PDA

View Full Version : need help!! 2 stroke fouling plug

YZROOSTINYA
05-27-2003, 12:33 AM
I just sold a KX250 to this guy and now he says it keeps fouling plugs.
Do you guys have any idea of what the prob might be? this is what I wrote to hime.

I know its not a EX but I need help quick. He is west of Tioga county PA.
--------------------------------------------------------
read bottom up
-------------------------------------------------------
??

Do you know anything about carbs?
There has to be some some of carb issue. Is the choke off? Are you riding it in Powerband?
Is there fuel flowing out of the carb when it is just sitting? If there is fuel flowing out of the carb then the float is sticking. There is a extra float in the bag of parts I gave you. #2 you are most likely at a higher elevation then myself which means the bike is running rich because the air is leaner. There is a screw on the side of the carb called a pilot screw. This should be adjusted to 1.5 - 2 turns out. Double check in the manual as to what it needs to be at the leanest setting and work from there.

What kind of mix are you using and what type of oil? what ratio? Should be no more than 16 oz to 4 gallons(32:1) or 16 oz to 5 gallons(40:1)

The choke should be on for start up only, maybe 5 -10 seconds? then as the cylinder warms up rev it out to blow out the smoke and prevent fouling.

This is some sort of carb issue. also put on the new reeds. I have not fouled a plug since I have had it but it was running rich. The bike started and ran for you right there in the wet none the less(Humidity does not help with starting).

Let me know what is going on and I will ask around.

I have ridden the bike around the house and started it at least 20 times. No fouling issue's. You also might want to try a hotter plug(no more than 1 hotter)

Do you have any friends that no about bikes. Do not take the bike to a shop. If need be ship me the carb and reed block and I will clean it and ship it back to you. I wish I was closer. I know I could have it running it 1/2 hour. There is a minor carb issue. Make sure none of the vent hoses are clogged our pinched.

When you say it fouled immediately, like 3 secs, 5 mins......
John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John,
Well I figured out what was wrong. I don't think I ran out of gas as I
originally suspected. The plug was fouled. I cleaned it, put it back in
and it fouled again immediately.

I repeated this process about 3 times then opened the sediment bowl
under the carburetor. Cleaned the plug again, and it still fouled it out.

I haven't been able to do a single bit of riding all weekend and am not
very happy right now.

Bob

YZROOSTINYA
05-27-2003, 06:17 AM
hello

sly400ex
05-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Well what was his reply back? It doesn't really take a lot to foul a plug in a two stroke, he is probably doing something wrong. Make sure he tries a new plug rather than cleanig the old on. Tell him to gap it properly, start it, and go rip on it. See what happens after that. IMHO, he shouldn't be bothering you about it, unless you told him you would help him out.:o

AtvMxRider
05-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Man I didn't understand none of that post. Is he letting it sit and idle?

AndrewRRR
05-27-2003, 09:18 AM
I'd just tell him how to do a plug chop and see what color it turns out. Thats the easiest way to see if it's the jetting.

YZROOSTINYA
05-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Turned out to be bad gas:eek: