PDA

View Full Version : steering stem

big-guy
01-02-2002, 06:07 PM
What does a bent stem feel like? The first day I got my ex, a friend rolled it and bent a tierod, we fixed that, but it seems to take a lot of effort to steer...I wonder...
And no, it's not because I'm a weakling, I could see that one coming. :)

004exkid
01-02-2002, 06:38 PM
The stock stems do bend easy (im riding a bent one rite now). But im guessing you just need to lube your steeringstem bushing. Pull the cap off the stem mount and grease that baby up it should make a world of difference if it is dry.

400exRacerX
01-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Yeah I'm riding on a bent one too, if you look at the handle bars you can see my handle bars are tweeked just alittle, you have to look really close. Plus the fact after I rolled the quad when ever I turned the bars it would squeek like crazy. I need a new one but don't have the cash for a aftermarket one and don't want to blow my money away on a stock one so I can just bend it again.

out4sand
01-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Ours was bent this summer after it was rolled. With ours the handle bars just sat kinda a little funny & were pushed back some and also the bottom of the handle bar clamp was rubbing the plastic that covers the tank. I think your better off riding it bent if you can until you can afford an aftermarket unit because sure enough you'll bend the new stock one just as soon as you put it on; that's just how things seem to go, well for me at least. I just purchased an LSR anti-vibe steam for our 400ex. I can't wait to hit the sand and try it out.

http://out4sand.tripod.com

Tommy 17
01-02-2002, 08:23 PM
i bent my faire share of them... mayb ur toe in toe out isn't right when mine was off it wouldn't steer right and it was hard to turn... check that...

chris29
01-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Yeah stock 400 steering stems bend real easy I have done bent two of them. Im getting the houser steering stem next. Not buying that cheap a** stocker again.

400MXer
01-02-2002, 10:37 PM
How much do you pay for the stockers. I pay $40, i figure, i can bend 8 or 9 of them and still be under the price of an aftermarket one. And, when i first bend them, i just pull them out, heat em up, and bend it back. then if i bend it again after that, i buy a new one.

01-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Well guys ya know if ya keep the rubber side down you won't bend the steering stems??? Duh..:D

And plus I'm sure your quad will roll better on the wheels instead of upside down...;)

Mity Mo
01-03-2002, 11:56 AM
I totally agree with Rico on this one.:p