,Gabe's been running his stock clutch with the 416 kit for like 3 years I think he said,,in this situation,if it ain't broke don't fix it,,plus your bikes is brand spankin new,,that clutch should be fine. I think you'll be wastin your money,,but it is your money to waste..

Blackguywithouta400
01-18-2002, 12:11 PM
This seems almost like a closed topic TC or nothing? I think some of us read to far into things as for talking to engine builders and such. After talking with someone make sure you take a step back and really think about what they told you. I know many people are going with a 416 over a 425 because the over bore will make the cylinder to thin. Well since we really haven’t had any proven data to back this up its kind of just a thing we cant prove. I mean it always comes down to really thinking stuff out. As for pipes most of us will never ever know what pipe will out perform the other except for a few we just know are junk. Take a look at someone’s signature none of us have the same motor to say the least, we are never jetted the same if we do have the same pipe anyways. I would find a pipe that has a good following and if you like what I looks like then get it, unless you buy 5 pipes and try each one you will never know what your missing. Every motor builder will tell you something different about motor setup what he’s using works the best and so forth, your best information you can get would be to learn how a motor works, and what it takes for a motor to make power. If you believe this but reading car magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft can teach you a lot about MOTORS not just cars but motors in general once you understand the motor and the theories behind it you can apply that to your quad engine. This will help you weed out products that seem to good to be true or have over zealous advertises claims. Most of the parts that we get when we send our motors off to “Engine Builders” are the same as you and I can buy from any parts warehouse except for a few custom past that you pay out you’re ***** for. Before you tear into your engine just try to think about all your options if everyone here did the same thing it would be very boring. So lets all try to take the process of engine building to a new level by learning about engines and what makes power over taking for granted what someone else has told me on the phone. I don’t know if this all makes since but just want to help all achieve the most they can from their quad using the least amount of money and time. Americans tend to feel that the more money we spend on an object the better it may be. When this is proven to be untrue by economists for years. I just see a trend of one person using product and everyone following them because they are popular on the board I really don’t want to sound like a dick or anything because there are a lot of great knowledgeable people participating in this group, I just wanted to just get some gears turning in some peoples heads. (: From a nice standpoint

Dave400ex
01-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Rico, I talked to the Guy I will have put my Engine together and I asked him about the Clutch. I told him what you said about keeping it til it blows, he said it will be fine that way. I will keep the Stock Clutch til it blows. I can`t believe Gabe`s has lasted that long.

What do you think of a TC 416 Piston and XC Cam? This is like your setup with just TC Parts. Is there anything else I need. I was going to get the 416 Piston, XC Cam, Hinson Basket, New Stock Plates, Heavy Duty Springs, and a Pingry Oil Tank. How much hotter does your 416 run? If I don`t get any of the Clutch stuff or the Oil Tank all I would have to buy is the Piston and Cam. It would be around $300 for the Piston and Cam. That`s not bad. Add labor and I have a very powerful motor, right? So what do you think, Piston, Cam, Labor, and is there anything else I need? Thanks.

NJ300ex
01-18-2002, 03:09 PM
You will eventually want a new carb. The fcr is suppose to be really nice.

flying400ex
01-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Dude that blue 400ex on heuvos is Sean Sermini's 400ex no Dana Creech's get it right man!:devil :devil

Tommy 17
01-20-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by flying400ex
Dude that blue 400ex on heuvos is Sean Sermini's 400ex no Dana Creech's get it right man!:devil :devil

what do u mean its sean serminis... if it is o well but in the movie creech rides it so everyone thinks its his...

Dave400ex
01-20-2002, 09:41 AM
NJ300EX, I might get a Carb some time, but TC told me the Stock Carb works good for XC. If I got a Carb I would get the FCR though.

01-21-2002, 06:16 AM
I don't think it's either of their bikes I beleive Nacs racing owns it and the other 400ex's and probably paid to have them all shipped over there...all them boys ride and race 250R's,,,nacs probably forked the bill for shippin the 400ex's over so they could leave their race bikes at home.

Warriorman,,the 416 kit is gonna be more than enough for ya,, 3rd gear has the power of a piped 400ex's 4th gear,,,really. The only other thing I can think of is maybe call Terry at marcums and get some viton valve seals,,they withstand the heat much better and they only cost like $8. Oh and maybe order some air scoops from Tinner,,I'll have some pics of my quad with them mounted on it sometime today in the chassis section..

Heat issue with the 416,,don't really know I've only ridden it like 4 times and it's so cold out right now I really can't tell.

How did the tracks look at haspin???

Dave400ex
01-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Rico, Thanks. This is what I will do, TC 416 Piston, XC Cam, Viton Valve Seals, and if I like how the Scoops look I`ll get some of them. I will wait for the Clutch to go out and then buy all the Clutch stuff. If I get some Scoops I won`t worry about the Heat as much. I`m not going to get the Pingry Oil Tank. Sounds like a Powerful Setup.

Well I only rode one Track. None of the Jumps were that big either. It was a high speed track. There was a couple areas that were really messed up that almost looked like whoops. The one turn was really rutted out. It was a cool track. As for the Woods, man I love those trails. I like the trails way better than the Badlands trails. They are a lot harder. There was a couple hills a 416 would of been nice. I liked the place a lot. After I got mine to run I had fun.

305exracer11
01-23-2002, 12:34 PM
i would go with a Bill's pipe my friend has one on his quad and it has a big power gain

01-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Oh really,,,,your the first person to mention a bills pipe on a 400ex,,,have you rode other 400ex's with different pipes??

Reason I ask is I plan on getting one but want to know more about them,,,hows the sound,,,really loud,,,loud,,about like other pipes???

01-30-2002, 10:09 AM
All open pipes are the same.

02-04-2002, 08:42 PM
rico i have a white bros e series and i think it might also be a good choice for you its a quality pipe and its not bad looking either.it is of course louder than a stock pipe but ive heard other pipes on 400exs and its not that loud happy hunting

400MXer
02-04-2002, 09:22 PM
BAHH, DUNCAN RACING. great pipe, looks awsome.

or, curtis sparks, great pipe looks awsome

and then theres the TC, great, short and LOUD pipe. I think it's the loudest i've heard.

CT makes a good pipe as well.

str400ex
02-06-2002, 07:14 PM
chris can you give me some tips on jetting the electron car im buying a tc stroked 440 friday and he has this carb but doesnt have it installed and i dont have a clue i have the fcr on my other bike thanks shawn

chris29
02-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Don't worry about jetting because the lectron carb has no jets. You can adjust the rich/lean mixture by a niddle found in the float bowl. Turn it right for richer and left for leaner. The carb is a very simple setup and very easy to take apart and put back together. You should have no problem with it. Oh yeah when you get it be sure to knotch out the thumb throttle to get full throttle for the carb or you can buy a yamaha warrior thumb throttle and get full throttle with it. Good luck with it.

305exracer11
02-07-2002, 06:40 PM
the best pipe for racing hands down is a bills pipe!!! there the $hit