PDA

View Full Version : Shoveled Jumps

cheetah
05-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Let's see your jumps you built using a shovel and who has the largest. A shovel is about all I got to build jumps with and I wanna see how realistically it is to build large jumps with a shovel. So who's is biggest?

lil400exman
05-26-2003, 09:40 AM
just make sure you eat your wheaties man! a shovel jump take alot of dirt and work...............:eek2: i tried and tired and then i rented a bobcat and got my dozer out and it was done in 2 hours....:p

cheetah
05-26-2003, 12:35 PM
I thought about doing that. We own a dozier, 5 wheel loaders, and a bobcat, but they are all at our business and my dad won't let me use them.:mad: Even if I could though I don't think I would have the room for a big jump.

Nausty
05-26-2003, 12:40 PM
don't even bother making it with a shovel.:scary:

remlapr
05-26-2003, 12:46 PM
We used to make bike jumps out of old furniture people would throw out - we would throw an old couch or recliner or whatever we would come across in the back of my buddies old beat up truck and haul it back to our trails then build it into a jump using just shovels.

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 12:48 PM
i have a few good jumps i used a shovel to make. i made them back when i was more stupid than i am now :eek2: but my digital camera is messed up so i had to take a pic out my window withthe web cam:(

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 12:49 PM
it looks really flat but it is really about 5 1/2 feet tall:ermm:

Foxrage
05-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Hey for all you wimps....I built a decent track with a shouvel.. your right it took forever but its worth it now....This summer ill get something to help tho....Good luck

flyin#5
05-26-2003, 02:26 PM
i build all mine with shovels!:macho

flyin#5
05-26-2003, 02:28 PM
landing... btw in that las pic the jump face is 24ft long:eek2:

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
i build all mine with shovels!:macho

i see it's still muddy but i'm glad it's not flooded anymore:eek:

mysticfalcon
05-26-2003, 02:30 PM
heres ours.
shovels suck!

flyin#5
05-26-2003, 02:34 PM
double... pics always make jumps look small... the gap is 20ft and the whole thing is 28ft. jump is 3ft high

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by mysticfalcon
heres ours.
shovels suck!

that looks very much like one of my jumps i made with a shovel. i will have to get a new digital camera and take pics:confused2

mysticfalcon
05-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by QuAdRaCeR244
that looks very much like one of my jumps i made with a shovel. i will have to get a new digital camera and take pics:confused2
that one is about 4.5' tall i dont know how far it'll send ya. It hasnt been hit since we made it that big cause theres 3 dead quads in my garage right now. hopefully they'll be running later this week.

QuadTrix6
05-26-2003, 02:49 PM

QuadTrix6
05-26-2003, 02:50 PM
backside 100% shovels took a while with 3 guys

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Looks nice John

QuadTrix6
05-26-2003, 02:51 PM
sucked cause it was sandy we had to keep re building it cause of the loose sand getting rutted :ermm:

flyin#5
05-26-2003, 02:56 PM
yeah sand sucks! i wont ever build a jump with sand again! black dirt turns so hard and it doesnt rut up as much at all...

Nausty
05-26-2003, 04:15 PM
should of put carpet on top. If you make dirt hits and you want it to stay nice wet it down w/ a lil water when you first make it and ride up and down it a few times w/ out going over the lip that way you can get rid of all the little ruts and its perfectly formed for your tires. Then it dries hard after baking in the sun and as long as you don't have people riding over the jumps or dropping the clutch up the face they should last you a long time.

The reason I say shovels arn't worth it is because by the time you spend so many hours making the ramp you'll get to jump it a few times and then the next day some guy on a 4x4 will ride over it and bring down the face, tear down the lip and the rain will wash a lot of it away since you can't pack it near as good without equipment.

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
should of put carpet on top. If you make dirt hits and you want it to stay nice wet it down w/ a lil water when you first make it and ride up and down it a few times w/ out going over the lip that way you can get rid of all the little ruts and its perfectly formed for your tires. Then it dries hard after baking in the sun and as long as you don't have people riding over the jumps or dropping the clutch up the face they should last you a long time.

that's a good idea

roostin_dale
05-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Find an old refridgerator(sp), trash can, couch, or anything of that sort. Then just cover it with dirt. All i really have is a shovel also, so this works for me.

kxrider
05-27-2003, 06:36 AM
the landing was done witha bob cat the rest shovels

nacs400ex
05-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah I had a little quarter pipe step up thing in these hydro lines, but the god damn 4x4's see it and think its a hill climb or something lol. Stupid idiots always wreck my jumps. One time I made the nicest but small triple with a shovel, it took me a long time to build. The day after I got to ride it, it was crushed, so I gave up. The guy that ran it over rides some big sportsman. He knew damn well I made it. So whenever I see him, I roost the hell out of him. I dont care who hits the jumps I make, but if you wreck it, you should fix it. Sorry, just got back from a small ride, and found out my other jumps are wrecked. :mad:

flyin#5
05-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Nausty

The reason I say shovels arn't worth it is because by the time you spend so many hours making the ramp you'll get to jump it a few times and then the next day some guy on a 4x4 will ride over it and bring down the face, tear down the lip and the rain will wash a lot of it away since you can't pack it near as good without equipment.

all true! but what i do is take the top soil (my track is in a part that is really wet during the spring so its nice black dirt and very moist) then i just keep digging around and getting more topsoil which is really packed. then i run over it a bunch of times then i build my lip up... let the sun bake it then i let it rain (way better for the jump than you putting water on it) then i let it bake again. by then that jump is as packed as it will get and hard as heck on top!

QuAdRaCeR244
05-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
all true! but what i do is take the top soil (my track is in a part that is really wet during the spring so its nice black dirt and very moist) then i just keep digging around and getting more topsoil which is really packed. then i run over it a bunch of times then i build my lip up... let the sun bake it then i let it rain (way better for the jump than you putting water on it) then i let it bake again. by then that jump is as packed as it will get and hard as heck on top!

that is pretty much what i do too.

Rip_Tear
05-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Glad I don't use a shovel to build jumps... (I do use one to fix my trails...), but you all did a good job :D

exkid110
05-27-2003, 10:49 AM
I have a 50 footer in my yard hand built really fun jump i still gotta get some pics when i do ill post it

svwildcats
06-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Here are a few of mine...they were originally piles of dirt from archialogists (sp) digging for indian stuff but they left so my brother and I shaped them into jumps and added landings. We still need to work on them, the landings a a little small.

This one is of 2 of the jumps, the closest is the backside and landing of a 25 footer which is going to be made longer as soon as I get comfortable on it, and there is a small step up in the background, its hard to make out.

svwildcats-

svwildcats
06-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to resise the pics first. I'll resize and post them later.

svwildcats-

Flyin#3-1/2
06-19-2003, 06:52 AM
tyler...i have a question...what do you hit your jumps with??:confused2 :confused2 :ermm:

kxrider
06-21-2003, 05:28 PM
this is our new one, til i get my ramp out there then its bein a landin, btu we are rednecks with bikes, we dont make landin ramps, lol this is goin to be a first , and yes we did finish it since the pic, we put more dirt at the bottom

blasterrider123
06-23-2003, 07:37 PM
i dont have a pic but my jump i built by shovel is like 2 and a half feet tall and it is made of all dirt it took me like 3 days to build

Slick
06-27-2003, 05:15 PM
The reason I say shovels arn't worth it is because by the time you spend so many hours making the ramp you'll get to jump it a few times and then the next day some guy on a 4x4 will ride over it and bring down the face, tear down the lip and the rain will wash a lot of it away since you can't pack it near as good without equipment. [/B][/QUOTE]

amen to the 4x4 part!!! this guy on a kodiak with some giant outlaw tires went through and messed up our jumps that we had worked on for a month....so now next week im going to go up in this field behind my house and build some new jumps with my dads backhoe so only me and my friends can go tear em up!

One_Bad_400
06-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Our jump is about 35 feet long and about 7 feet wide and we shuveled it all

300exlunatic
07-01-2003, 06:27 PM
your crazy

DESDAK4
07-02-2003, 01:06 AM
The guy on the Raptor built this jump with a shovel in just about 15 min.

Jay
USAF
AMMO