PDA

View Full Version : Which pipe has the best HP gain?

freakystone
01-03-2002, 06:34 AM
I am a bit disappointed. I open the White brothers R-Series I got for Christmas and read the instructions only to find that the published dyno results they show only increased 2 HP and that was with rejetting and no air box lid. I must has received replies from 10 people saying how great they were. I was atleast 5 HP gain from a pipe. What pipe does that? A WB E-series Pro?

MOFO
01-03-2002, 07:05 AM
well, first of all...if you posted this in the PROPER forum, you might get some answers.

sorry to burst your bubble...but you are LUCKY if you get 1-1.5hp out of a complete pipe. Dont believe me? Take your quad down to a private dyno....

Eric

brink400
01-03-2002, 07:59 AM
I think its funny that CT claims that its pipe gives the Raptor 30 more hp just by bolting the pipe/muffler on...

Sandragggen
01-03-2002, 09:12 AM
In my oppinion..aftermarket pipes are over rated. They make your quad sound like there is more power. I got sucked into the pipe mod thing to. My first mod was a WB R4 slip on and found the same thing you did about the hp thing. I'm not to sure that I lost hp. Other EX's that I was beating in drag (stock pipe) races were now beating me. Then I wanted to upgrade to a different head pipe guess what...WB did not make a head pipe that fit the R4. I did find out later that the Pro Circuit head pipe would fit on the R4.

For a $150 you can get a XR400 cam, for $150 you can get a high compression piston kit, for $200-250 you can get a port job which will yield more hp for the buck. Gabe did some stock pipe mods that he says works great.

To sum it up my DMC full pipe costed me around $525 with shipping and gained maybe 1.5-2 hp. A cam, piston, port, gaskets, and a tech manual will cost you around $700 and will give you a estimated 10 hp gain.

I've been through all of the stages and have a pretty good idea what will work best for your money. If you want to discuss this in detail e-mail me. jkatv400ex@aol.com

Jay

freakystone
01-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Pudthumper,
Exceptional information. I guess I will be taking the pricy pipe back and just relying on the the umpf of a 14 tooth.

smokin01'400
01-03-2002, 10:59 AM
pudjumper,
the reason that the other stock exs were beating you is because the R4 takes away your top end to make bottom end. I have 3 friends that put R4's on thier 400s and they all agreed that its slower top end now....but they drag race and they like the bottom end power.....I was gonna purchase an R4 but i am not sure now...they look and sound good but, i dont want to lose top end....hope this helps. sorry if i pissed ya off.:)

kabd69667
01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Well if you get a race pipe from maybe sparks, gt thunder, or lrd, the more hp your motor puts out, the more hp the pipe does

Dave400ex
01-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Kabd69667 is right. If my motor had a TC 416 Piston Kit and XC Cam with the Stock Pipe it wouldn`t be running like it should be. If I put my TC Pipe on after the motor work I would feel a huge difference after putting the Pipe on. I wouldn`t return the Pipe. I love mine. Now it could just be the Pipe, but mine sure does feel like it has more than an extra 1.5 horsepower. I would keep the Pipe.

Scott
01-03-2002, 02:39 PM
I know the 300's benefitted from a larger headpipe, but don't most of the ones for the 400 use the stock head pipe? The aftermarket headpipe I saw for a 400 looked like it was the same diameter, so where's the gain?

004exkid
01-03-2002, 02:48 PM
I think that 1.5 horse power your are taling about is the top end gain. Most pipes give a large boost in the mid range where most people ride. Also 1.5 horsepower doesnt sound like much but the over all seat of the pants feel will be greatly improved

indygncc
01-03-2002, 08:27 PM
All the exhaust out there for the 400 EX is a waste of money if you dont even race...... They are too loud to even stand. I only use my pipe the day before I head off for a race. And the main reason the R4 is slower on top end is probably b/c they did not Jet the carb and is running to lean...... if it doesnt get enough gas it wont run right at all. I use a T-4 but only b/c I bought it new for like $60 off a buddy of mine.....Maybe gives me a little more grunt out of corners thats about it.....being properly jetted is the only way I get any power out of it. A buddy of mine also has the TC supertrapp add on pipe......That's a good pipe.(prolly the best I have saw)But that pipe is extremely loud.Did you keep your stock headpipe on? If you go to an aftermarket it kills you unless you have extensive internal work..cam carb..etc....

TRX250EXER
01-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Should have gone with the e-series. its adjustable to where you want the power. Low end to high end. Plus its sounds really nice. It made my quad a lot more peppy. But thats on a little 250. I heard for the 400 the yoshi was a really good all around pipe. But I havent seen one in person. But I keep hearing bad things about the R-series. Also get the K&N Power kit and see if it makes a difference. just the pipe on a stock bike probably wont do much.

Sandragggen
01-04-2002, 01:07 AM
As far as the jetting for the R4 I went from a 158 thru 175 on the main jets. Moved the needle up and down so many times I lost count. Air box lid off. Air box lid on. K&N air filter. Stock air filter. It didn't make any difference. Even custom drilled some jets, still the same. It sounded like I was going 100 mph though.

Then I did the 440 12:1, XR400 cam, port and that woke that R4 right up. Sold the R4 and bought a full DMC, didn't see much gain with that pipe either, maybe a little on the top. Now I'm doing the larger valves and FCR41 thing and I'm sure the DMC will do just fine.

I wished I would have kept the R4 to do some dyno testing of my own to see if the pipe really makes a difference even with extreme mods. I'm betting little to none. What I'm writing is from my own experiences. Others may be different. 1st thing most people do is put a pipe on. What I'm saying is there are better ways to spend money that will reap more benefits on a EX400 other than a pipe. Put a pipe on a Banshee and you will see a good gain in hp. Put a pipe on a Raptor and you will see good hp gains. Put just a pipe on a EX400 and you have a loud quad, thinner wallet and happy pipe makers.

I think I just broke my soap box.

Jay

Dave400ex
01-04-2002, 09:47 AM
PudJumper has some very good points. I love my 400ex now with my Pipe on it. It`s just that Seat of the Pants gain. I don`t know if I picked up any horsepower, but if not it sure does feel like I did. Maybe you should get a different Pipe. My TC Pipe is awesome. I don`t think guys like riding behind me though. We stopped one time to take a break and my Dad stopped a good 15 feet behind me. He said when we went to take off again and I gave it gas he could feel the air hit his chest.

The only time when a Pipe will really help is when you mod the motor. Pudjumper has a lot of motor mods. If he still had the Stock Pipe on and then put on a Aftermarket Pipe he would feel a huge gain. With 400EX`s, I think the more you mod the engine the more the Pipe will shine.