PDA

View Full Version : Illumination!!!!!!!!!!

flaneledholes
05-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi all, I was wondering about some lights.... I want to have 3 plain red bulbs mounted throughout my bike, but I dont know which wire I need to splice into to get them to work??? I mean, if I buy 3 bulbs, and I decide to stick 2 on the airbox, and one under the hood, how can I go about mounting them??? Can I just hook them up to my battery ( I know I can, but serious battery drainage is what I am thinking)??? And what can I use for wire?? I know where to go to pick all of this up (wally world or NAPA)... Thank you for all your help.

P.S: If I wanted to go the strobe way, where can I get these? And how do I mount these?

flaneledholes
05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
DAMN!!!!!! I posted this like 10 min. ago, and it is at the bottom of the forum!!!!

BUMP!:)

Taco
05-27-2003, 01:39 PM
What kind of lights are we talking about running?

RytM1
05-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Flaneled, I hooked up some strobes to my sportbike a while back. I wired them up to a toggle switch, but have recently changed that to a push-button switch. I also wired up one of those indicator lights by my gauges so that I know when the lights are on. It was a simple wiring job. Black wire gets grounded, red wire (with inline fuse) to the positive battery terminal. It doesn't draw a lot of juice, but I try not to run them too long when the bike is not running. I used strobes similar to the ones that StreetGlow sells. http://www.streetglow.com/site/auto5.htm . I used the regular strobe under the tail, and the headlight strobes in the air intake ducts.

flaneledholes
05-27-2003, 02:15 PM
ok, so when I go to NAPA, my shopping list will be:
1 toggle switch
3 red bulbs

and that will be it? nothing more than just wiring them up after that?

And the lights I am talking about are just plain and simple head light bulbs (you can pick them up anywhere from the dollar store to a full blown headlight store)... They are just headlight bulbs with red tint (or blue green, or what ever color you want)...

PS: how do I go about a toggle switch and wiring it up, what and all is involved?

Taco
05-27-2003, 02:18 PM
holy testicle tuesday!!!! Just get some lil LED bulbs off of ebay. They are perfect for what you want and they will only use a fraction of the power.

flaneledholes
05-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Taco
holy testicle tuesday!!!! Just get some lil LED bulbs off of ebay. They are perfect for what you want and they will only use a fraction of the power.

LMFAO!!! Well, you have got to remeber, shipping charges will get me in the long run!:) But I will look into it, and thank you for your post... If I dont find the LED's there, I will look around at my car audio dealer, they have all kinds of little gidgets and gadgets like that!:D

killed300ex
05-27-2003, 02:46 PM
yes i would worry about batterie drainage that could be a major problem
killed

RytM1
05-27-2003, 02:52 PM
True. Depending on what effect you are looking for, places like Auto Zone sell the 3-packs of LED's for like $10. Trying to wire up 3 regular bulbs means that you will have to mount sockets for them, etc. The LED's will take up a whole heck of a lot less room, will hold up better, and mounting them only requires you to drill a small hole. As far as wiring up the switch goes, tie in all of the lights red wires in to one prong of the switch, and from the other prong, run a wire to the battery (remember to wire in an inline fuse!) Then take all of the lights ground wires, and tie them in together at a ground. Where you mount the switch is up to you. I would go with a metal switch instead of a plastic one for durability purposes. Just drill a hole in the plastic, push the switch through it, and screw on the locking ring.

flaneledholes
05-27-2003, 02:53 PM
I once heard that you can splice into the head light wires??? I dunno, I wouldnt mind doing that for 1 or maybe 2 bulbs? but will I still have my head lights???? No head lights in the dark with only kool red glowing bulbs= wreck waiting to happen!:D

RytM1
05-27-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm sure you could tie into them, but I have never tried it. This will operate the lights off of the stock witch. LED's are said to actually draw less juice than a regular bulb, so that may be the way to go if you want to have them on all the time. What look are you trying to go for? You may also be able to mount the LED's inside the stock headllight housings.