PDA

View Full Version : junky pipes

Diedrich
05-28-2003, 06:37 PM
i noticed that alot of the flat track racers have junky pipes on their quads. Cobras and DGs are what i mostly see. why do they run these if they suck? i was just wondering

05-28-2003, 07:20 PM
because they dont suck.........:blah:

sweet300ex
05-29-2003, 12:00 AM
yes they do.........
maybe a noise factor? SO they can hear there quads? im not sure

05-29-2003, 03:34 AM
other than they dont give any performance gains they are an ok pipe i guess. I get mine today from the dealer. I'll do a review for exriders. :cool:

Diedrich
05-30-2003, 07:07 PM
anybody really know?

Elmo on PCP
05-31-2003, 01:39 AM
hard to say man, they have these 10,000 dollar race quads and yet they still run DG and cobra...... possibly because a cobra pipe is almost a stright through no back pressure pipe thus making better top speed?

heavy_d
05-31-2003, 01:57 AM
because there not junk, whats better than straight thru if you still have back pressure, i have a cobra jet on my quadsport and my brother has a dg krome power on his 250x and both add torque and top speed, some pipes just add torque and take away from the top end

05-31-2003, 04:58 AM
i take back my previous post!!!! I just bought a cobra 4-stroke system & it does add power!! I can wheelie easily in 3rd gear & have more top speed...I also like the noise..

heavy_d
05-31-2003, 06:37 AM
they are definitely the best pipes dollar for dollar

Chanman420q
05-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by heavy_d

:huh

Chef
05-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q

They only cost like 100 bucks for a complete system.

Oh, and none of the guys I race with use crappy pipes? All LRD or Big Gun...actually two Big Guns and 3 or 4 LRD's.

KillWhitey
05-31-2003, 10:23 AM
LoL man give me Sparks X-6 any day over those terds, i think that these guys use them cause it's all there sponsors will give them with all of the motor mods and all the other stuff they do to there quads, a pipe is a pipe unless it's a Sparks.. just wish they wouldn't rust easy...LoL:devil:

TheX1992
05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
sponsers wouuld be my guess. you got a nice quad you want as many sponsers as you can get, DG and Cobra would proably be easier to get than say Sparks or LRD. good advertisement? maybe they give them a pretty penny or 2

DeCap27
05-31-2003, 12:00 PM
man ,been awhile since ive been on here..

I think the best pipes for raceing is a LRD and A Paul turner.
THe paul turner i think is the best .ITS awsome for my LT500R..
LRD stop makin the LT500R pipes 2 mounths ago:(
SO i found out from lrd that the Paul TUrner pipes where surpriseingly very good pipes...for perforamance and overall powerband..

U be surprise i was going to race and LRD told me over the phone
that they would sponcer my quad but this was like a year ago ,in fact he brought it up becuase i brought up that i was going to race up here in NEw York state..(where i live)..

BUt things happen and i got better job now where i would not have no time to race it so i just got a 20K loan and did a fully restore
everything is lonstar including the chrome swingarm and the axle of course is a RPM dom...i had lrd do a engine complete racesetup...THEY said that the LT500R engine is so relyable that the only thing i have to look at is the bearings and seals where the water pump is ..every 70 hours.but they will go once or twice a year .i got a over size crank and head mod ect..

PEACE OUT...

http://www.motojoe.com/atv/paulturner/pipes/2strokes.htm

Second Prowd Owner of a
fully restored 89 LT500R..

AtvMxRider
05-31-2003, 12:17 PM

I second that :huh :huh

Ketch
05-31-2003, 07:22 PM
One nobody mentions the FMF Q i half one with no hours on it.
And it's in multiple pieces. :mad: I will try a picture

Diedrich
05-31-2003, 07:29 PM
i hate fmf pipes..nobody around here runs them so they dont even come to mind

Sparky416ex
05-31-2003, 08:30 PM
I have a DG and the quality sucks....it actually cracked in half right as it came out of the motor???:eek2:

But i can tell you one thing...i have put a big gun and a DG on my bike and i would rather have the DG it does give more power...a lot more than stock...and it sounds like a dam harley....ive heard cobras and they just get annoying....but a better breathing cone pipe with good backpressure will always give you good power...i dont care what the rumors are in here....if you dissagree dino your quad with the different pipes and prove your OPPINIONS

by the way i ordered another DG

GNC champion tim farr runs DG if im not mistaken....theres not going to be a huge difference in any aftermarket pipes.

06-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i take back my previous post!!!! I just bought a cobra 4-stroke system & it does add power!! I can wheelie easily in 3rd gear & have more top speed...I also like the noise..

Brad
06-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by heavy_d

< new sparks x-4 full system 280$

HUGE POWER GAINS, and the sound is so awesome

my thought is they might be sponsered by dg, because dg is really easy to be sponsered by and i dunno about cobra, ive heard they are the loudest maybe thats what they are shootin for

well, no because mine is the loudest:devil:

DaveEX7
06-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Chef
All LRD or Big Gun...actually two Big Guns and 3 or 4 LRD's.

Im runnin Big Gun for this season.

fazlo321
06-01-2003, 09:36 AM
i'm runnin' complete pro circuit t-4, i love the sound and the power gains are awesome. I can wheelie in 3rd, But the way it looks pro circuit doesn't get much play here???

Diedrich
06-01-2003, 10:37 AM
i like DG better than cobra. cobra has a terrible sound to it. its loud but doesnt sound good

DaveEX7
06-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Diedrich
i like DG better than cobra. cobra has a terrible sound to it. its loud but doesnt sound good

Same here, I think Cobra is more of a utility pipe then sport.

phatswinn
06-01-2003, 11:15 AM
sponserships?

Chanman420q
06-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Sparky416ex
GNC champion tim farr runs DG if im not mistaken....theres not going to be a huge difference in any aftermarket pipes.

ya if id run DG too if i was paid......... :ermm:

sweet300ex
06-01-2003, 01:12 PM
ya if id run DG too if i was paid......... :ermm:
I wouldnt!

Brad
06-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by sweet300ex
I wouldnt!

i second that,

well maybe if they payed...ALOT +they gave the pipe for free:D

QuadTrix6
06-01-2003, 02:47 PM
im not to familiar with any of those pipes so im not gonna bash or praise them but all i gotta say is for MX sparks X-6 does the trick :devil: :devil:

DaveEX7
06-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
im not to familiar with any of those pipes so im not gonna bash or praise them but all i gotta say is for MX sparks X-6 does the trick :devil: :devil:

Thats what I hear...

badass300ex
06-01-2003, 04:50 PM
I recently put a DG full pipe on my 300 ex and it out performs my old FMF pipe by a long shot and it sounds alot better too. It all depends on what you like. Money doesnt equal performance a $300 pipe might out perform a $700 pipe the name means nothing.

Bud88
06-01-2003, 05:30 PM
one thing i kinda figured is those pipes like tim farrs dg is its built different then the ones you buy wether thats true or not im not sure

Diedrich
06-01-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah i say it is man...they aren't really too bad of a pipe but they are cheaply built..yeah they're $200 but they break and mess up after about 2-3 months..i got a DMC and i love it but i think ima get a TC because ima start racing full time

300exOH
06-02-2003, 02:23 AM
I run a Cobra and it really helped wake up the 300 and it isn't that loud.I don't think a pipe has to be expensive to work well. Which would you rather replace after a big crash? A $500 pipe or a $100 pipe? Just a thought.

06-02-2003, 04:58 AM
do you have the jet or the 4-stroke system...i'v eheard the jet isn't so loud. & the 4 stroke is louder?

300exOH
06-02-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
do you have the jet or the 4-stroke system...i'v eheard the jet isn't so loud. & the 4 stroke is louder?

I have the Cobra Megaphone which is quieter than the Cobra 4 stroke and the Cobra Jet. A friend has the Jet on his 250x and it's much louder than mine. I like the Megaphone's sound and performance MUCH better than stock.:cool:

sly400ex
06-02-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by fazlo321
i'm runnin' complete pro circuit t-4, i love the sound and the power gains are awesome. I can wheelie in 3rd, But the way it looks pro circuit doesn't get much play here???

Look in past threads, the T-4 gets A LOT of respect around here!:D

NTPRacing#19
06-02-2003, 12:23 PM
i have an LRD Fullexhuast and love it, its loud and deep barking growl. ive heard cobra and i think its very loud but annoying loud, sound like an empty can backfiring all the time

Diedrich
06-02-2003, 05:29 PM
yeah thats exactly what they sound like

Bean
06-03-2003, 12:59 AM
im thinking 80% of the people on here buy for names, or what they heard from their mom's sister's grandma's next door neighbor's daughter's ex boyfriend crap. if a pipe works for you, run it, price and name dont mean jack sh*t

06-03-2003, 01:07 AM
I think I would stick with a disc type system like what I have now but poss a diff mfg for everything but flat track use.

The silencer I have (fmf megamax) is one of the original first ones made for the 400ex and has been thru a lot before I ever got it (free and well used lol) and also has been welded many times including this past weekend when it decided to split on the weld just back of the clamp.

With the disc system (any mfg's) you still have the option of adding or removing the discs to dial in the back pressure for your use. I have tried this and there is deff gains in both bottom end and top end by adjusting the amount of discs.

Since I had the chance to run it fully open when the weld broke I can tell you that you cant have it all and with out the back pressure the top end increased noticably, but the bottom end power loss was just as obvious.

So I guess the flat track guys run what was called "junk" because the top end hit is what their after and the open type silencers are free flowing non restrictive types that will enhance the top end, and the loss of bottom end power isnt a prob with this type of racing.

I would have to think that when I look for a new silencer I will most likely go with the Suppertrapp 4" since it not only allows adjustment from the discs, but seems to be the choice of all the engine builders to use or modify as their own. Sure some dont use the disc system (unless you order the spark arrestor) to achieve top hp numbers and increase noise etc but if there all using it or copying it then it must be a good unit.

Chanman420q
06-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I run a Cobra and it really helped wake up the 300 and it isn't that loud.I don't think a pipe has to be expensive to work well. Which would you rather replace after a big crash? A $500 pipe or a $100 pipe? Just a thought.

what would u rather buy, a pipe 1 time for 500, or pay 100 and replace it 5 times and lose riding time because its build like chit.

I have the Cobra Megaphone which is quieter than the Cobra 4 stroke and the Cobra Jet. A friend has the Jet on his 250x and it's much louder than mine. I like the Megaphone's sound and performance MUCH better than stock.:cool:

ya.... over STOCK, what about over LRD, X-6, Hetrick, HMF etc...?

300exOH
06-03-2003, 02:03 AM
If you crash, your overpriced pipes will bend or break just as easily. How many of you are talking about welding your expensive pipes? They don't sound that great to me. Do you really want to put a $500 pipe on a $3000 machine only to roll it down a hill?:blah: :blah: :blah:
You'd spend 1/6 of the total cost of the bike just to gain 1/2 H.P. over a cheap pipe? Sounds like a big waste of cash to me.

06-03-2003, 06:06 AM
If you crash, your overpriced pipes will bend or break just as easily. How many of you are talking about welding your expensive pipes? They don't sound that great to me. Do you really want to put a $500 pipe on a $3000 machine only to roll it down a hill?:blah: :blah: :blah:
You'd spend 1/6 of the total cost of the bike just to gain 1/2 H.P. over a cheap pipe? Sounds like a big waste of cash to me.

OK so I guess we could trash anything rolling the quad off a cliff but there is some merit to your cost or money issue.

I absolutely refuse to dump $500.00 on a pipe period, and when you consider that some builders are getting excelent power numbers with the stk header you have to question changing it for anything but a engine built for top hp numbers only and the use woudlnt require lots of bottom end torque.

Tc has many followers on this site and he (Tom Carlson) has proven that to get the most acceleration (which is what Torque does, not hp) out of built engines the stk header is the way to go. I have to agree with the logic behind this and since I dont race TT etc I see no need for the extra expense.

So yes it does sound like a big waste of cash!!! :D

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 06:10 AM
I dumped $400 for my Big Gun:( .

300exOH
06-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the backup 440EX4me
I just can see spending that much more money for a minimal amount of power. You're right. It's torque that gets you moving not H.P. I got front Works shocks AND a Cobra pipe for $500 and it made more of an improvement than a $500 pipe alone could ever do. To me it's just spending money wisely.
I do agree that there are better quality pipes out there but when budget is an issue you try to make the best of your buck.;)

Diedrich
06-03-2003, 08:04 AM
yeah i see if you're on a budget..mine only cost me $360 new..i've flipped my 4-wheeler down a hill a couple of times no..in fact my 4-wheeler is down to the frame right now from the last wreck..bent an a-arm and tie rod..beat my plastic all to sh*t..pipe was fine though..mines built pretty good and i think it was worth the 360

jay's 300
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
I went w/ the DG, because it was only $150 and I don't think you'll see an extra $100-200 worth of power from other pipes! Plus, it made a big difference in power! Best bang for the buck, IMO :macho

Diedrich
06-03-2003, 08:17 AM
now what i've seen out of the DG's they arent that bad..and dont sound as bad as the cobras

Jekyl_22
06-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Referring to some of the earlier comments about Tim Farr running a DG pipe just because they gave it to him and because they're an easy sponser.... I'm sure that he could get free pipes from any manufacturer. He is the National Champion! Plus, I'm sure that he isn't running a normal DG pipe. He has a CRF450, do they even sell that pipe for a quad? His pipe is probably a lot better than most of, if not all, of ours.

Anyways, how does the DG stack up to other pipes on the ol' dyno? Is it fixed more towards Torque or Horsepower? Any info on DG pipes would be great...

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
Referring to some of the earlier comments about Tim Farr running a DG pipe just because they gave it to him and because they're an easy sponser.... I'm sure that he could get free pipes from any manufacturer. He is the National Champion! Plus, I'm sure that he isn't running a normal DG pipe. He has a CRF450, do they even sell that pipe for a quad? His pipe is probably a lot better than most of, if not all, of ours.

Anyways, how does the DG stack up to other pipes on the ol' dyno? Is it fixed more towards Torque or Horsepower? Any info on DG pipes would be great...

Check the FAQ section, I think Jeff made a post about pipes and how much HP over stock they give for 400s.

Jekyl_22
06-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Thank You:D

DaveEX7
06-03-2003, 09:25 AM
My bad it was Rico who made the post and heres the site that went along with it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17670

quadfamily
06-03-2003, 12:36 PM
does anyone have a relatively small used aftermarket silencer I could adapt to use on my sons TRX90?

killer03_300ex
06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Tim Farr and Doug Gust both run dg pipes most likely modded up to all hell now u tell me if dg even comepairs with LRD Curtis Sparks or even White Brother everyone has their own opinion on them but the tc racing engines still must run better than anything if not i have no clue y Tom Carlson got engine builder of the year wait maybe its bc the people who ride for him im not sure if tim farr or gust ride with his engine but ill tell u one thing that with one of his motors its pretty much ur pick on what exhaust and dg is know to be junk

sbexrider4life
06-03-2003, 02:51 PM
i had a cobra jet system on my 300 ex and the megaphone part snapped in half
it was a cheap pipe that sounded like shizzle
my neighbor thought it sounded like **** even after i repacked it

Diedrich
06-03-2003, 05:38 PM
yeah Tom Carlson does build some awesome engines..cobras all sound like crap

skemp
06-03-2003, 05:55 PM
I heard a Cobra pipe on a 400 last year and couldn't believe how bad it sounded. WOW. I don't know how they are constructed, but to me it honestly sounded like the thing was empty inside.

I spent $400 on my Hetrick's exhaust because I am interested in power, looks, fit, and most of all, quality. DG's are definitely better than Cobra's, but I do believe you get what you pay for.:)

DaveEX7
06-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by skemp
DG's are definitely better than Cobra's, but I do believe you get what you pay for.:)

I agree, If you pay a cheap price, you'll most likely get a cheap pipe.

zoom400ex
06-04-2003, 01:22 PM
if think you can get the same quality out of a 150$ pipe verse a 400$ pipe you are wrong.............if you could then all the companies would be making them to match the dg prices, but guess what they arent because they know the dg are crap and arent worried about the competition:devil:

DaveEX7
06-04-2003, 01:38 PM
The price also shows how much work was put into the pipe...... like the Sparks X-6 is $459, and it is a great pipe, and everyone that has it loves the power gains and it shows that at least some thought went into the construction of the pipe.

Now Cobra is $110-160, barely any power gains, cracks in half, most people that have had is say its a POS and that shows how much work was put into it if it breaks in half.

Brad
06-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
The price also shows how much work was put into the pipe...... like the Sparks X-6 is $459, and it is a great pipe, and everyone that has it loves the power gains and it shows that at least some thought went into the construction of the pipe.

Now Cobra is $110-160, barely any power gains, cracks in half, most people that have had is say its a POS and that shows how much work was put into it if it breaks in half.

BUT, i paid 280 for my new full system x-4 and thats about how much a dg xcellerator costs for a 300ex, and i know for a fact that the sparks rips the dg in half

ROGERS
06-05-2003, 02:43 AM
I run Flowmaster. They are my sponser.:muscle:

06-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85

The cost of manufacturing a product has much less bearing on the selling price than the amount we are willing to pay.

Seen any expensive junk in your dealer? :eek:

Ever wonder how many people oe companies actually make these pipes?

Would you be suprised if most of the popular pipes were made by the same company and just sold under different names with slight changes? :eek2:

Well if you havent then you may be in for a suprise. :uhoh: