PDA

View Full Version : blown gasket

luvmyex
05-26-2003, 09:36 AM
What damage could happen from a blown gasket?i need stripped bolt fixed and it started leaking yesterday at that bolt.going on a trip thurs.and dont have time to fix it before i go.Will it hurt it to run a weekend on a blown gasket?

Ryan
05-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Which Gasket did you blow :confused: .

DEAL
05-26-2003, 10:53 AM
A side cover gasket shouldn't hurt, It will just make a mess and depending on how bad its leaking you might want to carry a little oil with you.
As for a head gasket ... don't ride it at all if thats the case.

skemp
05-26-2003, 10:57 AM
If it is in fact a head gasket, do not run it. The leak can erode the aluminum mating surfaces and cause them to not seal properly. If it is some other gasket, such as a side cover, just carry some oil with you and WATCH THE OIL LEVEL. It will make a mess but shouldn't hurt anything else. I am guilty of running my quad for a weekend when I had a leak in my right crankcase cover.

Ryan
05-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Get some "Gasket Maker" Or "Sillicone" And you should be away to get away with that for the week.

But like what was said... If it is the head gasket, don't ride it!

luvmyex
05-26-2003, 12:01 PM
man! its the head gasket.the one between the cyclinder and the head.And i was going to Haitfield-Mccoy.GRRRRR!

skemp
05-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Sorry to hear that. If you really busted your *** you could get a gasket and stick it in there in a couple hours and be able to go on the trip. It just really would be a bad idea to ride it with a blown head gasket.

tprender
05-26-2003, 03:32 PM
I had about the same problem that you are having about a month ago. Had to put a new piston in on Friday, as we were putting it together the back bolt spripped in the head. Put a heli-coil in(long one) with a 110 length bolt. Put a 90 mm bolt in the front but no heli-coil. Left for Baja, Mexico on Wed. Made about 25 miles on the first day and the head started to leak. Had to ride it a total of 150 miles to get to the place where the chase truck was and trailer. when we came home the treads were gone in the front bolt hole. Put a long heli-coil in the front bolt hole and went for a ride this past weekend. the head is still leaking. will pull it apart this week and check it out again. this time will try some sealer on the head gasket and maybe that will help it hold.
I had to ride with the bad gasket in Mexico, maybe that is why it will not seal this last time.
When you put it together use bolts in the front and rear of grade 5 or better. the lengths are 90mm and 110mm. Make sure that you put in the long heli-coil or stack 2 short one's for each hole. Good luck getting them to line up.

luvmyex
05-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Where can i find a heli-coil? i have no idea where to look!

MIKE400EX
05-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Larger Hardware stores, industriual supply shops, MSC, Graingers, Automotive/Truck engine rebuilders, Motorcycle repair shops, import car repair shops, even Home Depot & Lowes have some. Just take the bolt so you can get right size and thread pitch. You'll need the kit with the correct o/s drill and tap, and the installer.