PDA

View Full Version : installing a thumb throttle

nateftbl
05-28-2003, 05:26 AM
well ive had a twist throttle for about a month now and want to go back to the thumb throttle. How do you intall a thumb throttle? thanks for the help

4TraxRider
05-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Put the throttle on, and hook the cale into it. Adjust it so there isn't to much free play and ride. It's pretty self explanitory if you take look at it.

wilkin250r
05-28-2003, 07:53 AM
I would DEFINITLY reccomend getting a new throttle cable. I know on the 86 250R, the top of the carb is part of the entire cable assembly. They are only like $20, and is good insurance. I know people that replace their throttle cable every year because they don't want to take the chance of it sticking WOT.

SO, my recomendation would be: Find a used thumb throttle on ebay, and buy a new throttle cable. Installation isn't difficult, you can figure it out just by pulling the old cable off. If you still don't feel comfortable with that, you can pick up a repair manual for $13 The repair manual is probably a wise investment anyway if you ever plan working on your quad yourself.

AndrewRRR
05-28-2003, 03:28 PM
I don't think you can even use a twist throttle cable on a thumb throttle, the one on my R was too long. The cables are cheap. I got a 89R thumb throttle for like $40 (used) and the cable for $15 I think.