PDA

View Full Version : Is My Clutch Slipping? Help

countypark
05-27-2003, 04:05 PM
My 330EX has what feels like a clutch slipping when i am in the high gears (4th and 5th) and revved out to high rpms. My rev limiter is removed and I run a TC924 cam(woods cam). I replaced the clutch last summer and put in heavy duty springs.

It does not seem to slip at all in the low gears, on steep long hills, or anywhere else where you would think it would, only when revving out in 4th and 5th. Most noticable when I shift from 3rd to 4th.

Is it possible that I am starving for gas at the high end? Or maybe running it lean at the high end. I can't tell from the plug.

I am also running a 400ex carb with a 135 main jet.

TRX_Thumper
05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
when i had that carb on my 300 my motor was all stock and with a 130 it was really really lean id say your lean on the main jet...drop a 140 or 145 in it see if it helps

Diedrich
05-27-2003, 05:29 PM
how do u like the FST 330 kit man? i was thinkin about gettin one

countypark
05-28-2003, 02:25 AM
TRX. I'm going to switch to a 140 today and give it a try.

Died, I like the 330.

Remember the kit only comes with a special wisecoe piston and ring set, a raw sleeve, and a head gasket.

You have to take out your stock sleeve, Machine the jug to accept the new sleeve, put the new sleeve in. Then you have to deck, bore, and hone the new sleeve. If you run a big bore I would suggest a valve job and new springs and to get the most out of it get a new cam and chain and remove your rev limiter. If you get a new cam you need to get heavy duty valve springs. Don't forget about a good pipe and air filter. You will probably want to change your clutch springs also and plates if they are old.

You'll end up spending about 1500 on the job if you can do most of it yourself. If your not a diehard 300 fan (like myself) I would sell the 300 and upgrade to a 400. or spend the money on your shocks. Shocks will make you faster.

countypark
05-28-2003, 02:30 AM
I forgot about this.

The 330 is a ton more torquey then the stock 300.

After building mine I started leaking oil out of the bottom of the crankcase. I found that the engine had small cracks around the rear engine mount which I had to weld up. I've also had problems with the threads in both my head and Jug stripping out which required helicoils to repair. I blame the threads on the engine being a 94 (old) but the cracks are from the built engine.

countypark
05-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Ok I had a 138 main.

Went to a 145 main.

Seems to have eliminated the problem.

Full test tomorrow.