PDA

View Full Version : Self Saging Shocks with stock rear

Laber400ex
05-28-2003, 07:16 AM
I am thinking about getting some new shocks (tcs or elka) with the self saging springs on them and I don't have enough cash for the rear, also I don't want to send it off and have a lot of down time. So I was wandering if I get the self saging fronts and keep the stock rear if it would stink bug, or the front end will be low. Also I trail ride sometimes to so I want some shocks good for mx and xc. Are the ssd shocks good for fast and sometimes slow trail riding. I live in southern ohio so most of the trails are pretty tight to ride on so wider a arms are not a good choice.

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Not a good setup man, do it right and get all the shocks done...

OCCRA288
05-28-2003, 07:32 AM
Actually you will be fine for a while. I do reccommend getting at least the rear rebuild from one of those companies on your rear to match the fronts. But it doesn't have to be done right away.

remlapr
05-28-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm riding with ssd Elkas on the front and stock rear right now - It does sort of suck, puts more weight forward and I am sort of tall so it is putting more stress on my wrist. Make sure to turn the pre-load on your stocker down if it is still on the original setting, this will help lower the rear some when you sit on it.

wilkin250r
05-29-2003, 07:11 AM
I think the biggest problem would be that your front end would sit lower than your rear. The best setup is obviously to get a new rear shock also, but it sounds like your budget won't permit it. The next best solution would probably be to get a rear lowering linkage (durablue) to lower the rear end. They are like $100, you may find one on ebay a little cheaper, and that will get you by until you can either rebuild your rear shock, or get a new one.

The lowering linkage will soften your rear spring, so it isn't quite as good for MX, but you can probably adjust your preload and compression to get by...

Nausty
05-29-2003, 07:25 AM
if i'm right can't you just adjust the preload on the front shocks to the point where it barely sags? If i were you i'd just do it right the first time and not buy junk your not gonna need later like the durablue lowering device or a elka rear rebuild if its not gonna be good enough for you in the futures and you really want the aftermarket. Personally I had my rear shock rebuilt before I bought new and the performance sucked imo, i didn't have a spare shock, I blew the seals twice and in the end I got the shock I was gonna get in the first place so all in all I had a bunch of problems and I spent more than I would of if I just did it the way I wanted.

I'd just stay stock a while longer or go w/ the front shocks and adjust the preload on the front up and the preload on the rear down and you should be fine.

Doibugu2
05-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Making the front sit higher because you don't have SSD on the rear kind of defeats the purpose of buying new front shocks with SSD.

If you don't have money for the rear right now, you will be okay for a little while. Heck it held up so far till now. Just deal with got and start saving.

Nausty
05-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Making the front sit higher because you don't have SSD on the rear kind of defeats the purpose of buying new front shocks with SSD.

But you get rear later and then just adjust them to sag again.

zfire_28
05-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Im still running a stock rear with my ssd fronts, and I don't think that its a bad set up at all. I can whip around a corner 10 times faster than before. Sure the rear is a little rough in the whoops, and on big jumps, but IMO its still better than stock. I can't wait to see the difference the SSD rear will make.(soon as my pocket-book recovers from the new fronts) I say go ahead and get the fronts now, just make sure to adjust the rear preload a little.

zzbudzz
05-30-2003, 01:39 AM
i just got my tcs w/scs fronts and i still have stock rear .i have the rear shocks locking rings turned all the way up ,so it sits low in the rear .it rides great for now .but i never ridden a quad w/ aftermarket shock all the way around so i have nothing to compare it to:rolleyes: .........but it sure beats the sh*t out of stock fronts any day

southex
05-30-2003, 08:50 AM
i have the elka fronts and stock rear, its like riding a bull (not that i have). the front soaks everything up and the back kicks up! best description i could think of, do the rebuild on the back!

05-30-2003, 09:21 AM
nausty......which way should I turn the front & rear shocks to adjust them so that the preload is better?

Tommy 17
05-30-2003, 10:03 AM
heres mine with ssd fronts and a stk rear...

i love the set up... 100 times better then stk...

Derek
05-30-2003, 11:31 AM
You'll be fine. I run a stock rear right now with PEP ZPS shocks that sag a ton. I love how it handles.

bmw500hp
05-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Same deal here...All of the above....it will be better, will corner better and you will love it...but the improved handling and lowering of the ride height of the front end will serve to exagerate problems with the rear...lowering the preload and working with compression is a quick fix...you will get the $$$$ and get the rear soon cause your arse will remind you:eek2:

RIDER11X
05-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Be careful!!! A friend of mine ran that setup on his 250r till the rear PEP came to match the fronts. He flipped forward on a downhilljump at High Point and snapped his Laeger's stem. The rear preload shot the rear off the ground with more force than the fronts, he said.:eek:

bmw500hp
05-31-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Be careful!!! A friend of mine ran that setup on his 250r till the rear PEP came to match the fronts. He flipped forward on a downhilljump at High Point and snapped his Laeger's stem. The rear preload shot the rear off the ground with more force than the fronts, he said.:eek:

yup its like :eek2: how did that happen?.?.

Chanman420q
05-31-2003, 09:29 AM
just get bigger front tires...