PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to my 400ex

Dune Surfer
05-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Well after cracking my case and frying my rings I have decided to sell my quad. I bought a used stock engine off e-bay. After I install the engine I'm going to sell the good parts off the engine with the cracked case, and all the after market parts I have installed. With whatever money I have left over after paying it off I am going to buy a preditor, or Rapter.
I enjoyed my ex but I always wanted more power. Riding at Glamis with Banshee's all day was just to much for it. To hot out there. I want a water cooled bike with more power. Here is a pic of my baby on it's last trip:(

MOFO
05-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Thats too bad to hear... hope you stay around.

I could understand what you mean when you need more power out there in the dunes... good luck with your next purchase!

One question, what are those lights on the handle bars? Do they work well?

EDIT: go ahead, call me an idiot, but whats the light for down by the oil filter/lines area? :confused: Almost looks like its being used as a heat lamp or somethin...

CHAUNCY
05-26-2003, 05:04 PM
I guess its for the better:ermm: You should get a banshee IMO if you want a 2 stroke. Mods are relatively cheap and they fly. But if you want a 4 stroke I say go with the raptor or pred or even Yamaha's new sport quad. Anyhow I wish you luck with your next purchase.

remlapr
05-26-2003, 05:09 PM
If rode Dunes (I wish) - I think I would have a DS650, those things are monsters - not sure how they hold up though, they are suppose to be coming with the new "revised" DS soon for '04.

JOEX
05-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Sorry to see you letting it go:(
If you consider parting it out, let me know about the front shocks.

Joe

airheadedduner
05-26-2003, 05:18 PM
R

Do I need to say more??:D :devil: :macho

Dune Surfer
05-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Thats too bad to hear... hope you stay around.

I could understand what you mean when you need more power out there in the dunes... good luck with your next purchase!

One question, what are those lights on the handle bars? Do they work well?

EDIT: go ahead, call me an idiot, but whats the light for down by the oil filter/lines area? :confused: Almost looks like its being used as a heat lamp or somethin...

The trail teck lights work great 2.5 times brighter than stock. Plus they aim where you point your bars.
The light was being used to cure thr jb weld we were trying on my cracked case

Dune Surfer
05-26-2003, 05:29 PM
I will be selling all of the aftermarket stuff after I sell the quad stock. Check my sig for what is available. The cam only has twenty min of riding on it the shocks four trips, scoops one trip, pep stabilazer one trip

05-26-2003, 05:58 PM
:confused:

Are you sure about what you want :)

Banshees are a blast and I bet more so at the dunes than out here but I would deff think of getting one to complement the honda but absolutely not to replace it. The Raptor will be a lot easier than the shee due to the 4stroke low end power etc but then your looking at all the suspension and intake/exh mods like you did on the ex anyhow.

I understand your wanting more power, and believe me so do I but I want more power like what I have now. Not a top end screaming two smoke that makes you ride it on the pipe all day long (I still love riding them but they do make you work harder) or a four stroke that was made to run like the two stroke and has a serious problem with bottom end power (pred) or a 4 stroke that is choked up and starved for air and got put into a way too tall frame (rap) etc etc etc etc.

What I am getting at is that there isnt a real great "new quad" that I would think of replacing the EX with (cannondale was starting to look good and was being considered b4 the bankruptcy) There are some good quads out there and you guys have mentioned most of them but there all missing something and not much if any faster than my 440 and then there are those trade offs like handing and weight etc. I dont want to get into a power argument so dont anyone try but there just isnt that much difference between the average modded new stuff and the correctly prepped lighter Ex.

I am waiting for a "new quad" that fills the current void to show up so I have something to look forward to in a couple years ( I dont buy first year models, and let you other guys help the mfg R&D all the bugs out) as a replacement for the ex as I would love a similar machine with updated engine and water cooling etc but I am not giving up all the other benefits of engineering and handling etc etc to get it.

On the fence :D

Max400
05-26-2003, 07:25 PM
How much for the nerf bars?

sandrooster
05-26-2003, 10:02 PM
This may be an blessing is disguise to get a new Honda.

I've been hearing rumors of a CRF450 motor based quad for a few months. The last one mentioned an august debut.

Dex
05-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
If rode Dunes (I wish) - I think I would have a DS650, those things are monsters - not sure how they hold up though, they are suppose to be coming with the new "revised" DS soon for '04.
That would be my first choice for the dunes http://www.bombardier-atv.com/atv/web/jsp/999_mainPage.jsp?Params=N.CAEN.105.32#
<edit> Ok you gotta click on X package the link wont take you direct to X Package
there is the shortcut to the new X package DS650 Baja for 2004.

My 2nd choice would be the pred cause I like its unique styling.

3rd Banshee you should be able to find hopped up Banshees for sale easily and find yourself a dumptruck load of aftermarket parts to go with it on ebay for cheap.

Str8Wicked
05-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Get an R.... you remember that guy Chris with the clean 89 R that rode with us that day in Glamis.... His R is reliable as a mo fo and never has problems... Plus it's fast as hell and if you build it right like he did you can run stock bore and kill guys with 330 kits.... it's all in the compression and porting.....

monkeyboy
05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
dunz serferz Y u nott git on da gass likk a mofo:confused:

anywhereEx
05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Well said 440EX4me.

And monkey it seems like he gett on da gas likk a mofo a little to much with the cracked case.....

the cure CRF:D

F-16Guy
05-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Sent you a PM.

DEAL
05-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Shocks? $$?

phatswinn
05-28-2003, 01:35 PM
thats the same thing im doing, i know how it is, my countershaft stripped then when i got a new one in my oil pump died...time for a 400ex:D

Dune Surfer
05-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, I love my 400. But at 240+ lbs I need more cc's to pull me up the big dunes. Even my built 426 is overworked and gets hot. I'm thinking 500-660 cc's water cooled might be better for my weight. If I cracked my case from jumping in the sand what is going to happen to my frame over time? I have to over work this quad to ride the way I want to ride.
I won't be selling any aftermarket parts until I can sell my quad. As soon as It's sold I will post pics and prices for all of it I can't use on my new quad. I'll give EXriders a week to pic through it before I put it all on ebay. At least it is all pretty new:D
Honda or not I'll still be at exriders;)

Glamis400ex
05-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Remember what we talked about Tony...don't leave me hangin dude...you know...;)

Glamis

Chanman420q
05-28-2003, 02:47 PM
i wouldnt get the preditor.... they do horrible in the dunes..

DS, Banshee or a Raptor are ur best bets, DS out of all of them. They are basicly made for the dunes, and are fast as chit!!! i rode one, one time and it was a blast, id just get a steering stablizer for that biznatch!! :D

Dune Surfer
05-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q

DS, Banshee or a Raptor are ur best bets, DS out of all of them. They are basicly made for the dunes, and are fast as chit!!! i rode one, one time and it was a blast, id just get a steering stablizer for that biznatch!! :D

Horrible in the dunes? have you tried one in the dunes? I have seen them at Glamis and they climbed like a mo fo. Please explain before I decide.
DS= to heavy
Banshee= can't ride cali trails in sumer
Rapter= tippy, would need a-arms, still in the picture.

Dune Surfer
05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Remember what we talked about Tony...don't leave me hangin dude...you know...;)

Glamis
no worries bud. One thing I am is good to my word;)

CHAUNCY
05-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer

Banshee= can't ride cali trails in sumer

Are you talking about the red sticker junk ? If so I wouldnt let that stop you. At gorman and stuff they dont care as long as you have a sparky and helmet it seems like. I have taken my kx100 there and they dont say anything. Also if you get one older than 2003 you will get a green sticker. They are sending green stickers to all red stickers that were issued. Thas what the guy at the DMV said :ermm: But predators are good too so its all personal preference:ermm:

QuadJunkies
05-28-2003, 07:58 PM

DS, Banshee or a Raptor are ur best bets, DS out of all of them. They are basicly made for the dunes, and are fast as chit!!! i rode one, one time and it was a blast, id just get a steering stablizer for that biznatch!! :D Oh reallly?? Sand is all I primarily ride....:eek2: the Predator is kickin on the sand... TOny I talked to a guy this wk end that just got back from St. A's.... Saw a guy take Choke ....All stock....:devil: .. theres a lot of good machines out ther good luck in what ever you choose... Those Shees kick butt on sand I do admit,but why is it they are down more than they are riding???:o Ive had a few friends tell me they love the power but hate the Shee for most anything else .. Some poeple just dont like the 2 strokes and having to turn a wrench as much. ITs all in preferece and what exactly you want if for I guess. I personally wouldnt mind an R myself.....:cool: :blah: Tony, lets talk "shock talk "when you come to Idaho....:D

Dune Surfer
05-29-2003, 04:41 AM
Tony, lets talk "shock talk "when you come to Idaho....:D [/B][/QUOTE]

QJ
Did you get the rezzies with your predator? Do you think it is a good idea and worth the $$. Also are the front shocks single,double rate? Did you install a K&N with your pipe? and did it help with the bottom end?
Really sorry for all the questions, your the only one I know that has a pred. My biggest concern is the lack of bottom end. What do you think?
tony

Flyin#3-1/2
05-29-2003, 04:44 AM
get a banshee! mods are expensive though, but it's worth it...they FLY!!

Dune Surfer
05-29-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Flyin#3-1/2
get a banshee! mods are expensive though, but it's worth it...they FLY!!
Can't ride a shee in calli in the summer:(

QuadJunkies
05-29-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Tony, lets talk "shock talk "when you come to Idaho....:D

QJ
Did you get the rezzies with your predator? Do you think it is a good idea and worth the $$. Also are the front shocks single,double rate? Did you install a K&N with your pipe? and did it help with the bottom end?
Really sorry for all the questions, your the only one I know that has a pred. My biggest concern is the lack of bottom end. What do you think?
tony [/B][/QUOTE] Tony, why dont you give me a Buzz and Troy and I will talk to you all about it and the trip coming up.. Sound good?? Ill PM you my phone number...;) As for the bottom end.... Yes, installed a K&N direct to the carb and and it helped alot, I think changing over to a 13 tooth will help also the bottom end could still be better, but a pipe and airbox mod or eliminating it all together like ours is, will help over all gains ..Its a screamer in mind to top end now:blah:

Chanman420q
05-29-2003, 08:34 AM
i read in one of those atv mags that they didnt do good in the sand... maybe it was just the tire they were using, but from my understanding it just wasnt a dune machine....

own2424
05-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Yo Dune Surfer, since you want a 4stroke, get a Predator. When I was at glamis a couple months ago, I saw a bone stock Predator climbing hills like WHOA! It was killing stock Raptors up, I think its a nice quad for the dunes...IMO I think Banshee is the best but thats just my opinion. Raptors didn't impress me too much out in the dunes while I was there.

310Rduner
05-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Dunersurfer..

All my riding buddy's with banshees that are red stickered just received theyre green stickers. its part of something Yami is doing because they wont be able to make 2 strokes after 2006 when the new epa guidelines take effect, so they're trying to sell as many as possible, as well as encourage others to buy it by getting them Green stickered now.

some one else previously said this already, but it seems you didnt see it...?

like he also said, all new 2003 and more shees will now be green stickered as well.... It will pretty much be what they did with the r's all green stickered...

still.. either raptor or pred, the pred has great power, none of the chassis problems as the raptor... comes with Nice lt suspension, and you could prolly save money not having to modify handling that much unless you still wanted to for serious handling

however they do seem a little too twitchy in the dunes because of the pro-link, but i havent put much time on them myself. so far my buddy's are pretty happy with them.

good luck:)

QuadJunkies
05-29-2003, 07:02 PM
i read in one of those atv mags that they didnt do good in the sand... maybe it was just the tire they were using, but from my understanding it just wasnt a dune machine.... Yeah, I read that article too, dont believe everything those mags have to say;) Its an incredible quad......:cool:

06-02-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Yeah, I read that article too, dont believe everything those mags have to say;) Its an incredible quad......:cool:

True I love my quad too :rolleyes: ;)