PDA

View Full Version : 440 ex kit dyno charts

jbfoco
05-26-2003, 08:52 AM
I have spent the last few days trying to find actual dyno charts (not just peak numbers) for the various 440ex set ups people are running.

I am curious to how the powerband compares to a jetted and piped raptor?

If any one wants to post their dyno charts, or throw any numbers out there it will be much appreciated

Thank you for your time
-jbfoco

chad502ex
05-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by jbfoco
I have spent the last few days trying to find actual dyno charts (not just peak numbers) for the various 440ex set ups people are running.

If any one wants to post their dyno charts, or throw any numbers out there it will be much appreciated

Thank you for your time
-jbfoco

jbfoco,
When I first started posting here I asked the same question, but no-one returned any reslts either. Some were even offended by me asking, or the way I asked. I wish I could wipe that history away, but anyway,...... :confused:

I have some for a 490ex and a 502ex if your intested. Good luck in your search.

Chad502ex.com

shaneb
05-26-2003, 05:11 PM
click my sig 44.4 hp !!!!

Shane

05-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
jbfoco,
When I first started posting here I asked the same question, but no-one returned any reslts either. Some were even offended by me asking, or the way I asked. I wish I could wipe that history away, but anyway,...... :confused:

I have some for a 490ex and a 502ex if your intested. Good luck in your search.

Chad502ex.com

I know I would be interested to see them.

Dyno's are only as good as the tech working them etc, but there still is good info in a "adjusted" dyno chart.

Gt thunder and fmf had some interesting charts on there sites in the past but I am not sure if there still up etc but take a look.

I have spent the last few days trying to find actual dyno charts (not just peak numbers) for the various 440ex set ups people are running.I am curious to how the powerband compares to a jetted and piped raptor?

I gave up this long ago also and even though there is a dyno not too far from here I am not confident in the operator enough to bother with it. I would love to get an hour on a dyno with a capable tech and a hand full of jets to see where this engine is and where its wanting to be etc.

Your request for "not just peak" is right on and not allways in the charts posted and the torque numbers are even more rare. I was mostly interested in torque numbers cause thats what moves me (pun intended :) ) but wasnt able to find many either.

jbfoco
05-26-2003, 07:37 PM
shane- thank you for the info!!

Anyone else have a dyno to share?

remlapr
05-26-2003, 08:12 PM
there is a thread on here that has to be an all time classic that has a ton of charts and everything you could possibly want to know about dyno charts - it is an extremely LONG thread, probably take a hour to read the whole thing, just do some searches and you should find. When you get the search results just scan for a thread with probably 100+ responses and that is the one - it's an extremely interesting thread...

shaneb
05-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Chad your power curve it really flat. I wonder if your cam is too far advanced ??? You should make more the 45hp.

Maybe your cam is too small ????

What does a stock 400 make on that dyno ???

The dyno that I got my run on gave 28 to a stock 400

chad502ex
05-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by shaneb
Chad your power curve it really flat. I wonder if your cam is too far advanced ??? You should make more the 45hp.

Maybe your cam is too small ????

What does a stock 400 make on that dyno ???

The dyno that I got my run on gave 28 to a stock 400

shaneb,...
AWESOME notice, it is flat and I probally could pull a few more ponies than 46 on top end, but for woods riding (not drag) this is what curve is preferred. Ultimately, for woods or xc, you want the power and torque to be maximum as quick as possible. If you had max power and max torque at low RPM's all the way to rev limit, then the dyno chart would look like a building (straight up from idle, flat from bottom to top rpm, then straight down from limit) just like a step function. You wondering if my cam had something to do with this?? your correct it does..,,, my cam is a 479 grind for low end grunt (woods cam) not full race grind and does tend to raise the dyno level on the low end of the curve. This is why the step function dominates on my thumper. Alot is said from dyno curve, my motor is advanced 6 degrees which is another reason why the curve increases so rapidly on the low end as opposed to an exponential or linear curve most ppl are interested in seeing. Ya see, my power is peak on the entire powerband (more useuable) not just peak in one tiny tiny high rpm range like two strokes. Peak power is not what I want, I want peak power in all of powerband. Peak power in tiny hi-end of RPM is for two stroke or drag setups where acceleration plays an inportant factor. It's all what type of riding you do, not just the #'s one can make

Chad502EX.com

shaneb
05-27-2003, 04:30 PM
ok then ....

I will post the chart for my 493 when I get it. I expect it to be a bit more peaky than yours.

Do you ever go to little sahara ok ???

I will be there oct 3 .....

Shane

abcracing
05-27-2003, 04:35 PM
hey guys i have a dyno chat that has my 440ex built by FDO RACING pushing 48hp.i do not have it downloaded but can have it done.i haven't posted it on here because i am going back to the dyno in a week or 2.i have made some more mods on it and i'm switching gas.hopefully it will be over 50hp.if you would like to see the first dyno chat i can find someone to scan it in for me.

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 05:38 AM
ok then ....

I will post the chart for my 493 when I get it. I expect it to be a bit more peaky than yours.

Do you ever go to little sahara ok ???

I will be there oct 3 .....

Shane

I live on the east coast, it's hard to me to get there... I love to go tho, but low $$$.

493? how do you get that combo (bore in mm/ stroke in mm)??

Chad502EX.com

shaneb
05-28-2003, 09:08 AM
91mm piston and 76mm stroke

which I guess makes a 494.

FDO calls is a 493 .....

isn't 77x91 500cc not 502 ??

using pi * r squared * height for both calcs

Shane

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 01:03 PM
91mm piston and 76mm stroke

which I guess makes a 494.

FDO calls is a 493 .....

isn't 77x91 500cc not 502 ??

using pi * r squared * height for both calcs

Shane

cylinder volume = pi/4 x bore^2 x stroke

I just use my calculator http://www.chad502.com/techtalk

Chad502EX.com

shaneb
05-28-2003, 03:13 PM
what value did you use for pi ....

I used 3.14159265

Our formulas are the same otherwise ...

Shane

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 03:17 PM
what value did you use for pi ....

I used 3.14159265

Our formulas are the same otherwise ...

Shane

yea I pop 494.and change with your 91x76
and 501. and change for my 91x77

yes math is math, volume is volume,....

Chad502EX.com

shaneb
05-28-2003, 03:20 PM
looks ilke your are using 3.1416

but I still get 500.8 for 77x91

I could not get your page to work

Your page shows 501 for 77x91. Where did you get 502 ???

Shane

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 03:25 PM
looks ilke your are using 3.1416

but I still get 500.8 for 77x91

I could not get your page to work

Your page shows 501 for 77x91. Where did you get 502 ???

Shane

502 came from an Ol' Chevy 502 BIG BLock, and the stickers I designed (along with the 440's) years ago, but yes my motor has 501cc of piston displacement.

Chad502EX.com

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 03:26 PM
502 came from an Ol' Chevy 502 BIG BLock, and the stickers I designed (along with the 440's) years ago, but yes my motor has 501cc of piston displacement.

Chad502EX.com

Oh forgot shane, what do you mena my calculator on my website didn't work for you? what error were you getting?

Chad502EX.com

RAPTORAZ
05-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jbfoco

I don't have any dyno charts, but I can give you my opinion of my Raptor (when it was only piped and "TUNED") versus my buddies 440EX.
Here's his combo: I.M.S. 440 11:1 kit
GT Thunder cam
Head ported and polished
Stock valves and springs
Keihin 39mm FCR carb
Sparks X-6 pipe
In drag races we were pretty much a dead heat all the way up to fifth gear and then he would slowly creep away. (We weigh close to the same.) Drag racing doesn't tell the whole story though. I have plenty of seat time on his bike and it definately had more low and mid than my Rappy. It would roost away much easier when lugged. Top end felt about the same. I don't have any recent results though because my 727 isn't done. And he's in the process of doing some valve train upgrades and an alchohol conversion. Both bikes would easily kill my little 416.

chad502ex
05-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
I don't have any dyno charts, but I can give you my opinion of my Raptor (when it was only piped and "TUNED") versus my buddies 440EX.
Here's his combo: I.M.S. 440 11:1 kit
GT Thunder cam
Head ported and polished
Stock valves and springs
Keihin 39mm FCR carb
Sparks X-6 pipe
In drag races we were pretty much a dead heat all the way up to fifth gear and then he would slowly creep away. (We weigh close to the same.) Drag racing doesn't tell the whole story though. I have plenty of seat time on his bike and it definately had more low and mid than my Rappy. It would roost away much easier when lugged. Top end felt about the same. I don't have any recent results though because my 727 isn't done. And he's in the process of doing some valve train upgrades and an alchohol conversion. Both bikes would easily kill my little 416.

that 727 will fly! Who is doing it?

Chad502EX.com

RAPTORAZ
05-28-2003, 03:36 PM
that 727 will fly! Who is doing it?

Chad502EX.com

Kenz Cycle tech in Mesa. It should be done in about 3 weeks. Whoo Hoo!

shaneb
05-28-2003, 03:53 PM
never mind I got it to work Chad, I did not set it to cm, once I did all was fine !!!

chad502ex
05-29-2003, 05:59 AM
never mind I got it to work Chad, I did not set it to cm, once I did all was fine !!!

shane,

glad to see you found the problem. I was worried my displacement calculator wasn't using equeations derived from physics (volume), heh! Good to see were in agreement. I have to admit,... It's good to see you interested on how displacement is calculated. Many ATV enthuiast just "Gas and Go"!!

Chad502EX.com