PDA

View Full Version : Brake line holders and camber

Guy400
05-28-2003, 02:50 PM
1.) Where do I find some type of holders to fasten my brake lines to the a-arms?

2.) How many degrees of camber should I run? I vaguely remember hearing 2 degrees of negative camber but not exactly sure.

You can see the brake lines just flapping in the wind right now...lmao:D

anywhereEx
05-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Guy talk to Dusty about some ATVfourplay clamps. I think they can still get them. If not they do have a site. Well worth the money... The quad is looking pretty good.

AtvMxRider
05-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I think C&D has the brake line holders Guy. Not sure about the camber.

anywhereEx
05-28-2003, 02:59 PM
beat ya to the punch Jerry:D Guy talk to John Arens about the Camber. I remeber seeing a big response that he did at one time and he layed them out by tire types (flat,rounded tires)

anywhereEx
05-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Found it

[Quote]Jnine
Camber
I agree with you on the 2 or 3 degree setup for rounded tires. The 4 to 5 degree setup is more of a motocross thing and for smaller tires with a flatter profile.

[Quote]Jnine
Toe In
Hello Guys:

I don't know what the person who was posting 1*, or 2* means. I'll calculate the camber for you.

Heres how to do it. Use the carpenters square flat on the floor just like the other person wisely suggested.

The hard part is deciding where to measure on the tire, so I'll give you several locations up from the floor, and hopefully you can get something that is relatively flat to the plane of the edge of the tire and/or rim.

What you need is the little angle between the rim/edge of the tire and a line straight up & down. It would be even easier to measure if you could put something flat against the edge of the tire/rim, and then slide the edge of the square up against it to form the little point at the bottom.

Anyway, for the tables below, measure up from the bottom of the square, which is the little point at the bottom of the tire/rim plane, and then over. Just make sure you are measuring to a consistant point on that wheel/rim plane I have given you several measurements because I didn't know what tire size everyone has, and I rounded off to make it a little easier.

For a 4 degree Angle:
UP 12" - Over 13/16"
UP 14" - Over just under 1"
UP 16" - Over just under 1.25"
UP 18" - Over just over 1.25"

For a 5 degree Angle:
Up 12" - Over 1-1/16"
UP 14" - Over just under 1.25"
UP 16" - Over just over 1.375"
UP 18" - Over 1-9/16"

Hope that helps. Also as far as toe in, I use about 1/4", however at Cannondale some testing was done with zero toe in, and the test guys actually liked it much better. You might want to try that. Even Tim Farr liked it, and he's as good as they come.

OH.. Learn your geometry & Law of Sines. It has a purpose. You can use it to measure camber!

Talk to you later!

Guy400
05-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks for tracking that down for me!

anywhereEx
05-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Anytime. Hope it helps

Pappy
05-28-2003, 03:26 PM
guy...go get a set of 7/8 inch brake line holders from any harley dealer....1/2 the price of anyone else and chrome to boot:D

Dave400ex
05-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah call C&D and order some of the ATV Fourplay clamps. They work and look great. More then likely you will want 2 sets (total 4) since you have aftermarket a-arms...

05-29-2003, 06:01 AM
$25 for brake line holders from meszaro motorsports...

mysticfalcon
05-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Call C+D they have some nice ones that can be powdercoated any color you want by me :)

QuadTrix6
05-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
1.) Where do I find some type of holders to fasten my brake lines to the a-arms?

2.) How many degrees of camber should I run? I vaguely remember hearing 2 degrees of negative camber but not exactly sure.

You can see the brake lines just flapping in the wind right now...lmao:D

what kind of brake lines are those? How much? are they steel braided? and where did u get them? i like the red a lot:D

Doibugu2
05-30-2003, 10:25 AM
Guy, I bought the HMF slip on and seems like a pretty good pipe. But man is that SOB loud. How much do you think the quiet core quiets it down and what abou the loss in power?

I got lucky on my jetting no problems at all, just used the dyno jet instructions and I was good to go.

nacs400ex
05-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeah could you please gimmie some info on those brake lines. how much are they, etc..

Tommy 17
05-30-2003, 11:05 AM
guy i have the same a-arms and i found so far 1/4 inch toe in toe out and 1 1/2 degrees neg camber to work the best...

this is with my old stk tires... i dunno if it will change with my new razrs...

i ran 4 degrees with 1/2 toe in toe out and it was way to darty... this is much better...

it mayb a starting point for u... just use trial and error to get it to what u like...

Guy400
05-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Guy, I bought the HMF slip on and seems like a pretty good pipe. But man is that SOB loud. How much do you think the quiet core quiets it down and what abou the loss in power?

I got lucky on my jetting no problems at all, just used the dyno jet instructions and I was good to go. The q-core quiets it down pretty noticeably. I feel like my EX with the q-core has more bottom-mid than my cousin's bare HMF slip-on but his seems to come on stronger on the upper half of the midrange to the top end. We still haven't raced them to see what the true outcome is.

400ex45
05-31-2003, 12:14 PM
hey i should be getting my ss brake lines real soon i was wondering if anyone has a pic of how they ran there lines up through to the brake lever and what they use for clamps.

QuadTrix6
05-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Yeah could you please gimmie some info on those brake lines. how much are they, etc..

:D

Guy400
05-31-2003, 12:34 PM
I just ran mine through the factory loop right in front of the upper steering stem clamp.

Guy400
05-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Then I used this tab that the factory lines ran through.

400ex45
05-31-2003, 12:55 PM
ok thanks that helped and you can use the clip right by the spindal right? the only one you cant you is the one in the middle of the aarm?

Guy400
05-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Yes, you can use the factory clips down on the spindles. I had a tab off something that I used down between the a-arms. You'll just have to come up with something there unless someone sells a bracket specifically for that.

05-31-2003, 01:15 PM
GUY400 what kind of brakelines are they and how much were they? where did u get them? Thanks

Guy400
05-31-2003, 01:20 PM
They're Galfer +2's in red. I bought them used here locally. A friend of mine bought them but went wound up not using them so I bought them from him. They were brand new, still in the box. I think they go for around $115 at RMATV but call C&D--they could probably do much better than that.

05-31-2003, 01:59 PM
i have +2 housers and stock lines now. I dunno if i should get +2 lines or stock? what do u think? Thanks

Guy400
05-31-2003, 02:02 PM
My first experience with braided stainless steel lines were on my Cannondale and I loved them. Much better feel in the lever and the stopping power was increased as well. The brakes don't feel as mushy with the braided lines cause they can't expand like the stock rubber lines.

RIDER11X
06-02-2003, 03:01 AM
SAVE SOME $$$$$$$$$!!;) For brake line clamps, I buy a piece of colored gas cap vent hose, (or any similar sized hose) and zip ties. I feed the tie through a 1/2" long piece of hose around the A arm back through the hose and connect the tie around the brake line and pull it almost snug. Different color combos of hose and ties can be used to dress it up too. I saw this on some Pro quads before and used the idea. :cool:

Maybe Crazy Honda will see this and post some pics of his.:rolleyes: :D

Crazy Honda
06-02-2003, 04:05 AM
yea it work good and its cheap.rider11x told me about this and then helped me put it together.Thanks:cool: