PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

RideRed400EX
01-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have some prices on powdercoating? I'm casing a few places but I need some point of reference.

01-03-2002, 02:50 PM
East Coast Powdercoating in West Virginia about a half hour ride from where i live charged me 159 dollars for my frame and subframe.

Stevo
01-03-2002, 04:17 PM
When you get your frame powdercoated, do you have to pull the motor and everything off? I'm gonna get mine done maybe and i;'m just wondering

JEFF8400EX
01-03-2002, 04:41 PM
yes you need to take everthing off the frame it needs to be bare

beast_21545 did they do all the sand blasting of the frame and prep it or did you?

01-03-2002, 06:08 PM
i took everything off my frame down to just the bare frame. THen i put bolts in all the holes so that they wouldnt be filled with the powdercoating. The guy there told me i didnt need to do this cause he did it before he painted it to. Also they sand blasted it and everything, i just took all the parts off.

JEFF8400EX
01-03-2002, 07:39 PM
wheres this place located at ?

400exRacerX
01-03-2002, 07:49 PM
I got mine powdercoated and gussetted for $190 out of a place in Northern NJ. You need to get everything off the frame, there cannot be one part on it, it needs to be bare naked. The $190 includes everything, I just take it apart and give it to them and they did the works from sand blasting to gussetting. I got a great deal on it. The only thing that I had to do was buy 3 metric taps to get all the powercoat out of the threads.....no biggie just took me a extra 5 minutes.

RideRed400EX
01-04-2002, 06:56 AM
Those are wicked good deals! I checked with a Harley shop and they wanted $350.00 for the frame, sub-frame & A-arms. They also said it could be more when I actually bring it in. What color did you get? I'm thinking charcoal or black.

Lasher
01-04-2002, 09:42 AM
I got mine done at Plas Tec Coatings (860) 289-6029 located in South Windsor CT.

Actually I have had it done a few times there. It cost me $250 for the frame, swingarm and a-arms. I had it done in a dark blue color, with a blue glitter clear coat.

First time I had it done they did a pretty good job. Then over the course of the season my frame cracked. So I had it gussetted by a local harley shop (showed them exactly where and how) and brought the frame back to get coated.

Went to pick it up and it was the wrong color blue. Brought it back and had them redo it. Went to pick it up and they used a silver glitter instead of blue. Brought it back again. This time the owner was not too happy but after telling him that I wanted what I order, he made the correction. The guy that messed up would have to pay for the repair work. Luckily they were able to just shoot it with the blue glitter clear coat over the top and make it look similar to what I had originally.

Over I was happy with the service of the owner. But there are other places in MA that will do it. Look in the yellow pages under coatings and call around.

JabberJaw
01-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by RideRed400EX
Does anyone have some prices on powdercoating? I'm casing a few places but I need some point of reference.

Try Winchell's Donuts! I here they use powder coating. And if you are casing a few places, maybe you should get some new shocks too.