PDA

View Full Version : A-arm paint?

Stevo
01-02-2002, 05:42 PM
I have a 00 400ex. My a-arms were cracking so i welded the cracks shut. I need some paint that is the same color as the honda frame paint. Does anyone know where i can buy this and what is th part #

NJ300ex
01-02-2002, 06:08 PM
try searching the forum for it because i am postive that someone posted the part number for it before on here.

DEAL
01-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Rockymountainatv sells the color that matches the honda frame i think.

400exRacerX
01-02-2002, 06:28 PM
Take them off and get them powdercoated if you got the time since its the winter.

Stevo
01-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I dunno if i need them powdercoated yet. I am planning on racing this upcoming year so i don't know how much longer i'm gonna need them.

But does anyone know a part #.

thanx

crday98
01-03-2002, 11:53 PM
i,among some others were looking for the part#,or a paint that is very close to no avail.someone did post a part# of paint from autozone in the old forum but when i went there there was no such paint:(

Atomic83
01-04-2002, 12:32 AM
I too would like to find some of that paint. My a-arms are all scraped up from saplings and weeds. With the paint scraped off, the a-arms are gonna start to rust, and i don't want that.

Scott
01-04-2002, 06:48 AM
One of my friends has honda red powedercoat, so he tells me. He has a powdercoating business on the side. He just powdercoated his frame and a-arms, but I haven't seen them yet. That might be another option for you.

Blackguywithouta400
01-04-2002, 03:44 PM
I don’t think you can safely powder coat the a arms on a 400. The Ball joints are made into the a arm and when you heat the arm after coating im sure the rubber boot will burn or the grease will run out of them and make a mess, not to mention have you priced the full bearing kit for the part that mounts at the frame. Honda Priced the A arms low enough to be replaced. I have been thinking of a way to get around this by just cutting off the stock ball joints and replacing them with ball joints from like Houser then doing some fabrication to the stock ones to make them fit, it should be real easy since once you cut off the old ball joints the stock a arms look just like the Houser ones at the end. Plus this would give a woods racer a way to have adjustable camber and caster without having to buy new a arms, in addition it would allow you to safely powder coat the a arms. So in the end the a arms would look like 1986 up a arm on 250rs. Or a set of Stock Houser set:D

Scott
01-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Yes, you can safely powdercoat a-arms with the ball joints intact.
The rubber boot is not damaged by the brief exposure to the higher temperatures. And there was no sign of any greese leaking out.

I didn't think it would work either, but it did. Tried it on an old set of junk ones first, then on the real deal. 2 of my friends have them on their 400's, powdercoated honda red, same as your hubs.

Blackguywithouta400
01-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Did you have to remove the Barings and dust seals or did u just block off he bolt holes?

01-05-2002, 02:29 PM
I safely powder coated my 300ex and 400ex a-arms without any damage or concerns. I did the same as Scott, I to put my old ones through to make sure. I first scuffed up the paint with "Scotch brite", then blocked off the rubber boot with some tape I knew would go through the oven ok. I put bolts and washers through the bearings to block the powder from entering into the bearings. Note: temperature used was 390 degrees F for 17 minutes.
Sorry, do not know the stock silver/gray paint #. :(

Scott
01-06-2002, 09:46 AM
The bearings/bushings were removed from the a-arms because they were being replaced. As long as you add grease to the bearings/bushings when you put them back on, you might be able to just use a bolt. Ex'Marlin said it worked for him.