PDA

View Full Version : MSR raptor clutch lever question...

thejeepdude
05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
I ordered an MSR Raptor clutch lever and mount today from rocky mountain. However, they stopped my order because they said this lever is 'for motorcycles only' and didn't want me to get the wrong part. How the heck could that be? Is that because it doesn't have the parking brake hardware? I've seen others running in on their 400ex. Is there something special they had to modify to make it work? I am thinking I'm just going to tell them to go ahead and I'll risk the incompatibility... I'm sure it can't be anything special... :confused: or I hope... that lever looks pretty sweet to me.

Thanks,
Josh

4TraxRider
05-27-2003, 01:28 PM
They work fine. It'll bolt right up, just need to get rid of the p brake.

quader400
05-27-2003, 01:36 PM
yea i have one. i just ordered the raptor one took off my p brake and it worked fine.

thejeepdude
05-27-2003, 01:45 PM
that's what i was hoping! thanks guys! :D

remlapr
05-27-2003, 03:13 PM
I have read of some people having problems with fraying their cable with that perch, but I think it just has to do with the way you route it?? Not sure - you may want to do some searches...

Juggalo
05-27-2003, 03:21 PM
mine has been workin for a long time now and i love it!

thejeepdude
05-27-2003, 03:22 PM
I'll be careful to make sure the cable is routed well...

Braff1
05-27-2003, 04:22 PM
I have had my raptor perch and lever for a year now. I am still on the stock 1999 factory clutch cable and still no fraying. When you put the perch and lever on 1)make sure the adjuster screw is not with the open areafacing out. the edges will fray the cable. 2) The adjuster pivots. Make sure that cable runs straight into the perch. When you put it on you should see what I am talking about.

2K1 300EX
05-27-2003, 04:44 PM
How much do these cost and where could I get one, how much does the shorty lever cost?

Juggalo
05-27-2003, 04:45 PM
i have a shorty. i got it from rocky mountain and it was 30 bucks if i remember right. i love it

user101
05-27-2003, 05:10 PM
i wasnt to satisfied with mine. last month the adjuster seized up and i had to take it completly apart and replace the adjuster. the copper bushing on the lever is completly gone on one side. other than that it has been fine.ive neverheard of the cable fraying before.

2K1 300EX
05-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i have a shorty. i got it from rocky mountain and it was 30 bucks if i remember right. i love it

Do I need the whole kit or just the replacement lever? Do you have the one made for the 300ex or do you have a raptor one?

shamisc
05-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo

I've got one! The perch shorty lever and all! Send me $20 and it's yours!! shamisc@yahoo.com if you're interested!;)

Sportrax10
05-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by 2K1 300EX
Do I need the whole kit or just the replacement lever? Do you have the one made for the 300ex or do you have a raptor one?
By Raptor, they dont mean Yamaha Raptor. Its just the name of that lever. None are made for quads, but with a Parking brake block off they work fine for quads. Theres two choises, shorty or standard. I got standard because I wanted it to be comfortable and easy to grab and not miss.

2K1 300EX
05-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I've got one! The perch shorty lever and all! Send me $20 and it's yours!! shamisc@yahoo.com if you're interested!;)

What color is it? I am wanting a red or yellow but prefer a yellow.

thejeepdude
06-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Just an update... I ordered the lever, I just took my first ride with it yesterday. AWESOME! I love the feel better than stock, the parking brake crap is gone, and it only took 5 minutes to install! It has 3 holes you can anchor the cable in. I used the middle one and it feels just about right to me. Oh yeah, by the way it apparenty comes with the easy adjuster now! Instead of the round knurled knob, it had the larger 4 point star shaped knob that's really easy to turn! Just wanted to post the follow up in case someone was researching this and wondered if it would work.... GO FOR IT!! :cool:

quader400
06-03-2003, 12:23 PM
you should put it in the farthest one back closest to the bars my freinds have fryed they cables when they put them in the other two holes and mine has been fine ever since i bought it. and now they put it in that one and it works fine.

DoctorRags
06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I also have one of these clutch levers and it's awesome. All my friends run the same lever and have never had problems. I have the clutch cable in the closet slot because it is also the easiest pull in this location. I have never heard of anyone fraying a clutch cable, but everyones bike is a little different. I would recommend this clutch lever and perch to anyone. I also prefer the shorty lever (just personal preference though).

fmf400ex
06-03-2003, 03:41 PM
I am going to order just the msr thumb adjustable clutch bracket from rockymountain. It says it works with the stock lever and does this work just as good as if you bought the whole set?

thejeepdude
06-03-2003, 05:35 PM
I dunno about the bracket with stock lever... part of what I like so much about the raptor is the lever. This lever only works with the raptor kit and you can't buy them seperately. The whole thing was like $34 bucks, well worth it IMO.

fmf400ex
06-04-2003, 12:38 AM
yeah i think i am just going to get the whole raptor kit then w/ the lever.