PDA

View Full Version : Looked at my second Hotcam today..

skemp
05-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Well, after about 10 hours on my second Hotcam, I took it out, and guess what? Yep, loose flange. Oh well, I have a brand new cam with a casted on flange ready to go. Hotcams is taking care of the problem though, they are great to deal with. Good to see they are standing behind their product. I got this one as a replacement. I will do the same with this one, so I have two cams, a stage 1 and stage 2
Just thought it was kind of weird that this happened twice to me. :devil:

toby400ex
05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
IM not sure if you should be happy or mad:huh

Str8Wicked
05-28-2003, 06:41 AM
as long as they are dealing with it I don't see a problem....

If they are being diccs than fucc them....

Doibugu2
05-28-2003, 07:00 AM
HHHhhhhhmmmmmm

the yella yeti
05-28-2003, 11:02 AM
hey skemp-
What did hotcams say they were doing about the problem. I'm considering buying a stage 2, but I keep hearing about problems with them. If I buy one in a couple weeks, is it gonnabe fixed?
Thanks for the info man.

monkeyboy
05-28-2003, 12:00 PM
sond likk a nudder POS ta me :ermm: :mad:

AtvMxRider
05-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey Monkeynutz where ya been?

monkeyboy
05-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Hey Monkeynutz where ya been?

in truble :(

skemp
05-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Well, as of a couple months ago, they have redesigned the cams so that the flange will not come loose, they are casted onto the cam. Go for it if you want one, but MAKE SURE you ask the place you buy it from whether it is one of the new cams or an old one. If you ask me, since it happened to one person (me) twice, most of the old cams had this problem. Hotcams, Inc is doing a great job of standing behind their product though. It sucks they couldn't have figured out the problem before they sent out all the cams, but they are fixing their mistake, and I can't really complain.

When I took the valve cover off, I seriously knew it was going to be loose, so I wasn't surprised, therefore nor was I mad. :D

L.Vegas400
06-01-2003, 01:43 PM
i wonder if they would trade out a brand new never installed old one for one with a flange? who did you talk to and phone #.

2qk4u
06-01-2003, 04:12 PM
i can tell you right now that they will not swap out a new old one for a new style one, because i just called them the other day. they said if you find something wrong with yours then they will replace it. well i was thinking andf was getting kinda pissed about this ordeal so i called them and explained to them that i dont want to tear back into my engine just to see if everything is ok 10-20 hours down the rode and if i couldnt do it i would have tyo pay someone to do it and whos goingf to have to pay for all of this, I will, so they said if i want i can mail it back to them and i pay the ship[ping and they will check it out for any problems and i said how are you going to check it and they said they would press a flange on it just to check it and then press it back off and ship it back to me if everything was ok. well you think about it and the small splines that are on that cam and you press a gear on it and then back off and then back on after i get it back. that cannot be good on the cam, and you know that they will not find anything wrong with mine, so i just decided for now to just put it in and run it and if it comes loose i guess i will just call them up and they will take care of it.
i was just trying to prevent from tearing back into my engine down the rode to either check the flange or swap the cam out, but to answer your question, they wont just trade you, unless you have a problem with it. they told me that if you press it on and it goes on easy then theres a problem. thats when they said you would see the problem. well all the problems ive been seeing on here is later down the rode. thats when i dont want to have my problems.

L.Vegas400
06-01-2003, 04:58 PM
i wonder if the flange does come loose and tear up somthing else, who would pay for the other broke stuff. would HC be willing to pay for what their cam messed up, or would they look at it like they didnt install it so its not their falt. one more thing, can a person send them the cam and flange and have them press it on, so if it does damage they are partly liable?

06-02-2003, 03:01 AM

UglyMotha™
06-02-2003, 03:42 AM
there was sombody on here that had his motor gernade and was sending to hotcams to look at to decide whether or not it was there fault but i dunno whatever come of it or even if he's still here:confused:

2qk4u
06-02-2003, 06:54 AM
all i know is they wont replace mine unless they find something wrong with it. im not going to waste my time sending it to them right now. they will just send it back to me saying it was good anyway

UglyMotha™
06-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by 2qk4u
all i know is they wont replace mine unless they find something wrong with it. im not going to waste my time sending it to them right now. they will just send it back to me saying it was good anyway

i dunno if i would worry about it i got one of there cams after they fixed the problem and got about 200 hrs on my machine and it's still tighter than............... well lets just say it's still tight:p

2qk4u
06-02-2003, 09:44 AM
so uglymotha, do you have one of the cams with the flange already on it or the one that you have to press your old one on?

UglyMotha™
06-02-2003, 09:51 AM
i've got one that i had to press the flange on but i had to wait 3 months do get the pos cause they had to correct the problem of the loose flanges

L.Vegas400
06-02-2003, 03:57 PM
is there a fool proof way to know at what position to press it on, or do you have to line the cam up with the motor at TDC all valves closed and then the sprocket lines level with the head and then the flange to the sprocket?

Ex_Rider43
06-02-2003, 04:19 PM
ohhh **** my motor problem is maybe that. did your motor sounds like the valves were all loose??? mine is doing it.

ohh nooo:confused2 :ermm: :(

06-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
is there a fool proof way to know at what position to press it on, or do you have to line the cam up with the motor at TDC all valves closed and then the sprocket lines level with the head and then the flange to the sprocket?

Sure is, and its the same as the stocker. Just line up the offset splines.

I am sure you could have someone with experience measure the spline od and HC could then adise on the status etc. but were talking a very small difference in the od so its got to be exact measurements.

BTW from what I have been told there shouldnt be any of the "old" cams around anymore, but I guess some of the smaller dealers could still have one etc.

If anyone presses the flange on with little effort then I would be suspect that its not one of the newer ones, but not all the "old" ones had problems either.

L.Vegas400
06-02-2003, 10:16 PM
i havnt checked, but from glance i didnt see the different splines. most things like this have a larger spline, but i guess i missed it. hmm

F-16Guy
06-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
i havnt checked, but from glance i didnt see the different splines. most things like this have a larger spline, but i guess i missed it. hmm
There's a dot (index mark) on the end of the cam, and a gap on the splines of the flange where the one wide spline from the stock cam went. Those two should be lined up.